Customs: help for a noob

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jaspimus Prime, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

Hi all have been looking through everyones mods for the past week and finally decided to join up.
    ive recently bought a Leader class rotf optimus and would like to change his "silver" to real silver...nothing too fancy cos i really suck at this type of thing but would love to improve what i believe is a fantastic model.

my question is this (i know it gets asked alot but i cant find a definitive answer links or replies welcome)

1. Dont want to spend too much ££$$ doing this so just want to use a brush if possible so what type of paint would we recommend?
    2. other then cleaning with soapy water (which i read on one post) is there any other prep work that needs to be done, eg sanding or anything like that? (i hope not cos i dont wanna ruin such a nice figure)
    3. any other tips for a noob would be greatly appreciated just general tricks people have found out?

something like this below

(by Tcrakcer)

ps im from the uk so cant go to wallmart or other us stores for supplies

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Welcome to the Radicons! These questions are all adressed in the various tutorials we have on the site.

I would also personally recommend Jin's guide for painting TFs. It should teach you almost everything that a beginner has to know.

3. Jaspimus Prime

cheers mampy that site seems helpful and explains techniques like drybrushing which ive never done before, cant wait to get some gear and get started

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Yeah that's where I learned to paint, too. :)  Good luck! Just be sure to post pics of your work when you're done.

5. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    My pic was quoted? Surely there are other kick ass repaint of ROTF Prime out there, like eg. Mampy's. :D  :D 

Anyway, welcome to the boards and like what the others said, can't wait to see your rendition!

6. Jaspimus Prime

there are hundreds of great pics and mods on here, i really like loads of them, and in all honesty yours was the first one i went on and found lol (sorry to burst ya bubble) still a fantastic mod

def will post my attempts when i get round to doing them....but will prob take me an age to get started

7. darkseer

darkseer Member

actually u can find alot idea in this forum & there is thread here that will solve urs problem just don't be lazy go and search for it ^^

8. X5452

X5452 Cylons get no respect!!

I'm in agreement with mampy on Jin's guide it's very helpful but I do have to say that information on the forums is great!!! And as far as paints go I would recommend acrylics that way water is your friend!! And I lightly sand with a high grit sand paper before I base coat. But that is just one person's thought. Hope it helps! Hope to see your repaint when it's done!

9. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Word of advice. Do not start trying anything on Prime. Go to the store and pick up one or two cheap Scout Class guys for Guinea pigs. This way you can try out the techniques you read on a Transformer you won't be really upset about if you ruin him.

10. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally agree with this! I made the mistake when I first started out by trying to paint a leader Prime (from the first movie), it went very wrong!! I recommend starting small either with the scouts or deluxes!! That way when you have more confidence in your painting you can move up to the leaders!! Also have to agree with the other's that Jin's tutorials are golden!! They helped me a lot!!

Good luck with your customs, can't wait to see how they turn out!!

11. Jaspimus Prime

hmmm i think your right about that, will have to find some cheap scouts i think lol. im not brave enough to do the blue and red...just the silver and maybe add some bronzey gold bits, i just want it to look more realistic like everyone elses lol

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When you actually start work on this project, please start a new thread in the projects area. Until then, we'll help you discuss things that will help you out with kitbashing in general as well as helping you get started on the project itself.

As others have said, make sure you check out our extensive Tutorials section! :thumb