Heavy handed vs brittle plastic

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Right, we've all heard horror stories of certain toys having bad, brittle, weak and crappy plastic, sometimes through the batch or just as a result of bad QC.

Now, how much of this is true and how much of this is people just being ham fisted and not treating the toys with the proper respect? I always handle my transformers as carefully as possible, because I know how easily things can break, and I know that some breaks can be totally catastrophic and ruin the toy entirely. I would think that my experience with miniatures means I have a relatively light touch for such things.

I do think that some people might be prone to grabbing things, applying too much pressure or maybe just being unaware of what their hands are doing at a given moment then SNAP!!! broken toy. The reason "brittle plastic". The real reason, ham-fisted-heavy-handed-handling.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Probably a bit of both. You can't mold so many toys without some issues with quality control. However, some people are rough with their toys as well. Sometimes it is a combination of both. Gold Plastic Syndrome is a bit of brittle plastic you can't argue with.

3. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

GPS is definitely a real problem. With gold plastic syndrome, even if you're gentle with the toy it can still crumble and fall apart.

4. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

GPS aside,you shouldn't have to treat toys "with the proper respect." It's ridiculous. These things are made for 6 year olds to slam against each other in the sandbox.

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

two-fisted toy justice?

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i am extremely careful with my toys. i got one figure that is prone to gps, and i have personally experience a piece litterally snap off just trying to transform it carefully (g1 skyhammer)

7. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

What is this GPS? Just toys being brittle and breaking? Or something else. I've never actually heard it before.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GPS is sadness wrapped in despair.

Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki

9. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Gold Plastic Syndrome(GPS)

edit: Damn, beaten.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    GPS is Gold Plastric Syndrome. It's where the gold colour mixed with the plastic which makes it weaker. You can see it as swirly patterns in the plastic. (darn - beated)

I think TFs break for many reasons. Using the wrong types of plastic for certain parts (that clear hard plastic for joints which cracks or softer plastics which bends), instructions not being clear of how a part is supposed to hinge or twist or whatever so you break it by trying to work out how it should be moved, and poorly designed parts which have a slightly oversize edge which makes two parts conflict when there's a hinge (usually when the edge is supposed to be some kind of false ratchet). ROTF Dirtboss' side parts have this I noticed - I thought I was going to break the hinges folding them back. Or parts are too tight so they crack or bend when trying to manipulate them how the instructions say.
    And, of course, hamfisters that force everything.

11. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Here's the TFwiki article on it:

Gold Plastic Syndrome

EDIT: Darn it, beaten.