Heavenly Sword

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Primus, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    So I've played about 2 hours of Heavenly Sword. I love it. It is everything I had hoped it would be. It very similar to God of War, but in a different way. As I played I kept saying, "I'll just quit after the next checkpoint". Which is pretty much the same thing I would say playing GoW. The problem with that is I would get to the next checkpoint and say the same thing.

The game is by far the best looking game I have ever played. Now, I don't have a 360, so I can't make any comparisons to 360 graphics. All I know is that the game looks damn good. I also like how you switch between the swords. It make for a very fluid gameplay.

One thing I'm unsure about is the combos. They are a little excessive. I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to pick a few that I like and keep using those or what because so far I have unlocked about 50 combos. I seem to execute combos when I'm just mashing buttons and when I try combos sometimes I don't get the expected result.

Another thing I'm a tiny bit unsure about is that this game is very linear. So far I can only go the way they lead me. I don't really have a problem with this because otherwise if I could go anywhere I would inevitably go in the wrong direction and get totally off track (ie Zelda). This works for me but I could see how some people would prefer a little more freedom of movement.

There is also some kind of style point system. I'm not exactly sure how it works. I think you get ranked on a scale of 1 to 3 for each checkpoint on the style of your kills with more styles unlocking more things.

One thing that I really liked about the game is that they pretty much just dropped you in and all kinds of baddies started attacking. Pretty cool.

There is also very interesting use of motion controls. You can pick up all kinds of stuff in this game and throw it. When you throw it, if you hold down the "X" button you get a kind of "bullet time" effect where you are the object that you threw and you control its trajectory with the motion controls. I'm not sure how accurate they were but so far I have not been in a situation where they had to be exact. If you needed to throw something at a target you would get multiple objects to throw in case you missed. I'm sure I will get more accurate as time goes.

The story is fairly impressive so far. The cut scenes are implemented very nicely and flow great with the game.

Hopefully this game is a sign of things to come for the PS3.

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I recently saw reviews for this as well. Looks mighty fun, and the choreography is excellent.

As with most games with an excessive amount of combos, I just stick with a few good ones, but only because I have terrible memory...

God of War was pretty much as linear as it gets with games as well, so this should be no biggy as well.

That being said, I'm not sure if I'll pick up this game. For one, I still don't own a next gen console. That, and she's still no raging Spartan God of War. :p 

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

but she's HAWT!

4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

From what I played of the demo. Honestly I wasn't impressed. A lot of what was going on, on screen just didn't seem to correlate with what I was pushing, and the game just felt... Off.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here is the thing. I am a Kratos fanatic... Seriously, I'd sleep with him if I weren't straight... But Fighting with Naruko is more pleasing... seriously.. The way it feels (AND SOUNDS) when you rip through enemies and she goes insane at lightning speed. Yesterday I was standing between to (somewhat far apart) enemies, and I would slice one, push left (she would flip) and slice the other (push right) and she woud roll and slice the other. You almost wanted to cheer for her like in a movie, but you were the one controlling her.

Fuck, and the presentation is through the roof. I love how every level starts with her talking shit to her god (looking directly at you like it's your fault "I almost feel bad") and then the camera moves away and she looks towards the next level... And she looks seriously CG in real-time (you can barely see signs of jaggies to prove it is)

Also, when you meed certain bad guys, the window splits, and you see them in an Anime-like window talking in a close up, while the action goes on in the main window.

This game may end up being short, but I've played games that were much longer and didn't feel as pleasing to play.

Edit... And the cannon level.... WTF, those were all real-time models of hundreds of soldiers marching down the hill, getting tossed in the air like rag dolls when your cannon ball hit them. That's a lot of shit to display at the same time.

6. smangerbot

i tried to buy it yesterday, turned out i was a day early... might have to pick it up after work...

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, Smanger, I'm only like two levels into it. I had to stop because of work at 6 this morning, but if you have any questions about it, let me know.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Can't wait to get a PS3.

< missing out

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
  10. Primus

News Credits:
    Yeah dude, that cannon level was crazy! I knew it was going to be crazy when it said I had to kill *700* bad guys to move on. And I love how you can kind of ride on the cannon shots as they fly through the air.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Nice review there Gen Magnus, and that is pretty much how I felt about the demo. I really wish it had been a little longer so I could decide if this chick can actually match up w/ my beloved Kratos, but from what I did see in the demo, I am unimpressed. I guess I will have to wait for a more thorough review of the entire game.

12. smangerbot

yeah, i need to know the button combo for the "remove clothing" action.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sounds like a good game.

I like the trailer they showed for it in front of 'Superbad'.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For boneheads like me the ability to ride the cannonballs and arrows helped. Also, did you notice that when you hit the bad guys with arrows they react to where they are being shot? I shot a guy in the ass as he was turning to run and he grabbed his ass and started jumping, until I silenced him with another arrow to the back of the head lol.

AABBA

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! I can't buy this untill I finish Lair and Shadow of the Colossus, you guys are making it sound really fun.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh so when you sent me the message that your were playing Shadows, you meant for the first time? I thought you were just replaying it or something. Dude. See Shadows through to the end. That game proved that the PS2 could push graphics all the way until the end. Great Great Ending and ridiculous final Boss. "Heavenly Can Wait", heheh... hey I almost quoted IronMaiden... I'm so old.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with Maiden brother. Yeah my wife and I were talking about Ico so I finally picked up SOTC. My daughter loves watching me play so it is a good bonding session, she also likes Oblivion and want's me to get "Sword"

I took down number 11 I think last night, the Warthog one that was afraid of fire, man that guy was a bitch. Love the game though, such a feeling of accomplishment when you take down a Colossus, I also feel a little bad for some reason.

18. Primus

News Credits:
    I only got to about number 10 or 11 on SOTC. My kids loved watching me play too. Not sure why I stopped playing. Maybe I'll finish after HS.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Good then the game is prompting the right feelings. Good that you played Ico, the ending will make you scratch your head more.

The last boss is a whore, but damn if he isn't insanely cool.

20. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I was in Target this morning and didn't buy it because I hadn't read the reviews. DAMN IT!

Another positive sign for PS3 game development... while previewing Conan for the folks at Gamespot.com the developers at Nihilistic chose to demo the PS3 version, not the 360.