Hellboy 3

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OldsCut78, Dec 30, 2008.

1. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Will there be a Hellboy 3?

2. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

From what I understand there was supposed to be 3 live action and 2 animated movies.

3. DeftDutchman

DeftDutchman Well-Known Member

There's definently a set-up for Hellboy 3, but Del Toro is going to be busy for a while with the "two part" Hobbit movies.

4. Jimm

Jimm New Member

I hope so. The first two are awesome

5. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Probably.

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    It'll probably happen but not for a good 4-6 years unless Del Toro does it during the Hobbit.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Del Toro has 20 or so movies ranging from Doctor Strange to Hell Boy 3 under his belt now. Up next is the Hobbit. It may be a while.

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It will definitely happen. Since Ron Perlman is almost 60, I see time as being a real factor with Hellboy 3. So rather than waiting until after The Hobbit, I see Del Toro handing off directorial duties and taking on more of an executive producer type role while he's off filming in New Zealand.

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    That's my guess, too. Hellboy 3 seems to be in the cards, but I can't see Del Toro directing it (although I would love it if he did!). Hopefully Perlman is up to the challenge of playing Red again. It's hard to imagine who else could fit the role as well as he does.

As for the animated movies, I thought a third one was already completed or being finished, but that could totally be something I pulled out of my ass in a dream.

10. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Probably. We'll see. HB2 didn't exactly light the world on fire - nor did HB1, for that matter, so it's amazing we even got this sequel (which I like sooooo much more than the original).

There are three basic reasons to make a sequel to a film that didn't do so well:

1) The property is too well known with too high a potential upside. This is why we got Batman Begins, the Incredible Hulk, and Superman Returns, are getting Terminator 4, will certainly get a sequel/remake of Superman, Planet of the Apes, and Alien, and would get a sequel to Ghostbusters if the talent would get behind it. Hellboy simply doesn't fit in this category.

2) The property is cheaply made, and doesn't need much to keep it going. This is how we get pretty much every horror film series, from Halloween to Pulse.

3) The property is backed by a big player in Hollywood. Vin Diesel and David Goyer simply lack the clout to finish the Riddick Chronicles, but Tom Cruise can keep making Mission Impossibles as long as he likes, and if Will Smith wants to make Hancock 2, Men in Black 3, or (God help us) Wild Wild West 2 it will happen. This is the only reason HB2 got made - del Toro used his Pan's Labyrinth clout to pick his next project, and praise be to God, he chose Hellboy 2 (proof that he is a true geek - most filmmakers would have moved on to more high profile projects, rather than make a starless sequel to moderately successful movie about a third tier comic book character).

The problem is that del Toro has spent his chips on HB2, and that didn't do well enough for him to push through HB3.

Thankfully, Peter Jackson stepped in and offered him The Hobbit films, which will surely make gazillions, and give del Toro clout to make HB3. The question is whether he'll still want to do it in 6 years (the cast most likely will).

11. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I personally would be shocked if a hellboy 3 would get made. Don't get me worng hellboy 1&2 I loved but I honestly don't see where they could take the next one really.

12. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Well, there's a whole universe that Mike Mignola thought up with the original Hellboy comic books. It's largely untapped. Oh, and Rasputin isn't "dead" as seen on Hellboy II epilogue on the DVD and they are resurrecting Kroenen. Only time and budget will be the deterrent.

13. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Yeah, there are so many Hellboy stories they could use for another movie that they could lay out all of the comics, close their eyes, toss a dart and just pick whichever one it lands on.