Help! Giant/Herc questions.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, Aug 24, 2012.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I am trying to decide which one to get.

I know Giant has ball joints and is more like deluxe figures. How durable is he overall?

As for Herc, he is primarily ratchet joint/clicking goodness? How durable as opposed to Giant?

Who is the tougher toy? Who resembles more G1, blocky goodness? Herc?

I prefer simple and solid over complex and panels. I want a tough toy that I don't have to worry about breaking easily. Herc seems to be the better toy. What is your opinion?

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Herc is less complex than Giant. His joints aren't the best (hasbro energon combiner ports). Giant is much more ratchety and clicky in full on combined mode.

Herc also has the blockly look going on, though Giant has a more G1 combined mode.

Both with take a decent beating though. Neither of them will crumble in your hands. Giant though has a few more intricate parts to deal with which could make him more "fragile." More things going on overall.

I think you'd be leaning closer to Herc though. Watch a few reviews and comparisons. Those folks did them for a reason!

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help.

And I have watched the videos. It's just such a tough decision!! LOL.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I own Giant, don't own Hercules.

If you want simple and solid, then Hercules is your Devastator. He's big and chunky, like something out of the unicron trilogy. Pretty much everyone who owns both says Hercules is the better toy, while Giant is the better collector's piece.

Giant's individual members have ball joints, but the combiner's only ball joints are in the neck, ankles, and thumbs. Pretty much everything else ratchets.

Giant's members are a lot more complicated to transform, and Hercules' members are pretty simple to transform.

Giant is the more G1 looking of the two in combined mode, but Hercules is the blockier one.

5. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're worried about scale (some are, some aren't) you've to bare in mind if you already own Colossus that MT's Giant is nicely on scale with it.

If on the other hand you intend on getting Uranus (even with the 6th figure drama) it is likely he'll be on scale with Herc.

[​IMG]

There's also what FP said about Menasor to consider in that the combined mode will be 11 or 12 inches tall...

So Giant might be like Colossus in that they are the shorties scale wise.

6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I'm surprised it's been as unbiased as it's been...

Anyhow, based on what it sounds like you're looking for, Herc's probably your better bet. Although one thing to consider, do you plan on getting a bunch of the upgrades for Herc? You can currently get Herc for not a whole helluva lot more than Giant, but if you start buying the add-ons and alternate faces, Shapeways kits, purple barrel, commission someone to paint that ugly ass black blade...it starts to add up.

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll put it this way: Giant is probably more likely to break due to stress and fracturing from its many joints and parts since it's pretty damn complicated. Hercules could probably survive a big drop, but his joints are a little floppy and seem prone to wear.

8. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    just get both then you dont need to worry lol

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I have no in hand experience of Giant so can't comment but Herc is so customisable it's insane. He can also be absolutely focking huge if you want him to be.

10. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I waited for Green Giant.

I liked the alt modes, robots and combined mode better.

Combined mode locks together with several spring loaded hooks, levers, buttons and pegs. It's an engineering triumph for all (gesalt) Transformers. Nice strong ratcheting shoulders, hips and knees. Elbows have a soft ratchet. And articualtion in all the right spots. A near perfect update to G1.

Bots are OK. For every amazing feature I see a tiny fault. Most have an intuitive conversion that includes many modern little twists and turns to enhance the articulation. A couple have complex conversions. But easily done. Who wants a bland 2 second transformation? Not me, I like a puzzle. To a degree... :) 

Hands down one of THE best 3rd party Transformers ever produced.

Herc. No comment... :) 

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  12. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

Hercules = Big beefy, heavy. Decent connectors. Excellent quality plastic. Very good joints, can tip over but won't unless knocked with something. Very expensive.

Giant = Large, stocky. Excellent connectors. Excellent quality plastic. Excellent joints. Won't tip unless hit with something. Reasonably priced.

If you have to choose, I'd say go Giant. Hercules is awesome but the engineering in Giant trumps what Hercules brings to the table IMO. Plus Giant is much cheaper and isn't that much smaller.

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Unless you customise Herc then the difference is bigger....literally.

14. halfaway

halfaway hey man nice 6 shot

thinking of selling my herc w/ rage set

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    herc is one of the best figures i have handled,

16. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want simpler transformations go for Hercules. Some of the transformations for the Giant bots are a bit involved. Especially Scrapper's.

Giant looks more like the G1 Constructicons toys in alt and combined mode.

17. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I actually got to see some pics of the FP Menasor next to Giant at TFcon. They're about the same height.

18. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Owning both, and based on your OP I would say Hercules is more your style when it comes to being blocky and simplistic. However Giant is more G1 design wise. All in all my hunch is Hercules + The Rage kit is exactly what you're looking for.

There's a side by side comparison in my video review of Giant. You can check my sig if you're interested.

^^THIS^^ Giant and FP Menasor are pretty much in scale with each other from the pics shown on a certain iPhone at TFCON!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Anyone who's being truly honest with themselves will tell you that you can't lose either way. Anyone who feels too strongly about either Devastator is just too butthurt about all the money they spent to consider that another option might also be good.

Pick whichever one appeals to you more aesthetically and bring him home and love him. They're both great great toys. If you like them "the same," go with Giant, he's cheaper... though if you genuinely prefer Herc you can definitely get an amazing deal on him if you're vigilant. I've seen him go for as little as $400 (not that you can expect to get that deal every day, just saying there's plenty of people who remembered they needed to pay bills after they bought Herc).

20. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to high-jack the thread but the "buthurt" comment is probably better left unsaid when you consider how polarizing these figures have become in the fandom. I get what you're saying, but we've had enough nerd rage over these figures.

It's bad enough it's an election year. Lets not let the hobby we are supposed to enjoy turn into a place of constant fighting and name calling, leave that shit to congress! :)