Help/advice on non-received item, please?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Optimus Sledge, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Apologies if this isn't the right place (I know I didn't buy a Transformer in the auction), but it seemed closest to the right place.

Anyhoo, won this on March 22nd at 00:27. Paid about fifteen minutes later, received shipping confirmation on the 23rd. All good. However, the tracking number supplied didn't work on the Hong Kong Post website. I emailed the seller to tell him this. Response received following day (24th): "Dear optimus_sledge,

I am sorry would you please check it later, the post office may need some time to process your order before they update the record in their web site.

Best Regards,
    Erwinma"

Ok, left it a bit. Still nothing by the 27th, so I emailed again asking if the tracking number I'd been supplied with didn't work, was it the right one? Response received on the 29th: "Dear optimus_sledge,

I am sorry can you give me some time to check for it... it looks strange.

Best Regards,
    Erwinma"

Ok, fair does. We wait... until April 1st, when I ask if there's been any word on this yet. Response received same day a couple of hours later: "Dear optimus_sledge,

Not yet, can you give me some more time to check... it looks strange. Really sorry to keep you waiting and sorry for this.

Best Regards,
    Erwinma"

Not really that helpful, so I sent back "Can you give me an idea how long this'll take? I don't want to seem like an arse, but it's been over a week now." No response as yet, and of course no item received in the post.

Despite having been ebaying for about seven years, this is the first time I've really had a problem. So what should I do? How long is it reasonable to wait for a response from a seller, and at what point should I give up and start trying to get ebay/paypal to get my money back? For that matter, how long do I have before it's too late? Any advice gratefully received.

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    how was the package sent? air mail? EMS? Global Priority?

if it's air mail it could take up to a month. EMS should be about a 4-10 days and Global Priority (I think thats what its called) should be 1-2 days

3. Optimus Sledge

To quote from the auction: "I charge S&H for $10.00. S&H consists of standard postage, normal packaging & handling fee. Buyer purchase multiple items will save USD 3 (or equivalent) for each additional purchase (conditions apply). Will shipped with registered airmail which normally takes 7-14 business days but sometimes can take more time to arrive."

4. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

I know when I order from certain websites, that the tracking number takes awhile to actually register in UPS/Fed Ex/etc. database - I'll get a number, but all it will tell me is that the package is still processing. Sometimes that means they just got in and are sending along the right pathways and other times it means it's just about to go on a truck. But unless Hong Kong is vastly slow, it should not take this long to find out shipping confirmation and tracking data.

The seller has a reasonable feedback - 99.5, and he seems to acquire about one negative hit a month; which is decent considering just HOW MUCH buisness this seller does. However, I would say if he doesn't have any (accurate) info for you soon, that you should pull out of the auction - if you're really concerned about getting the $14.00 back. Don't let it go too long though, because if he has delivery confirmation on it and it goes to the wrong place, you'll end up losing the item and eating the $14.00 - I've had that happen to me before.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Since the item ended at a grand total of 3.00 and change, i'm guessing it fell through the cracks somehow, and wasn't shipped when you were told it was shipped. I'd suggest sitting tight until just before the latest point at which you can make a claim, and keep sending the seller messages until he explains what's going on.

6. Atlas

Atlas Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    I have been with ebay for a long time as well and also have never had this happen. It sounds kind of strange. I would probably ask him again and then if I still didn't get an answer I would move on to the next step.

7. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Dude, you need to be more patient than that. First of all, sometimes a tracking number wont tell you anything... until the day you receive the package. Happened to me quite a few times. Plus, it's been only 11 days since you won the auction, that's fairly recent. Patience is your friend.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Based on what you paid for shipping, it doesn't seem it was enough for a trackable method. If it ends up being trackable, the number will likely work once it enters the US, if not sooner; try the number on usps.com if you haven't already.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about this until week 3 has passed. The seller has good feedback and international shipping doesn't always move as fast as advertised.

9. Optimus Sledge

I don't want to seem rude, but I'm not sure how well some people are reading what's going on here. The shipping is via a trackable method. Ok? That's simply not up for dispute here. The problem is that the seller has forwarded a tracking number that doesn't work, and is still asking me to wait whilst they look into it nearly two weeks later.

Having given the matter some thought today, I'm gonna wait until the post is delivered on Monday. If the item hasn't arrived by then, or I've had a reasonable update from the seller (basically, a working tracking number), I'm going to be asking the seller to either get an item on it's way to me OR to refund my money by the end of the week. Reasonable?

10. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I told you already: it's possible a tracking number won't work until the day the parcel is delivered to you. You have 45 DAYS to open a dispute. Be patient.

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
  12. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

That was my point, as well - sometimes the tracking number given isn't always the best piece of data. I've ordered stuff before and by the time I get a working tracking number, the item is due to arrive the next day.

It seems like the Hong Kong Post might be having trouble with getting the number to work (or something of the like), but if you are unsatisfied with the current situation, your present course of action seems reasonable.

And as mentioned before, you do have some time available to you to open a dispute.

13. Optimus Sledge

I have ordered many items before using this shipping method. It does not take this long for the tracking number to work. Thank you for trying to help, I understand what you're saying, but you are wrong.
    No joy there, either. :( 
    This is the first time I've had this issue with a tracking number. The seller doesn't seem to know what's going on either. All tracking numbers I've received in the past for this shipment method have worked as soon as I've received them, and by now the item would normally have arrived anyway. And at this point, I'm getting a little annoyed with the seller for not responding to my email. Patience? With someone running a business who doesn't respond when someone pays him money but they (or the post office) cock things up? Nah, I don't think so.

14. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    fuck'em...i would file a claim and immediately escalate it to a dispute....that makes the seller cough up trackable shipping or you get your money back...

15. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    just thank your lucky stars it wasnt more than 13 bucks.

16. Optimus Sledge

Nothing in the post this morning (well, a pocket torch I ordered from someone else, but that's not relevant), and no email. Sent this:
    "Hello. What's happening with this? Is the item missing or on it's way? If on it's way, please forward the tracking number. If it's missing, please let me know what you're planning to do about this. As I've said, I don't wish to be an arse about this, so I would appreciate a prompt reply within the next two days. I really don't want to have to escalate this to a dispute through ebay/paypal, and hope we can sort this out satisactorily."

I think that's a fair mix of nice and "please get off your arse and sort this out."

Update ~ Seller responds a couple of hours later. Original tracking number now working, informing me that "the item was posted on 6-Apr-2009 and is being processed for delivery to the addressee." So HOPEFULLY I'll be seeing the damn thing within the next week.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  17. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:

cool