Hell on Wheels (2011 TV series)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TrueNomadSkies, Dec 11, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Colm Meany + AMC = Hell on Wheels

So aside from having something to watch while Breaking Bad & Walking Dead are on break (couse lets face it, this is about as big of a selling point as any), I'm getting more & more drawn into Hell on Wheels every week, and I've never even been that big on westerns.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, what're your thoughts on the progression?

- Hell on Wheels (TV Series 2011) - IMDb
    - Hell on Wheels – AMC

2. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Watched the pilot and it was shit.

3. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    saw 1st show. Was so bored. Haven't watch another ep. Since

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with the pilot either, but I think most of that had to do with the fact that when it comes to serious shows that aren't set in modern time, I'm much more familiar with scifi universe stuff oppose to westerns or old time environments.

Along with that, it doesn't help that Cullen's character seems to be one of the least intriguing of the bunch, a least right now. However, I'm still liking this more & more as I watch (I think we've gone through 4 or 6 episodes now), so who knows.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I've given this show a chance and it still hasn't impressed me very much. It just didn't get me interested as other westerns like Deadwood and the modern-day western Justified.

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    It's okay but I'm not hooked on it.

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I don't wanna ruin anything for the potential addicts, but last night's episode was definitely a gooder. :) 

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've spent the weekend catching up on the show so far, and I've really enjoyed it. While it's not the quality of the Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, I do think it's a rather enjoyable show. I really like Colm Meaney's character, Mr. Durant. Also, I think the Swede is a great character, too - very mysterious, very creepy, and has his own agenda. As a Robocop fan, I instantly recognized Tom Noonan (Cain/Robocop II from Robocop 2) as Rev. Cole :) 

I will say that I think much of my enjoyment has been due to watching everything back-to-back. I can certainly see how it can be very uninteresting in hour segments. It's storyline has certainly been building up to a few key points, and I think the payoff is there.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this show is in danger of becoming boring. Tonight's episode was "ok", but I'm just afraid that things are going to get stale really quickly.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hmm, I swear I posted in here after the repeat, but I guess I ended up clicking away from the page before actually doing so. In either case, I get what you're saying. This week's episode definitely didn't hold as much weight for me as the last one did, and it seemed like they were trying explore too many things tonight instead of focusing on anything in full (or rather in as much detail as I'd have liked. I still think the pace will pay off in the long run, but considering that we're already nearing the end of the season... well, you know. :( 

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Agreed. My Dad thought "Derailed" was really good, but I felt it was just OK. I'm totally hooked on the show, though. I'm a fan of westerns, so that's probably a big part of it. Not sure why we keep going back to the preacher, when the Swede (who isn't) is a much more interesting character.

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Oh, I think something's definitely gonna go down with Swede next season, haha, if not in the finale.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I've been watching, it is a pretty cool show.

But holy shit, The Swede. IS. AWESOME.

Why isn't the show about that guy? He wipes the floor with Bohannon in terms of charisma, he is playing everyone like a violin [hell, he manipulated a SENATOR] Now that's a BOSS.

Even in one of the last episodes, Toole [the irish racist dude] appeared to ambush Bohannon, we noticed how utterly badass The Swede is:

Bohannon was outgunned and outnumbered, he said some random badass one-liner ["You ain't going through me, sir" or something like that], but The Swede? He just entered saying "Gentlemen." with class.

Then Toole started swearing and saying he was outnumbered, The Swede's answer? "Oh I beg to differ." and cue his men come out, outnumbering Toole's men.

AND. HE. DIDN'T. RAISE. HIS. VOICE.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    ... like a boss.

15. Overlord Balder

We should rename the term "Like a Boss" to "Like a Swede", I'm sure our Swedish comrades would be okay swith it, at least.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Like The Swede... because I don't know if actual Swedes are that badass.

17. Overlord Balder

Well, Mattias Nilsson from Mercenaries and Peter Stormare are swedish, I am seeing a pattern of extreme badassery here...

18. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Stormare PLAYS Nilsson. That's like counting Superman and Clark Kent as two people.

19. Overlord Balder

Watched Derailed [I'm a bit late, though].

Cool episode, though I am growing tired of those jerkass confederates popping up at every corner, God damn'it, were ALL of those ruthless assassins? Come on!

This show is making me feel sad for everyone in that hellbound railroad: Cole lost his grip on reality due the shit he's been putting up with, the Indians are going to get slaughtered, Durant is a truly hearbroken fellow, Lily is following the same path, The Swede is having a nervous breakdown ["But...I'm from norway"].

I hope The Swede gets some more screentime [and some more psychological mindgames] in the next episodes, he's by a mile the most interesting character of the entire show, but the one with the least of screen-time, and the one who always get the short end of the stick [see this episode, he got beaten up and...not much else].

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, we're only gonna have to wait a little over a day to see, and of course to come with a new meme.