Help from fellow cat owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JazzIsBack, Feb 10, 2012.

1. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Ok so in my house we have 5 cats, the mother and her 4 children who are now 3, we have 4 females and one male and they all seem to get along.

Now recently my sister has moved back home temporarily and brought her 4 kittens ,two females and 2 males, along also. Now all the cats get along fine theyll play and sometimes even lay together but we just found out that hers just started going into heat, and its causing our male who is fixed to start spraying.

Now we plan to get these ones fixed very soon to but is there any advise for helping our male from acting up in the meantime?

2. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Besides having him neutered BEFORE he started spraying, not really. From what I understand once they start, that's it.

3. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

he was fixed before that, its the ones my sister brought in that arent fixed

4. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not an expert on cats, but I'd have to assume nine of any animal in one house is going to be a problem, no matter what you do.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Any reason you didn't have them all fixed at the earliest appropriate opportunity?

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    They don't just spray because of not being fixed, they also spray because of stress and territory marking, regardless of gender and regardless of whether they're fixed or not. Females just tend to do it less than males. And introducing 4 to a group of 5...that's pretty DAMNED stressful for every single cat in there because they've got to establish a whole new pecking order.

And you've got your one male who is suddenly outnumbered by TWO UNFIXED males (you did mean all hers are not fixed, right?) in HIS territory AND a female who's got to be courting every single one of them because your sister didn't bother to get her cats fixed before this. Your male cat is just trying to deal with the crap he's been dealt in the only way he knows how - to establish who's territory it is by scent marking. I would bet, too, that if you watch their behavior carefully, its not all 'they lie together' happy, either. Notice which cats are intimidated and doing the intimidating (such as glaring until another cat moves from a spot they want), etc. What the heck were your parents thinking letting her bring several unfixed cats into your house?

--Moony