Help! I ordered from Toys 'N' Joys! >.<

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Darthrai, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Darthrai

Darthrai Well-Known Member

So I pre-ordered a couple of Pokémon Black and White toys from toysnjoys.com yesterday before I read that so many customers had problems with them in the past. To be honest, for now I don't think that they mean it (they're a family-run small business in Hawaii that has to deal with a huge volume of international orders), but after reading the reviews, I realized that something has to be done if I need to maximize my chances of the order going through successfully.

I took preliminary measures by emailing them about the order right after reading the reviews, so what other measures would you recommend taking so that the order comes through safe, sound, undamaged and with the correct items? (It's a pre-order for new items, so I have a feeling it has a smaller chance of arriving damaged, but still...)

Any help would be appreciated! :) 

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Cancel the order if you can.

3. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Rule 2 of Toy Collecting: Never order from Toys N Joys.

At this point, I'd wait until the alleged release date for the toys has passed by a week or two and actually give them a chance to ship.

4. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Or keep on their case once the release date arrives.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i say play the waiting game and preorder them from another source (if they rent too expensive, that way if you get it from both you can resale, if toys n joys doesnt deliver, at least u will have the toys from a reliable source, then u can feud with the other

6. Darthrai

Do you think cancelling now would be more effective than cancelling in, say, December?

Well, I ordered two items, one of which is supposed to ship October 31, and the other one of which is supposed to ship at an ambiguous date in "October" (however, other stores in the U.S. and Japan already have those in stock, although I was pretty much forced to order from TnJ because they're one of the few stores that doesn't use PayPal, and at the moment PayPal is acting up quite a bit).

When would you say would be a good time to bring up the issue again? I hear that people who contact them by phone seem a bit more likely to have their orders come through successfully, so should I contact them by phone or (from your experience) does it not make much of a difference?

Also, does it make a difference if they manage to send a reply to the email I already sent them about the order? In it, I asked when the items were going to arrive and how much shipping to Canada would take, and also asked whether they offer group discounts.

7. Darthrai

bump

8. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    Don't bump it'll get you banned. Only in the Ebay or B/S/T forums.
    Sorry if I acted like a mod.

9. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Just cancel your order now, don't even bother to wait till the release date and see if they ship. Don't even give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it matters if they reply to your email or not since they can always just not ship your items IF they ever do arrive. I'm sure you can order these pokemon toys somewhere else even without paypal.

10. Deszaras79

Deszaras79 I ♥ Brickformers

A few month ago I ordered my Eldoran Gekiryuger for 70$ from them. After I placed my order I also read the horror-reviews. My item was an 'in stock'-item and two weeks after my order was placed I had it (shipped to Europe). So, my experience with them was good..

11. Darthrai

Did you call them or something? I hear that customers who call the store early enough generally get their orders noticed and have successful transactions, and I also noticed that the store had a slightly higher volume of negative complaints around 2008 or so...

Also, the possibility occurred to me that the chances of getting a bad transaction with the store could be lower than I thought, but customers who undergo unsuccessful transactions with the store are more vocal about it than customers who go through with no problem (since generally people are more compelled to write a review for a store if they have complaints...). Does anyone know, currently, what percentage of TnJ's customers come through with successful transactions, and what percentage of customers have to end up complaining to the BBB and such?

Also, how easy is it to cancel an order on the site? What I'm afraid of is that I cancel the order but the store doesn't issue a refund.

12. Darthrai

Actually, you all seem to say that cancelling right away is the best option... so if I cancel today (before the order can be processed) and I make it known that I'm cancelling the order, will my credit card not be charged?

13. Deszaras79

Deszaras79 I ♥ Brickformers

I never called them. After I ordered I send two mails, because I didn't got any respond and then recieved an order confirmation and later a shippment confirmation.

14. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Those bastards screwed a buddy of mine over on some Zoids. What was funny was when they tried to Jedi-mind f---- him over the phone into thinking that he wanted the crap they had sent instead.

15. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Wait what? I've never heard THAT one before.

16. Darthrai

Talking about this story?

ROBOPLASTIC APOCALYPSE-Incomprehensible Transmissions from the Nostrodomatron

Anyway yeah, I cancelled my order and got a bunch of similar Pokémon figures from a much more reputable site instead. I will NEVER buy from toysnjoys again unless I magically move to Hawaii and have a chance to visit their store in person.

Thanks for the help guys :) 

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Good move. They're just not worth taking any chances with.

Ordered some Amdrivers from them a few years ago. They finally shipped them a year later. lol

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

WOW..i ordered a japanese playstation 2/the transformers and macross PS2 game and the PS1 VFX2 macross game from them and i had no problem w/them..shipping took awhile but nothing i wasnt expecting since they are in hawaii and at the time i was in ND.(this was a while ago tho)..news to me:eek: 

19. Darthrai

I hear that some people (like Roanstalker) went along fine ordering from TnJ, but too many other people complained - although there's a chance that everything will work out all right, the risk of losing money on your order is too high.

Plus, I read something on another forum about how the store claimed that they have Super Mario Shy Guy plushies in stock - despite the fact that no official Shy Guy plushie exists, and they stole the picture from someone's deviantART (the plushies were custom).

20. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Hm, I think there's a Toys N' Joys at Austin, but I never went there. But yea, I guess they are bad, due to everyone's complaints about them.