Help! Collection Overflow

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by alphie, Aug 10, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Anybody else have this problem? I have literally ran out of space for my oddity collection. Now, I can move it to my office, but when the nephews come over there is a HUGE risk of them getting into it. One of the reasons why I put my collection in the spare bedroom is to be able to close the door whenever they come over. Out of sight, out of mind. :lol 

But as you can see in the picture, I'm all out of room. The piles are beginning to be as high as the bed. :eek:  Now, I'm slowly opening items as I take gallery shots for them and slowly making some room. But there is still the question about the massive pile of stuff. Where am I going to put it all? :lol 

Anybody else encountering this problem? I know many have talked about storage, but right now I can't afford it. Would put items in the basement, but there is a HUGE risk of water damage. Again not enough money to buy plastic containers to use for storage.

[​IMG]

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I know get new shelves.

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    you need wire shelving!
    [​IMG]
    you can find these at Target for $29 on sale. I took 2 kits and made a super tower from it.

[​IMG]

Its narrow enough to not be overwhelming in a room. you can adjust the front feet to be a bit higher, giving the shelving a natural lean back ... so no fears of falling forward ... but there's still no risk of that happening.

how about over the door shelving ala 40-Year-Old Virgin?
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60103750
    You can see my TFC's on that.

If you have loose things you really don't care for displaying anymore ...
    [​IMG]

towards the left side of the picture, I have these terrific storage bins. They're made from:
    (1) Target 3-tier closet organizers ($9.99)
    (3) Wal-Mart Sterlite 20qt containers. (3.50ea)

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    sorry for the double post ... but found more pictures of what the fudge I'm talking about.

The Target 3-tier closet organizers can better be seen here on the left. The Sterlite 20qt containers were made for this. It's such a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

From the wire shelf kit posted previously, I had enough leftover parts to make another minishelf for my jeans.

If you have anything loose that you wanted to store (again), try these.
    [​IMG]
    These are meant for shoes, but work so well for everything. $10 each at Wal-Mart. If you don't like the blue trim, Target has some that are all white. $15 on those.

Don't mind me, I'm borderline OCD. This is really my cup of tea. :D 

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    triple post ... i'm sorry, but ...

[​IMG]

crates on a closet shelf works wonders. I have G1 figures (in ziploc disposable sandwich containers, pack of 4 = $2) in the white crates. I went to the clearance pit at Ikea to find a long piece of laminated wood ($1) to make a shelf on top of the crates. That's where I keep the big ass stuff.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks e3nine! Unfortunately, my house is TINY. I mean the rooms at the Biltmore Hotel (people who have gone to Botcon know what I'm talking about) is the size of my living room, dining room, spare bedroom and bathroom COMBINED! lol So, I've learned to creatively organize, but with a lot of the oddity stuff, I'm just unsure. I would LOVE to keep it in the room it's in, but I literally don't have the room to put more shelves in. Another problem I have is an old drafting table (garbage FTW :lol ) I use for my photo shoots. If I take that out, then I have room for one more shelf. But then I run into the problem of where to put it. :lol  Stupid small houses.

7. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Yep, well aware of the problem of over collecting..But if you can't fit the shelves in that would be needed to help fix your situation..You can do what I did, and move...:/ Course, now this place is full too!

But would you really have it any other way?

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah i have this problem right now also. I'm going with the plastic storage bins route for things I don't want to display anymore.

9. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Wait until you build shelves on every wall and you still have no room. There are cheap plastic shelves you can buy for $25 and fill a room for under $300. I would do that if money is an issue. Home depot has em.

10. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome. Thanks guys for the suggestions. :D  Definitely will have to look into getting something soon so I can properly display my pieces. I know eventually I'll have to resort to plastic containers, but I really don't want to go that route right now. :lol 

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you don't mind bolting stuff into the wall, you can do adjustable shelving like this:

[​IMG]

I also did that in my basement... but you've seen that picture already.

12. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Sell your soul for the ability to use the dark arts, sacrifice a hampster while standing in circle of power.. this will create a small pocket universe where you can freely display your ENTIRE collection.. AND for the cost of a single goat you can have a Fiend from the Pit guard them for you. :p 

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    whats the fun in collcting if you cant display what u have..