Help for the New Guy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sinstroke, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sinstroke

Sinstroke Snipercon 4 hire

Ebay:
    So i just retired from the army at the age of 27 due to injuries from my Deployment to Iraq, i am looking to customize my transformers and such forth. i would like to know what kinda of paint to use, and if a driller kit could be suggested for me, and where could i buy theses products. Also any information about getting started on doing customs, like Helpful hits would also be appreciated.

Eighter Reply in post or Email me at [email protected]. TYVM

Attached Files:

2. raptordriver

raptordriver Well-Known Member

Go under the Radicons main heading and there is a How to Guide. Here's the link:

Tutorials and How Tos - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

There is a tremendous amount of information there that can get you started. Welcome to Radicons and thank you for your sevice!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

something i've learnt pretty quick is those tutorials are fabulous, and a steady hand for painting!

Thin light coats. that is the best advice I can offer from another newbie!

good luck!

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    ^ This! I'd also like to say thanks for your service!

5. ferrari35

ferrari35 Well-Known Member

Im not a kit basher in any sence of the word but have modded the odd transformer here and there best advice I could give for paints is game workshop paints and get yourself a few junk transformers to practice on gundam markers are good for little details(eyes and lights things like that) water your paint down and under coat everything and start one project at a time:)  guides on here are great but dont forget google is great too(can never have to much info).

6. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I'm kinda curious about the rifle in the pic. Did you build that? If so that looks completely awesome. Welcome to Radicons and TFW2005.

7. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

I'm still rather noob here, but...
    tutorials here are ace, and you'll get better the more you do em. XD
    don't be discouraged if things go wrong though?... paints may not take as well as you want them to, or they may not go on how you want em to... or mods might bugger up and stuff... but you'll get there in the end if you persevere.
    ... so start on the cheaper ones to minimize the heartache.
    Look forward to seeing you around! XD

8. jame5y

I do wish some of the more seasoned radicons would give us newbies a bit more feedback though, at tfmaster there used to be loads of that, but that's not to say some guys here aren't a good help, some are lovely guys! :) 

9. darkhart187

darkhart187 autobot protector

i bought quite a few of my items i use at our walmart such as dremel tool and exacto knive.
    at first i used sculpey for add on parts butch switched to aves apoxie sculpt which you can order online,as for paint i bought mine from a hobby shop i use model masters by testor paints they seem to work pretty well. thank you for supporting our country and welcome to the world of customizeing.

10. Sinstroke

Ebay:
    it is accually a rifle that i saw done on the internet and redid as best i could for a friend of mine, it a nerf long shot with PVC piping and parts from the Recon blaster, Modding Nerf Guns is how i got into mod work, i have always loved Transformers since i was a kid so i turned my hobbie of redoing nerf guns towards them, right now my first project is a Nemesis Prime (One of my Fav. Transformers of all time) Starting with a Legend Class Nightwatch Otimus Prime 2007 make and a Trailer from a Shop Right Semi Collectors Truck that matched it size wise i will be posting before and during and after pictures soon.

11. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well let me first say sorry to hear of your injuries and deployment from the army.

Next I will say have a read of the tutorials then buy a cheap small figure to practice some of the skills on. Even if you mess up you can put it down to learning just for a couple of $$.

The paint I use would be very different to what's available overseas but I guess someone else may cover that, however a dremel kit is an amazing tool. They are available in many place online or I'm assuming as you are in Florida is it home depot or Walmart? They are priceless for cutting and drilling!

Also have some patience. Any news skills are acquired and not gotten over night! But keep us posted here of your projects :D 

All the best!

12. jame5y

@nellie131

I'm curious what paints you use fella - im in the UK too and I used plasti-kote last time, and i'm not going to be doing that again ahaha

cheers

13. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Pretty much this.

As for paints I love Tamiya.It goes on smooth with very minimal coats and drys super fast.

Welcome to the boards and I look forward to seeing your work.If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.And that goes for any of you guys on here as well !!!!!!!!

14. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I for one have had some decent results with Plastikote but it's horrible when it goes wrong.

I used citadel colours if I hand brush anything and tamiya/testors if I'm airbrushing as I have a compressor set up too. Also if i can get hold of it for certain parts some krylon fusion camouflage.

Hope this helps and pm me if you need any more help!

15. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Very nice. And also, looking forward to seeing your Nightwatch Optimus.

16. Sinstroke

Ebay:
    Nightwatch Prime to Nemesis Prime Working Stages

here a few pics of the Trailer i am working on, as you can see i haven't started on the Bot himself yet, but he is next, need the funs to buy the Air Brush kit i want before i start with him. :(  but hopefully that will be very soon

Attached Files: