Customs: help deciding an SG decepticon

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SG hailstorm, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

I just got a generations skullgrin on sale for 9.88 at Walmart ans I like the figure OK....but I didn't buy him to keep him that way, I thought about maybe a shattered glass skullgrin but I'm having trouble determining the color-scheme (if I did that i,'d need to figure out who skullgrins nemisis is from the cartoon) and if I don't go with skullgrin who could I make into an SG con that'd fit the mold?? I was thinking bludgeon but idk what t head to use...help??

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Skullgrin was never in the cartoon, but he was in the comic. If I'm not mistaken, he was appeared in movies as a "monster" or something.

3. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

Well he was but in the japanese cartoon as dauros, i just need to figire out a color-scheme ans new head, but idk what jead i can replace it with...i was thinking maybe a kre-o jazz or bumblebee head re-painted to match the color-scheme

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The problem with replacing the head is that you're taking away an important detail (if not the only one aside from the paint job) that helps make that specific figure Skullgrin. Plus, I'm not so sure a Kre-O head would even WORK due to the transformation scheme and clearances involved.

An INCREDIBLY important detail about making customs is to ALWAYS have a plan for the final product. That way, you know where you want to go and how about getting to there, making changes in the plan if something doesn't go right. Here, you've just gone and bought a figure...without any pre-planning.

Furthermore, the SG universe kind of scrapped the whole "the good versions of the bad guys have their nemesis' color scheme" thing almost from the start, as initial characters like Jazz essentially looked the exact same with some minor changes with the colors of their eyes and faction symbols. For example; Soundwave, whose nemesis is arguably Blaster, is NOT colored like Blaster, instead just going for the white version of the Music Label figure. And many of the SG mini-bots, like Seaspray and Beachcomber, are simply repurposed Movie 1 repaints (Allspark Power Storm Surge and regular release Hardtop, resepectively). Heck, SG Octopunch is litterally just the original pretender's shell colors on HFTD Seaspray. You could easily get away with just sticking a red Decepticon symbol on Skullgrin to make him SG.

Finally, a quick check of your previous threads shows you've got a LOT of projects already going, ranging from a more accurate DOTM Megatron to your Overlord WIP. It would serve you best to get those projects out of the way, or at least work on them some more, before starting yet another project. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a lot of half-finished projects and nothing of real worth to show for all your hard work.

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could do his G1 inner bot colors, and replace the head with a more "bot" looking head. Otherwise, I'd pick an Autobot Pretender with bright colors and go with that. Like Metalhawk, or Cloudburst.