Help - I want to sell on Ebay, but I'm confuse.

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by REMINATOR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am so tempting in selling my stuffs on Ebay and also to built history/scorecard but I'm kind of unsure in the procedures. If anyone could shed some lights or tips, I would really appreciated. Feel free to move this thread if it posst in the wrong section. Here are the 4 main items which I'm lost:

1 - If I have a buyer ebay account already, do I need to create another account as a seller account? If yes, would my buyer ebay scorecard transfer to my seller account or does it starts all over again with 0.
    2 - I have Paypal that use my credit card to pay stuff. So, if I'm a seller, do I have to change or register another Paypal account using a banking account?
    3 - Once the money is pay to Paypal, does it automatically transfer to my banking account or do I have to do it manually?
    4 - Shipping - How do you calculate the shipping cost? Do you have to buy a scale? If so, what's the brand and where to get one? Also, how do you avoid buyers claim that they didn't receive your item?

I have so many questions but I'm going to stop here.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. You don't need to make another ebay account to sell. Its been forever since I registered but just click on the sell tab and follow the instructions there. I think you just need to register a credit card to pay for the fees

2. Your paypal account should be linked to ebay already so you don't have to register another one. However, to accept payments, paypal requires you to register your bank account with them.

3. Transferring money is painless on paypal. It doesn't transfer automatically but its simple.

4. USPS has a shipping calculator on there website or you could use the flat rate shipping boxes they offer with priority mail.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What ^he^ said.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    4. Get a Delivery Confirmation number, or ship via UPS/Fedex that only offer trackable methods. Tracking = you're in the clear.

5. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Also be aware of those ebay fees and Paypal's fees, they can add up in a flash so do auctions instead of buy it now since that's what sucks up allot of fees.

For your sales they take a small chunk out of what you get.....

6. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    -Thanks guys for the feedback.

A couple of more questions:
    1.Ebay auction fee/ Buy it now fee and Paypal Fee. How much percentage do they charge for each one? Do they send you a bill for each auction, lump sum like weekly or monthly?

2.Sometimes when I buy from Ebay, I saw the package that sent to me has Ebay on the label form on the postage. Do you go to the post office, give them some sort of reference number, and they print you a label/postage? Along with the tracking number?

This is getting to be complicated.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. I'm not sure what percentage they charge..... but they do bill you every month automatically. Honestly, when you count the listing, paypal, and ebay fee... it comes out to a lot. I sold something for 50 dollars and all the fees ended up being 9 dollars.

2. Those are just printing labels. I've never used it because i'd rather not blow the money on ink and my post office ready post machine is hardly used. You print it at home.

Honestly, you should probably go to the ebay help desk and ask them. The assistant is live and can give you exact/correct answers to all your questions.

8. Tyjos

Ok Ebay and Paypal both take a fee.

So it's like maybe a $1 or $2 but sometimes final value fees for say a $45 item you sell, they charge you a $5 fee. or a $50 item It's a $6 fee.

The charges now these days have gotten too high to do major selling....Probably to make about $1,000+ or more off ebay you pay about $100-$150 in fees.

They bill you on a date during the month not sure.

Thank goodness for that printing online labels, I use it all the time and it takes the money out of the paypal account. [Best to wait till after you print off shipping to transfer your money to your bank account]

9. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're going to be doing a decent amount of shipping, purchasing a postal scale doesn't hurt either (any decent office supply store should have them and they're relatively inexpensive). I have one that measures up to 10lbs and it makes it so my shipping rates are always spot on for people and never scare buyers away.

10. Tyjos

This is a must have, I have a small scale and it is great.

After all it saves you gas too having to go to the post office all the time to weigh something.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You must not get people on the west coast or packages over 1lb, then (I'm in PA, so that's quite east). I tell people shipping is $10 for anything over 1lb and they get ridiculously offended. So I tell them the info. And they don't believe it. And I lose sales/trades all the time for shit like that. It's not my fault I can send it to Canada for cheaper than I can send it to populated parts of my own damn country, that's just how it works. And flat-rate pisses them off, too. Not my fault again.

/rant

Seriously, though, if you're just gonna say "Shipping is $DOLLARS", figure out the absolute maximum you'll have to pay to mail it, and go with that number.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It may sound complicated at first, but once you start doing it, it gets pretty simple. Find a local shipper that you like, and become friends with them. We use a mom-pop kind of store instead of the local post office and we get much better service. All of my buyers/traders have been very happy when I've shipped from mom-pop place. But as everybody else said, tracking is your number one safety net. It proves you've shipped it and it's in the hands of the post office. And yes, UPS and Fedex are much better at tracking as USPS is. USPS can sometimes delay their tracking information two or three days behind.
    Anyway, once you've sold 3-4 items, it becomes easy and sometimes fun!