Help for trying to fundraise for School Prom for next june

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gretnablue, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

Hello I'm and a group of twenty others (me being the only man in the group) set up a committee to try to set up a prom for the 4th, 5th and 6th years (10th 11th and 12th grades for people who do not know the Scottish education system) as we are in the south of Scotland whom usually have to do it our selves as the schools don't do them for us. We have only ever had one other prom and that was about 3 years ago and that was a disaster so we are trying to do another for next year for the school leavers but we are having problems trying to fund it.

Any suggestions in making about 8 to 10 thousand pounds for about late winter early spring next year?

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    All I know is that you being the only guy in the group will serve you well.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    10 grand? Hope you guys know how to sell drugs...

But seriously.
    Bakesales, raffles, etc. aren't going to raise that kind of money that quickly, in my experience, but it would be a good idea to maybe look at selling advertising space at the prom or getting sponsorship from local businesses, especially businesses who can donate product that you can actually use at the prom.

Also, why does it matter that you're the only dude on the committee, other than it increases your chances of getting some?

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    What other reason would there need to be?

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We had to raise a shitload of money for our school's rugby tour to Australia so I remember doing a hell of a lot of stuff. I went to a private school so bear that in mind as I was fortunate enough to be part of quite a wealthy school.

The first key is to get as many people to participate as possible. In our case, we had a group of 60 boys and their families to draw on for volunteering. If you've got three whole years worth of people benefiting from your efforts then you need to get as many of them involved as possible.

We did plenty of fundraising events. We washed cars on a saturday morning, had several fundraising dinners, organised a few raffles to name a few. We were fortunate enough to be raising money during the rugby World Cup, so we hosted a breakfast at school where we came to watch the final live. Our school was also fairly close to a place with lots of outdoor concerts so we opened up the playing fields as a car park and ran the car park in 2 shifts - first lot got the cars in, second oversaw them leaving.

Asking local business for donations in exchange for advertisement is always a good idea. They'll view it as marketing and you get cheaper stuff. Talk to the local press and radio as well and let them know about your events -they have to fill up their pages and airtime so they're always looking for a story.

Good luck matey, you're going to need it!

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sell poontang pie.

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Fund-raise early and often. Like now, right now, quit reading and go get something set up, come back once that's done.

Get sponsorships. Talk to the local florists to get flowers and decorations donated and maybe some cash to throw an advert in the program. Talk to a local stationary place about having programs made for cheap. Play up the fact that your school hasn't had a prom in years and you're trying to make it a special one.

Book a band. Not your classmates jam band, but try and find someone that at least tours around a few cities, even if they're crappy live music can go a long way. As the flip side to that, find someone to DJ. Again, ask for special pity rates. If you can't find someone to DJ, find someone that has a hella large MP3 collection and throw that on a laptop/external hard drive and get a playlist set up.