Customs: Help! How can I disassemble Evac / Springer / Blades??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, May 4, 2009.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I was in the middle of disassembling Blades and Springer (the Cybertron Evac mold), and what looked pretty simple and straightforward has hit a snag.

I've removed the 3 visible screws from his lower legs, but I can't seem to pry them open. Anybody got a tip?

Is there a hidden screw? Is it just glued? Is there anything I'll likely break if I force it?

Thanks for any info, guys! :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's glued. I ran into the same issue when making blades for Defensor. I just ended up doing a lot of taping up. You might wanna try splitting it where it's glued...I didn't want to break mine though.

3. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    I have to agree, go with the taping unless you planning on parts swapping. If it doesnt give with medium for pulling/prying, the plastic will more than likely give first. Ive broken more parts than I want to admit from trying.

4. SMOG

Yeah, it really feels solid... like there's something else holding it besides glue (I've already tried slipping a knife in the seam to "pop" the glue). Driving me crazy because it looks so easy... I'm parts-swapping, so taping isn't going to help me out. Hmm.

zmog

5. SMOG

**UPDATE**

So I got 'em... it IS just glue, but pretty much all around the seam, and everywhere the two halves connect.

I cracked the glue seal all the way around by carefully pushing a knife in, and then popped the whole thing open by jamming a thin slot-nosed screwdriver between the halves, and then giving a light twist. I did this in back where any damage would be almost hidden... right behind the knees. Makes a small wound in the plastic, but nothing too serious.

3 out of 4 legs popped easily with no problems. The 4th one was a bit resistant but it all came open in the end. A bit scary at first, but not so hard.

Hope this helps the next guy. :) 

zmog

6. jtfire

jtfire Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks for sharing with us its always good to know.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Another way to open those stubborn glued areas is to take a hobby knife and lightly carve along the glued edge it either gives or you can pry it open without breaking.

Glad to hear you got it done without damage, man.

8. SMOG

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried. I managed to break the "seal" of the glue all around the outside of the leg, but the damn thing STILL didn't want to come apart. That's why I wanted to check with the forum here to see if there was some hidden screws or something.

Turns out there are bits glued inside too, which is why knifing the outer edge isn't enough, and I had to use the screwdriver-twist method.

Now the black and pale gray parts on my Springer and Blades are swapped. :) 

zmog

9. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    Post some pics when done so we can see how each one looks swapped. This will help others that want to do this.

10. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

could the GI Joe disassembly trick of a wedge and a rubber mallet do the trick as well?

11. SMOG

Yeah, I'm just hammering out some of the last pins now. Damn there are a lot of pins in this thing. I'll post pics when I'm done so people can decide which they prefer.

Blades looks more "correct" to my eyes without all that black. The black looks kind of cool no Springer, but I'm not sure if it's better than the gray. I THINK I'm liking them this way better, but there's no way I'm putting it all back now. :) 

Yeah, basically the same thing. The screwdriver tip was my wedge, and I didn't need a mallet... just the power of my rippling muscles. :D 

The screwdriver made it easy to twist after the tip was wedged in, forcing the halves apart.

zmog

12. djjk420

djjk420 Digi-Kuh

i got him in parts just used a heat gun

13. SMOG

What exactly IS a heat gun?

And how did it help? Does it melt the glue before the plastic deforms or something?

zmog

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    a heat gun is basically a more powerful hair dryer...it blows super hot air out, good for loosening adhesive and stuff. You can technically use a regular hair dryer on the hottest setting, and keeping it close the the area you're trying to loosen up.

15. SMOG

So it IS basically a hair dryer? Interesting.

Is it any more efficient than a quick dunk in boiling water? Does the heat penetrate quickly?

zmog