Customs: Help Getting to G1 Galvatron Electronics...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Prometheum5, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi all,
    I recently got a real cheap loose Galvatron that I decided to make my next fix-up project... naturally, the electronics do not work, but I've read that sometimes the only issue is that the solder has corroded, which can be fixed. I was going to examine the circuit board and see if it was fixable, but for the life me my I could not find a way to open the inner body tube with the electronics in it. I was wondering if anyone else has popped open their Galvatrons, and could perhaps provide me with a few pictures of how to get to the electronics?
    Thanks a bunch!

2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Oooh, that's a toughie there. I've taken broken G1 Mirages and Prowls fully apart to rebuild with junkers and make em new again; but I never tore into the elctronic innards of Galvatron.

If it's anything as fun as rebuilding the motor & gears in a G1 Omega Supreme then I wish you the best of luck.

~Z

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Hmmmm that gives me an idea. Find a Junker Galvatron and do a board swap with the Reissue.

4. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    I want the English lines tho or the original, which is why I'm hoping the soundboard is intact and just needs to be resoldered...

Oh and, rebuilding all of Omega Supreme's innards sounds really, really scary... I don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough for that, but I bet it was satisfying to be able to say you made it work again.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    That's what I mean, I want the reissue with a repaired English Board in it

6. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've taken apart G1 galvatron and repaired the circuit board. I actually had to get a new 9V connector from Radioshack.

I don't have pictures, but you really have to take EVERYTHING apart, including the crown from the head. (the wires for the eye lights often fray on this model). I wanted to strip mine down and reprolabel it anyway, so I wasn't too miffed about it.

What is this english board? I have an japanese anime accurate Repro which yellls in Japanese (Tu-ran-su-fo-mu!) but I thought G1 only made 3 laser sounds. Was there a english repro as well w/ voice?

7. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    I am going to reprolabel and restore mine as well... I couldn't figure out how to get the crown off either...

As for soundboards, I don't know what the US Galvatron says... it might just be laser noises...

You don't have any pics of how to get it apart tho?

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Is there even an english board? My original Galvatron has 3 different laser sounds and runs off a 9V battery. The reissue has Japanese phrases and runs off 2 AA batteries. As far as I know, the innards are totally different.

9. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Completely disassemble it, you have to remove the silver collar and red belt before you can remove the outer torso. Once you get to the inner torso, you have to remove the crown. Use a small flat object (small screwdriver works well) to pry the crown off. Some put the crown back on with a 90 degree turn.

This link had a repaint with the crown turned. it also has some info on the disassembly, esp the tiny ratcheting parts in the arms and torso.

http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/galvatron_repaint.html

10. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link... I was considering repainting the toy to match, but I kinda like the original toy scheme, even if it doesn't match. I remember I couldn't get the belt or crown off, but it sounds like that's all I needed to do to finish opening the torso... guess I just needed to use some finer tools to pull them off straighter.

11. luke4

luke4 crocon

how do u fix the corroded solder??

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    break it off and re-solder it.

13. luke4

luke4 crocon

so break/cut the corroded soldered pieces off and then re-solder it with what exactly.... and how do i know it the soldered pieces are corroded or not?

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you can chip off the old solder, and using a soldering iron, re-solder the wires back in place with fresh solder. there's pictures you can find easily with google search that show the miscolorings compared to "healthy" solder.