Help from Obscure Building Toy Experts

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Satomiblood, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

By construction/building toys, I'm speaking of something in the vein of Lego, Mega Bloks, Tyco Superblocks, etc. (not early K'NEX, Lincoln Logs, or Construx).

Anyway, during the late 80s, my aunt bought me this building set that was similar to (but not compatible with) Lego. It had a lot of plates, bricks, etc. I believe several sets were produced, but they didn't come with minifig equivalents. And they had a sort of space, robot, and technical theme to them. I believe the set I owned formed a robot, but it was really advanced for my age and I didn't get very far. It featured some chromed pieces (similar in quality to G1 TF chrome). I can't remember the name at all. I'll probably register to a building set forum, but I figured I'd try my luck here since TFW also features quite a few building toy enthusiasts.

Thanks!

2. Satomiblood

Anyone?

3. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

4. Satomiblood

You're right! I checked Wikipedia after your post and there was an image of one of the bricks. The studs on the bricks and plates had holes in them and they weren't compatible with Lego. And it looks like I was wrong about the minifigs. Many sets did have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tente_(Toys)

Hasbro marketed them in the states as well as Japan.

5. Satomiblood

This is the set my aunt got me (note the chrome pieces). And it actually did come with minifigures. I'm amazed that a fully transformable building set was available at this time. And yet, Hasbro couldn't manage this with BTR and Kre-O, not even a transformation as simple as the one below.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the others listed under the ROBLOCK series:
    [​IMG]

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i had one of these sets, thought it was tyco though. had the bubble like the 0781 but was navy blue and white (still have a lot of the pieces, wouldn't mind figuring out exactly what set it was

7. Satomiblood

I noticed that Kre-O borrowed some brick designs from here as well. They're notable on the 0792 with the gray gun turrets on the feet as the black piece the red antenna is connected to. Haven't seen them in Lego or Mega Bloks before.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I had one of these as well (sort of like a blue Persus), and always thought the pieces were much cooler than lego. I mean if nothing else, the wheels & a lot of other exterior parts like thrusters/vents & things could work great on TF customs

9. Satomiblood

This is why I've been wanting to pick them up again, but the sets are just so damn rare and expensive.