"Hee-Haw"...um not so fun today...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jon Hager, the remaining twin of the Hager twin comedy duo that was one of the original members of "Hee-Haw"
    passed away. He was 67.

I grew up with Hee-Haw in the house. Having lived in a family that was mostly rural, and thought that the Grand Ole Opry was as important as church, this kind of news is indeed sad.

It falls into the "ending of an era" feeling for me.

As goofy stupid as "Hee-Haw" appreared to most, it had 2 qualities that no one can refute.
    The comedy was as clean, good natured and neighborly as it could get and it gave the show its longevity.

As much as i like the new comedy- Lewis Black, Dangerfield, Kinison, Leary, and Chris Rock- i still have a spot saved for "Hee-Haw".

YouTube - Where, Oh Where

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    It wasn't THAT clean, there was a definite undercurrent of boobs and hillbilly filth there. Half the jokes relied upon that sorta stuff, farmers daughters, moonshine etc. Just because they didn't use any turlet-talk doesn't mean it wasn't dirty :p 

Also, calling Kinison or Dangerfield "new" anything makes you a liar! ;) 

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It may mean I am inaccurate, not a liar, nitwit.
    and, in comparison to a show like Hee-Haw, Kinison and Dangerfield were considered the "new breed" in the 80s and early 90s.

Yes, the show had boob jokes and other things, but it was much cleaner than most everything else on tv at the time.

so, when you finish 4th grade and know your vocabulary, come back and talk sensibly.
    till, then, stay in Cornfield County.
    OK?

thanks

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I agree that it was much cleaner, I grew up watching it too. It was the american Benny Hill, or at least that's how it always seemed to me. It might be cleaner than stuff now, but at the time it was definitely pretty risque.

Uh, did I miss something, what was with the 4th grade thing about? You mentioned Lewis Black and Chris Rock in there, not exactly contemporaries of Rodney Dangerfield or Sam Kinison (who has been dead for like 18 years now) was my point on that - just making a little joke. Meow.

EDIT - The only video I could really find of non-musical stuff on Youtube was a bloopers reel full of cursing, and another one that started with some kind of rape joke. Also, I found this - case closed? I'm not sure why you're mad at me though, I loved it at as a kid. SHRUG.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Dangerfield was especially considered old school considering he spent the better part of his career in stand-up comedy before going into movies. To even lump him into that grouping is silly.

But yeah, also grew up on Hee-Haw. Its alot like the Ernest movies. HIlarious when you're growing up, but dated and not really funny as an adult.

6. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

That reminds me, did they ever put Hey Vern, it's Earnest on dvd?

7. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Hee-Haw always sucked...