Minor/Repaint: Help a Bumble out! My first custom and I've hit a wall. Project BumlbeVee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by BumbleVeeNH, Apr 28, 2008.

1. BumbleVeeNH

BumbleVeeNH SER-Bot

Ebay:
    Okay,

so I'm a 3 yr lurker of the kitbashes/Radicon's. I've been dying to do one up myself for a long time. So Friday night I was bored to stiches watching G1 transformers and finally said enough's enough.

So I took a Alt's ricochet and did a little bit of bodyfilling and sanding ( like 2 hours of it just on the front end) to convert the Suburu wrx into a 2004 nissan sentra. And I'm like half on the fence. I need some input on the best ways I can go about this. Please be gentle, this is my first Custom, and I know I need to go back to square one and work on it.

Here's pics of my car ( the BumbleV) a nissan sentra SER spec V
    Any hints you can give me in converting the rear end would be super appreciated. Thankfully the sentra and WRX are similar in shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's the horribly painted version of my first custom. Also if anyone can direct me to someone who can make Alt scale bumblebee head's please PM me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's not bad for your first custom.

I might suggest since your painting a light color on a black car that you consider priming the car first with a neutral color like gray.

Also consider spray painting or airbrushing as opposed to hand painting such large areas. You'll get more even coverage. Haind painting the little details is fine, but it can be tricky to get an even, smooth look on the larger car parts.

Many would recommend you take as much of this Alt apart before you paint. I'm on the fence on this. Maybe partial disassembly would be enough. Just make sure you mask off the windows, tires and any other parts you don't want to get paint on properly. And be sure to clean the toy before you paint to ensure a smooth finish.

All these things may take a little longer if done right, but I think you will find you're very happy with the results.

The #1 thing to keep in mind is to have fun. I look forward to seeing what you do with this guy. Good luck.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good. I agree with everything Timshinn73 has said above.

As far as brush painting, there are a few guys here that do it, and the trick is (from what I have been told) to use patience, MULTIPLE thin coats....I mean multiple!!....and wet sanding with a fine grit sandpaper in between coats after they have cured/dried.

I used sprays when I did it....Krylon Fusion was my best friend...:lol ...I lack the patience for hand painting.

Keep up the good work, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!.....

And remember, like Tim said, HAVE FUN!!.....Do what makes you happy!....if you like it, thats all that matters, if we like it, thats just a bonus.

Welcome to the Radicons. :D  :thumb 

4. BumbleVeeNH

BumbleVeeNH SER-Bot

Ebay:
    Thanks Plowking and TimShinn! Yeah I've been wanting to do this for a long ass time. I have taken alot of the major peices apart thus far. most of those shots were drying and just getting an idea for that. If this becomes as good looking as I think it can be, there are about 100 sentra owners wanting one...now that's a unique mod for a hybrid Transfan/Gearhead like myself :) 

-oh and I saw a custom Alt scale Bumlbehead somewhere around, any idea who did that?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    valkysas made one for the Vector contest, but its not something he will sell, for that same reason. I believe Sculptbot makes one though.

6. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    With a lil bit of modding the Classics Bumblebee head mold would make a good head, It's roughly the same size as a alt head. I plan on using one later on to make my Alt Bumblebee...

7. BumbleVeeNH

BumbleVeeNH SER-Bot

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. Looks like I might be doing my own head mold then. I'll base it off the classics head ( cause I have it thankfully) I stripped the paint off and did some more light body fill and a crapload of sanding with the dremel. Then I remembered the midnight opening for GTA 4.....guh. I'll post up more pics as I go. I think this is going to turn out pretty good now that I picked up a dremel toolkit.

8. BumbleVeeNH

BumbleVeeNH SER-Bot

Ebay:
    Woot! Sculpt Bot is sending me an Alt sized BB head.

Update, Last night I stripped all the paint off and used some lightweight bodyfill to fix low points. Dremeled it up and primed it. Thanks for the tips guys. He's coming along nicely.