Heavy Rain Official Thread - Use spoiler tags or that won't be rain!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    The demo is already available on European PSN, but will be made available in North America tomorrow.

I have very high expectations for this game. Looks more like an interactive movie than a game, but I'm a sucker for a good plot, good VA and good graphics, and Heavy Rain seems to fit the bill.

Has anyone tried the demo yet?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heheh, I already have it. Got it as a reward for playing that mystery game on the official site. If you know what you're going to be playin, it's freekin' awesome.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I'm really looking forward to checking this game out. So I'll be certain to snag the demo on Thursday.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Another one on my list of games to get. The Shelf of Shame grows ever larger :( 

6. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    Well I watched Darksydephill (youtuber) play the demo and It looked like a completely different game. The gameplay seems fun and the storry seems good but VAs kinda bad if you ask me. Overall I may get it and I alredy started to wonder who is that "Origami killer".

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Based off what I knew and the positive reviews I was already planning on picking up Heavy Rain. Still I wanted to try the demo and get an idea of what it felt like to play the game.

The demo gives you a brief tutorial and then two little segments (with two different characters) to try out. It took a bit of getting used to but all in all I was digging the feel. The first guy you play has some questioning and a small fight scene. The second guy was more about the forensic side of the gameplay.

I was surprised at the fight, while the combat certainly doesn't make you feel like a badass I found it gave the vibe of a more realistic, somewhat hectic fight that these two guys would have. I hit most of the right prompts but even when I missed a button and would take the hit/slash/shove/etc. the fight would continue giving me a chance to once again gain the upper hand (so quicktime-y but without the insta-death). Twas fun.

My only issue was I found that at times I wanted to rotate the camera freely but the game doesn't allow for that (you can move around freely and the camera will follow, or you can L1 switch between 2 main camera angles). I minor issue as I was never unable to see what I needed, I just wanted to look around.

I'll try it out again but either way I'm really looking forward to getting into the full game at the end of the month.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Have had the demo since the EU release.

Been hyped for the game for quite some time. Just...the walking controls, camera, and to an extent the voice acting are all really bad, not enough to ruin the game for me, but it's definitely a knock against it.

9. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I was waiting for the demo before committing to this game. But after playing it, directly went to pre-order at Amazon. I can see this being a very polarizing "game" but as one who generally hates QTEs, I actually rather enjoy this.

10. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:
    it's pretty damn fun...i am definitely pre-ordering this

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of QTE either, but I found myself enjoying this, and I wondered why. Then I figured out that with the exception of fights, the QTE in this game are very organic, so they feel like your controlling the character directly, and also, it's a bit more forgiving, in that unlike games like Dragon's Lair, missing a QTE doesn't = death.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Played the demo and relly liked it. The rain really sets the mood and the ambient effects are good. Nice, crisp textures, decent antialiasing.

Controls take a while to get used to and the iffy voice acting are my main concerns.

Still looking forward to this. I love a good 'interactive movie' and this looks like an engaging story.

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I never expected a fight done entirely with QTEs could be so engaging and pulse-pounding.

That demo is an amazing experiance.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you stand near that girl in the apartment, and not respond, she reacts to it. I like that in Mass Effect you can kinda think about what you're going to say before you say it, but in this game it's also cool to know that like in real life, if you just stand there and say nothing, people will react to it. I love the detective's glasses.

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Tried the demo. have mixed feelings.

Pro:
    nice atmosphere.
    excellent graphics.
    compelling story. Even my wife took an interest, and she HATES videogames and mocks almost anything that isn't Rock Band. She even made fun of Uncharted 2, so the fact that this pulled her in is really saying something.
    best QTE implementation ever. It's forgiving when it needs to be and completely organic. When your character needs to take something out of his pocket for example, you don't push X, you make the same motion with the right stick that your hand would take to reach into your pocket. Consequently it FEELS like you have complete control over your character even moreso than if you were playing on a 30 button controller. Of course you really don't...you can only do what they want you to do when they want you to do it, but the fact that you never feel out of direct control is a testament to the quality of the QTE.

Cons:
    The voice acting is subpar. At points it pulled you out of the illusion created by the story and atmosphere and controls, which could become a real problem.
    I hate not having real camera control. I understand the reasoning, but it's the only part of the control scheme that feels unnatural to me. I kept wanting to look around and couldn't.

Still kind of on the fence on this one. The reviews are really positive so far which may be what puts me over the top.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dynamite, some of the reviews do mention that the VO isn't bad throughout the whole game. I think because of the hours of dialogue recorded, there are moments that they probably got lazy, but what I've read from multiple reviews is that it gets better and definitely more intense as the game goes along.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of that is because you don't have to do most of these things to move the game a long. The guy at the motel, for example. Since you know the girl is upstairs the second playthrough, you can just ignore him. I didn't put the money on the table for the girl. So even though they force you to do these mini QTE for certain actions, some of those actions don't have to be performed.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

excellent point. I think I might experiment more with ignoring commands tonight. Did anybody try not using the inhaler when the guy has the asthma attack?

EDIT: Damn it Prowl. I'll have you know that this post of yours BY ITSELF is what put me over the top. ;) 

I just preordered at Amazon.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just heard a podcast about a guy who put the money on the table, and on his way out, he took it back, LMAO. I tried ignoring the inhaler after the second puff. Didn't notice anything different. Would be cool is his reactions in the fight was worst, I'll try it tonight.

I don't think it's like you'll get 100 variations, but there are definitely different ways to do things. Like in the body investigation, I chose to not talk to the cop in charge, and he saw me inspecting the body and got mad at me.

The podcast review I heard said the story gets really awesome without going into Lost confusion of Indigo Profecy Sci Fi stuff. It's just a good Noir story.

Hey Dyno, I just noticed your Live Tag. I saw your friend request from me still pending, so I canceled it. Didn't realize it was you. I'm Windcharger_TFW on Live.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I'm definitely downloading this tonight. Seems like a cool game.