HELP: 10 pg Transformer Research Essay

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chazmanz, May 6, 2009.

1. Chazmanz

Chazmanz New Member

So I've been a huge fan since I can remember and I was given the option to choose any subject for my 10pg research Essay. I would need sources from:
    Magazine,
    Book
    Encyclopedia
    Newspaper
    Website

And the rest can be from anything, just as long as I can cite the resources.

It's going to be The Rise of Transformers, dealing with who the creators are and how they came up with the story, the blow up in the 80s, the early 90 period, the beast wars era, the constant reinvetions of the series, today with animated and ROTF, and then ending with the future and summary

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH WHERE I CAN FIND THE SOURCES?
    Mainly finding a book is the hard part for me.

Thanks.

2. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Um, I dunno how to help you much there. You could try the AllSpark Almanac for a book resource. It's just on Animated, though.

3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

TFwiki.net or the TFwikia? I dunno. There's also a book called Transformers: The Ultimate Guide. Probably could even find it in your library.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Your best bet is amazon or your local library, I think.

5. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:

Look up either Hal Erickson or Jeff Lenburgs cartoon encyclopedias---Erickson has a much longer article though that probably would be perfect even if you just cite it for air date, re-runs etc.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    There's a few Pre-transformer pages that may be able to help you out, either with gems to find citable resources or by contacting them. There's even a few users here who have some great pre-tf info and websites.

Tomarts as I recall several years ago did a dense article on the whole origin of the line.

The Ultimate Guide may be of some help, as might a few toy guides. You may want to look for some Marvel comic history and cartoon history books/magazines.

7. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Magizine, check Empire or a film magazine. There are various articles about the LA Movies that you can use.

Books...the movie novels can help there.

Encyclopedia: Transformers the Ultimate Guide is excellent. It covers G1-Classics...though skips Cybertron. (Paperback, Hard cover stops at Armada or Energon I think.)

Newspaper: A quick search online can show Transformers newspaper articles.

Website: TFwiki. The single greatest resource for TF knowledge.

8. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers: Identification and price guide has 2-3 pages on the history.
    Transformers and Philosophy (Popular Culture and Philosophy)--may or might not help you.
    Prime Targets: The Unauthorized Guide to Transformers, Beast Wars and Beast Machines--a bit silly at times but still has some interesting information
    Wikipedia is ok and it will give you some of the references. In terms of the early newspapers and magazines, it may require going to the library. Current ones are much easier to find online or in your library. And good luck with it.

9. Chazmanz

Chazmanz New Member

hey thanks everyone for the help! Im gonna start gathering these tomorrow and hopefully begin typing it up as well. thank you all! :D 

10. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

At books-a-several dozen, there's almost always one or two of those DK books, so you can get cites out of there without buying it.

11. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Your topic seems kind of broad for 10 pages. Most teachers are going to like it better if you narrow it down and get deeper (tell them something they couldn't find out with 10 minutes and a google search)

12. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    The Ultimate Guide is a good little book, written as it is by Simon Furman. There was a DK guide to the first LAM, too.

13. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i agree with this. you could focus on what makes transformers appealing, '84-09. you'd be able to give it shape in the context of a research paper. finding a good angle to tackle it is key.

please be sure to post once it's done!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This, and is this a college or high school class? Cause you if use any wiki as a basis for research in any college class above the 1000 level, the teacher is just gonna laugh at you. Research usually entails creditable sources and fan web pages/wiki just doesn't cut it. If it were me writing this, I'd try to use the Transformers as an analogy for the natural resource crisis, focusing on the Oil Crisis of 1979.

Use the Transformers as a supplementary material to back up your main point. Not as the focal point of your paper.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This. Even in high school, wikis do not count as a credible reference. As complete and accurate as the tf wiki is, you cannot really cite it in an essay.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Holy Crap. I was just given the same assignment a while ago. 'I did A second TF decline on the rise?'. Try posting threads here, and the TFwiki can be a profitable source.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sometimes, I wish hadn't change from English to History cause now I could read silly papers about Transformers instead of yet another paper about Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings.

18. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I switched to history and havent regretted it once!!! haha

And just to be picky - it may be 1000 level courses for you - it would have been 100 level courses at all the colleges I went to. Regardless, WIKI isnt even accepted or allowed at most high schools!!

My favorite way I roped in my nerdom into a paper was by talking about the ways the Cold War manifested itself into pop culture. I even got to talk about Rambo, Rocky, Rocky and Bullwinkle, GI Joe and others in a paper! It was awesome...

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Transformers is a perfectly good main topic for a research paper... depending on the course. I recently wrote a lengthy paper arguing that Marvel Comics is the new American mythology - but it was for a course on the history of children's literature, and comic books were part of the curriculum. So it all depends on what sort of course it is - the original poster never said.

As for the original topic - your topic is entirely too broad and it would likely take up way more than ten pages - and that's before your title page and bibliography.

I also concur with those who have advised against citing Wikis.

Talk to your friendly neighborhood librarian about the databases (i.e. Lexis-Nexis) that are available to you - you might find a lot of helpful information that way. Or you might not - but you should check.

20. Chazmanz

Chazmanz New Member

thanks everyone for helping me out on this. Yeah, I was thinking that whole history is a little broad, and maybe just the rise in the 80s would be alot more smaller, especially since it is 10 pages, that could get pretty filled out quick. I gathered all my information though, and tonight im going to start typing my essay.

I'm pretty excited about starting this paper. I've always wanted to use Transformers as a topic, and now I finally get the chance! I'll be sure to post it up when its done.