Customs: Help, I was dumb with lacquer thinner..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NOCV, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:07 PM.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

While prepping this head for painting, I had been using lacquer thinner to remove the paint over the eyes' light piping.

I stripped the head in a mixture of lacquer thinner and alcohol, which left it looking pretty great. However, when I went to rinse it off in my Dixie cup of water, I mixed up my cups and dunked it in the one that had straight lacquer thinner in it.

Thankfully I caught the mistake almost immediately and the plastic didn't melt, but I ended up with a whole lot of fogginess on the surface. Like, it was completely white and this head is orange.

I washed it good in soap and water, and then most of it cleared away in drying. What remained I was able to rub off with between wooden toothpicks and coffee stirrers. After all of that there is still a little residue:

DSC_0854~01.jpg

So..
    A) Is it safe to paint over as is, or..
    B) Is there a cleaner or solution I can use to better remove the remaining residue

Thanks

2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I would probably do a minor (as if almost non existant) layer of sanding in the areas I could Identify. Then I would prime it and go from there.

3. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mineral spirits could work. The good stuff, not the Walmart special.
    91% alcohol is good, too.
    I do agree with the sanding comment, though. Maybe use a very fine grit, or some Tamiya sanding sticks. They have points to get into the small recesses.

4. pilot00

Last time I used White spirit in plastic, it made it swell like it had puss in it. I assume it is a matter of the type of plastic (Warhammer miniatures) but IDK if its safe in general.
    Did you have any success with it?

5. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used it to clean off some panel lining, but only a little bit. Worked wonders, though yeah, it has the potential to damage certain plastics.
    The 91% alcohol is my go-to. Soak it in there for a little while then hit it with a toothbrush.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pilot00

Hm...Well mine was an experimental run. It was a badly painted second hand....well hand....and I just dipped it in there for a while. But you got me on the alcohol %, cant remember how much it was.