HELP - I am a plastic crack Transformers Addict!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Wow, I just realized that I have an obsession and I need help before I go nuts with Plastic crack.

Multiple times in my collecting I have uttered the words, I will just get these figures and stop. Then all the sudden I see some figures I have missed and say, ok, I need that as well. Well, a friend of mine said, I will never stop, so I am extremely worried at this point as I just put together a want list, and I may be losing my mind. I spent a fortune in the last 2 months, and about to spend another fortune. Here is my current want list that I am about to buy:

- Quintessons: Quint-01, Quint-02, Quint-03
    - MP Rodimus Prime
    - FP Warbot Defender
    - FP TFX Protector Trailer
    - Henkei C-18
    - Henkei C-19
    - Unicron
    - CDMW - 07A: Rumbe Set
    - CDMW - 07B: Frenzy Set
    - Encore #19: Original Cassettes

Not to mention I am debating getting Arcee, but wanting to see the new mold of that Takara/Hasbro will do.

HELP ME. How do I stop? This is like another $900 in figures. NOOOOOOOOOO!

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Set a monthly budget for yourself; it will train you to make decisions more thoughtfully.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was going to say the best thing you can do is cut back and limit yourself to what you allow yourself to get.

I have a list, if a transformer isn't on the list I don't get it but your list there looks to be pretty expensive, if there's a certain one you want more than the others I say go for that and wait a month for the next purchase.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    What you wanted to do was go to an AA meeting to fight your crack addiction. What you did was walk into a crack house to fight it.

We are all plastic crack heads here so I can't see you getting any real help.

I'll give you the advice most will end up giving you. As long as your priorities are in check and you only spend on TFs after all your bills are paid and your food is bought then you aren't in serious trouble.

The rest of the people will most likely tell you to simply stop buying but won't tell you how to achieve that. lol

Thanx
    Transbot90210

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quitting cold turkey could just as easily cause you to rebound onto another, way not-as-cool hobby.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If you really have an issue, this isn't the place to seek help.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, all the priorities are in check. The fact is, I rarely if ever spend any money on anything. I have plenty of money in the bank and all, it's just I feel weird spending so much.

I argued about purchasing a PS3 for months cause it was too expensive, but I go out and spend thousands on TF without blinking. I just need it stop. LOL. I just need there not to be any more cool figures.

The problem I have on the above want list is the fact it is a you snooze you lose type of want list. If I don't get em now, they will either not be in stock for many months to come or they will be a lot more to buy down the line.

For these figures I have listed, do you guys think I can easily find them in lets say 6 months?

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Lose your job. That's how I cut down my spending.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    close your account on transformer related forums, stop visiting sites that sell transformers and box up the ones you have and either sell them or put them in the attic. .... maybe out of sight (over time) out of mind. otherwise, you better start saving cause your gonna have an expensive feb :)  but an awesome feb :) 

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I have had a couple of collections get away from me. First it was building aircraft models, then it was building Gundams. It seemed like a cycle to me: 1) find fun hobby 2) hobby the crap out of it until my hobby room is overflowing and I have no more room 3) realize I've gone too far and liquidate 95% of the collection.

So after the Gundam episode I decided to break the cycle! I only buy what I call "signature" pieces now. For example I don't need to own every mold of Optimus Prime ever released, just a single MP version. So far this new system has worked out pretty well for me. I get way fewer pieces, give a LOT more thought before I purchase something than I once did and each piece represents a very specific aspect of my robot mania. When I see collection pics of people's rooms full of robots from floor to ceiling on every wall I feel like my smaller collection makes each piece more special.

I have to admit the generations line is giving me fits trying to stick to my system. I am a dedicated geewunner and a lot of the molds look so amazing. I am going to try to placate myself with just a Wheeljack, but like a former smoker I know I could pick up the crazy collector habit again in a heartbeat so it takes eternal vigilance! :) 

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:

FEB?? Between hasbro, RTS/Generation, The Movie and TF: Prime Toys, TakaraTomy and 3rd party items this is going to be a very expensive year but an awesome year.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I must have a serious, serious problem because my want list is easily double that....

Hey man as long as the bills are paid what you spend on transformers or other hobbies is alright IMO. It's when that newly released figure becomes more important than your family or electricity bill that it's a problem.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    The way I look at it, I am only collecting G1 remakes. I am not collecting the Reissues except for Soundwave, because he is awesome. And maybe Frenzy and Rumble as they are one with Soundwave. But other then that, it is G1 only, so I guess that saves me a bit.

I just worry that once the G1 is done, I will look at something else and be like, oh, I want that! Then I am screwed!

So what stuff do we have coming in February on the Fan side of things?

14. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    feb=february sorry for the confusion

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't worry too much about what happens after you are done with your , what I assume to be , Classics collection.

Series you most likely won't be tempted by

Beast wars
    Beast Machines
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron
    Live Action Movie.

Series you may want to keep yoru distance from

Original G1
    6" Titanium
    Animated
    Alternators
    Tf: Prime but too soon to tell how G1 it will be.

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear that. I've recently slimmed my collection down to characters who are iconic to me or ones that I like. Generations and RTS are very close to the best transformers ever made and make it very hard to say no when it's characters i liked from the cartoon.

17. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Over the years of collecting I've become a lot more picky about what I purchase.....

Like I used to be a huge Star Wars collector, but then the line just got way too repetitive and rediculous. There must be like 47 Luke Jedi figures out there...how many does a person need? I cut back to only buying stuff from The Cantina scene or Jabba's Pallace. that makes things REALLY manageable. I never bothered with the prequal nonsense. With Transformers, I'm pretty much a G1 character purist when it comes to toys. So the classics/generations/reveal the sheild/etc. that are G1 characters, I buy. Beyond that, it's a very select few that I purchase. Like I bought Bludgeon because...well...it's freakin' Bludgeon! Also, I'm really starting to dig some of the newer scout class figures that, while not all that great in the past, have REALLY become quite the little figures. Bought Breacher the other day and was REALLY pleasantly surprised by how nice a figure he is.

The small independent companies are the tough ones now....because there is soooooo much good schwag out there right now there I'd like to get: FP Protector armor, PE Rumble/Frenzy, the incoming Reflector bots, and those AMAZING Not-Constructicons that we keep getting teased with every so often that WILL be mine if I have to rob a bank.

*sigh*

18. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

The addiction only gets worse. Once TF3 comes out and classics are put on hold, you'll buy other lines of toys. I ended up collecting all the TFAs. I set a yearly budget for toys. I try to keep to that.

19. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I feel your pain. I really only focus on picking up different Starscreams and then usually only one of each character I like (with a few exceptions).

20. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

The problem with having a monthly budget is that transformers that are wanted rarely come out on a monthly basis.