Help guys my Xbox 360 saw red today

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Red Frenzy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

I am sure this topic has been seen over and over again but I would really appreciate anyone who can offer some help. Unfortunately my fateful Xbox 360 just crashed this morning after just a year and a half from when I purchase it. I realize this is a common problem some of you may have dealt with so I ask you to read about my ordeal and provide some advice if you can.

Unlike the more common three rings-of-death I unfortunately got stuck with the more elusive single red light with an E74 System Error. Now after calling Xbox tech support I learned that the free warranty that extends to those with the red rings-of-death does not apply to those consoles that received the single red light of doom. So I have to shell out an extra $99.00 plus tax in order to get this sucker fixed. Does anyone else think this is just flat out unfair? I know that they provide an extended 1 year warranty along with the repair but I was astounded to find out about the cost and felt a little cheated by Microsoft. The fact that after the original warranty expires they offer no additional help free of charge to anyone that comes across this particular problem is insane, just because they are “Not as common” according to the tech rep. Needless to say I’m going to fork over the cash to fix this thing because I love the system but I really hoped there was a alternative to this situation and wonder if I shouldn’t just go put the $100 in repairs towards a Playstation 3. But I would still like to pose these questions to anyone who can help me understand this stupid predicament I’m in.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and how did it work out for you?

Does anyone know what happens to the Xbox because of the single red light E74 System Error?

Is there any truth to the rumor that playing dvd’s on the console could cause it to malfunction more often than just playing games on it? If so could this have possibly been an issue to my failed console?

Anyways guys, thanks for the time and help if you can provide it.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah that $99 sucks, no cheaper way around it unless you could do it.
    Ive been tempted to pop one open and just replace the disc drive with a better model, but scaird
    Did you try running a cleaning disc for atleast 10 min? They've helped me out a few.

Usually takes about 10 days for the box return when you send it off

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

try unplugging your hard drive and power bar. Then just plug the powerbar in and leave the hard drive out. If the xbox works then it's your hard drive. If it doesn't work then it might be the powerbar or both. Check out your power bar when you plug it in, if it's red thaen I think that's it.

If it's none of that then it might be your disk drive, or maybe there's an error with the game your'e trying to play. Also If your'e on xboxbox live, try unplugging it from that.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had that happen to mine. Sent it Jan 2nd and should have it back by Friday. In all from my placing the repair request to get it back was about 3 weeks.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've watched a few movies on mine and it doesn't seem to have affected it. I imagine the constant spinning of the disc could cause problems, but some games have that effect as well, so I wouldn't place total blame on that.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Same thing happened to me last week. Waiting on the label they will be e-mailing me to send it out.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Is there any evidence that the E74 is related to the RRoD? If so, then yes, I think they should also be covered in the same manner, but if it's totally unrelated, then, I'm sorry, but no, I don't think they're obligated, either morally or legally to do anything more than they are since the box is out of warranty (i assume). That's the whole point of a warranty, is a window after purchase to have problems fixed for "free". It truly sucks, but that are a lot bigger issues in this world to worry about than paying another $99 to fix a luxury gaming console. (not to sound preachy or soap-boxy, but I WISH that was my biggest problem)

8. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

Although I understand your point of view when it comes to the warranty and what Microsoft is obligated to fix on my system. I disagree that the morality or legality of the company have any bearing on a product that was initially shipped with a fundamental problem. There is nothing morally right about selling a defective product (I refer to the red rings) or is it legally valid, hence the free repairs to the system. However my situation and the few that are in the same place I am are not in the bounds of Microsoft's first attempt to cover their tracks because of the red rings. My system still failed due to something outside my control just like many others. I don't demand compensation, I would be nice but unlikely, I have accepted that it is a futile situation that will not be won in a shouting match. I just want to understand why a smaller percentage of gamers that have had this problem are not being compensated like those with the three-rings-of-death. It is still a manufacturer error not anything we did to the system so why shouldn't they fix it, that's all I'm saying.

Also not to sound confrontational but like it or not we are all consumers, whether it be Transformers figures or a video game console. We all spend money on products that don't have conventional use or absolute necessity to our daily lives. I invested a lot of my hard earned cash in something that I just want to enjoy during my down time. Just like any other electronic device I know they wont always work forever but I expect a level of quality and service from a manufacturer which can assure me that their product will have more functioning life to it after the first years warranty is up. So yes there are bigger things to worry about for a lot of people, but for me at this time I just want to get what I paid for, but as far as my first warranty is concerned I already have. So no, I will not just pass this off as unimportant. I have opinions and they don't agree with a company that is exploiting its customers because a profitable product like the Xbox was sold to them with defects built in.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I respect your opinions and anymore help you can give.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well sounds like you are where I would be right now. My suggestion is use the 100 towards a PS3 sell all your 360 games on e-bay or trade them in toward the new system. I felt like you do now a couple months back it was not a 360 but and LCD tv that cost me a hell of a lot more. It was also a few months out of warrenty so instead of dealing with the attitude of the company of which manufactured the tv I got what I could out of it and purchased a different brand.
    Best of luck to you in what ever you do.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If my system ever gets a non-RROD problem, I'm going to give it the RROD. reeeeaaaal easy to make that thing overheat and turn into a giant red flashlight. then I'll send it in, and if they only fix the RROD and not the other problem, I'll ask them why they saw fit to break another part of my system while they fixed the RROD.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got mine back today and finally got to play Left 4 Dead. Fun!