Help, 1st time going to a Comic Con.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by holocause, Oct 4, 2010.

1. holocause

holocause Active Member

Hi, this weekend (oct.08.10) is the New York Comic Con and Anime Festival. A friend of mine was good enough to get me a ticket to this thing and I'm kinda excited as I've never been to one of these things. I've been to other expo's and trade conventions before related to work and boring stuff but I've never been to a Comic Con which is something that may actually be fun.

But again I've never been to one of these things so I don't know what to expect. Seeing as some of you here have actually been to some of these or even previous New York Con ones hopefully you can provide some insight.

So my primary objective going into this thing is to grab as much stuff as I can from this thing. Any strategies on getting cool shwag? The ticket I got was for opening day on friday. It says that it won't open to the public until 1pm. So should I show up at the specified time, a little bit later or earlier? How's the shopping in one of these things? In general are things sold in these events cheaper or more expensive than retail and by how much on average? What would be a realistic budget to allocate coming into one of these things? $100 $200 $500? Is haggling accepted or should one just go for whatever sticker price they put on items they sell there (I have no idea if its gonna be a flea market environment there or not)? Stuff I'm interested in are Transformers, Gundams, McFarlane and Yammie Valks so would you think they would be in abundance there? And what's the deal with "exclusives"? I've looked at the website and there's like an NYCC 'exclusive' Gundam model, are these priced higher than what a regular variant be in this event? Are they worth their 'exclusivity'?

Would appreciate the insight. :D 

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I'd say that have a good idea of what you're looking for and what their prices are in the ballpark range. If you happen to run into something you wanted and the price is pretty good, you'll probably want to pick that up, you can do comparison shopping, but often times when you come back to the first booth that you find the item, it's already sold. NYCC is pretty big, so wear comfortable shoes. I'll be signing at the Archie booth, stop by and say hi :) 

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I've gone to NYCC for the past 2 years (Can't this year), but here's some stuff to know:

Exclusives there are well-priced. It's the same as selling exclusives at SDCC. They price is usually fine, it's how long it would last that you should worry about.

If there's an exclusive you really want, make sure you find out what booth or booths they're sold at and make it your first stop. You're going there Friday, which is the best day to go and find the good stuff before the Saturday rush.

Brings lots of cash. triple digits are neccessary. 300 to 350 minimum. Most of the dealers there have pretty affordable stuff. I went there with 200 and still had money left. Don't be afraid to browse booths and tables or to make another round around the dealer room. There's always a possibilty that you'll catch something you didn't see the first time. Also, bring something to carry stuff in, like a big bag. If you find a ton of stuff and don't have anything to carry them in it becomes a huge hassle.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Save save save save. Then buy buy buy buy.

GIANT BAG for travel. Use your shirts for bubblewrap on the way back lol

Enjoy the trip, you're going to have a blast. :) 

5. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Just don't get overwhelmed, make sure you schedule what panels you want to go to, and spend wisely- there's really affordable stuff there but you might get carried away. See you there!

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Like others have said. Bring cash, and lots of it. Makes buying stuff easier and gives you a hard budget you can keep track up. Don't buy stuff your first time around the dealer room, until you've seen what everyone has. If you see something you absolutely must have, and are afraid it will sell out, ask if the dealer can set it aside for you for an hour or two. You don't want to spend all your cash a few minutes in and then find out there was stuff you wanted more, or that you could have gotten at a better price.

7. holocause

holocause Active Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Keep em coming. Really excited now.

Hi matrix-soul, we've met before, you sold me your mp starscream a bit back, never knew you were part of the industry. Hopefully i'll see ya again.

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Oh yeah :lol  sure thing, come stop by, here is my signing schedule

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hate that my cosplay doesn't have comfortable shoes! I tape up my feet though. Listen to this man you will be doing ALOT of walking if you want to hit every table.

OH TOM I WANT AN AUTOGRAPH!

10. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Bring some fabreeze with you so you can give a good spiriting to anyone that smells bad. LOL I'm kidding of course!

Remember to not be afraid of haggling if there's something you must have

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No really, comic con has some NASTY smelling people. And since we are in the city watch out for bed bugs ;) 

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'ma hafta third the whole "people will smell" comments. You're gonna have a LOT of people, many of which won't be known for exercising much, walking around a cramped crowded building and piling onto each other at booths, tables and events all day long. BO will happen. Bring defense.

Also, it helps to check out the website to get a good idea of what booths you wanna hit and what shows/panels/events you'd like to check out. It helps the day go by and makes the trip worth it when you can hit up all those special features and get some good info and entertainment.