heat and toys, how bad is it reallly?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm sure just about everyone here in NA except the lucky ones in canada and the pacific nw of america are experiencing this pretty bad heat wave. I just unloaded all of my toys from storage and put them all up in the third floor (it's only one room) of my house. now there's a window at each end of the room, plus a skylight, so there's ventilation but they're all out of the direct sun.

the thing is that after being in storage, I had a few star wars toys partly turn yellow, and some weapons, including a darth maul lightsaber get really warped and bent, although they were in an attic in florida, so it's not really much of a surprise.

so hypothetically speaking, if your toys are out in a room where it's probably going to be 85 during the day in the summer (we've got no a/c at all) and maybe spike up to 95 every now and then, is there much reason to worry about them? I'm especially concerned with warping/melting and of course the dreaded yellowing, which even after reading threads and essays on the phenomenon, I'm still unsure of the cause.

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I unfortunately have a situation similar to yours. My collection room is our office and it has no air conditioning. It was an addition to the house and the door stays closed all day to keep the dog out.

All of my toys and collectibles are in there. I'd say its easily 85 in there during the day, if not more.

I leave all the windows closed and have the curtains layered to cover the majority of light coming in. It's humid in there, don't know how bad... but you can tell it is. I open the windows at night if there is a good breeze. Otherwise I just open the door and let the air temperature kinda even out.

I haven't noticed any damage on anything yet (it's been like this for close to a year and a half). My whites still look good and nothing is warping.

Now I wouldn't want to keep them like this forever, but I figure a few months out of the year aren't going to hurt much.

I know this has been discussed before... try searching and see what others have found.

But my advice would be to keep the windows closed and the curtains shut. Skylight there probably isn't much you can do for (maybe you can put a sheet up that will filter it).

Good luck buddy.

3. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Same here, my room is an oven at home, however I have noticed that there's really no harm done to my toys. Sure some with softer plastic get soft but they get right back into shape once they cool off. No formers have ever been damaged by the heat in my room *knock on wood* however I would avoid direct sunlight if you can. Mine are all either in a display case or out of any direct sunlight.

4. Codimus Prime

Oh man I don't think I mentioned that "direct sunlight" thing.... thats a big NO NO! That is one of the major causes of yellowing and damage...

Radiant heat isn't as bad in comparison.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I yellowed a Lego Imperial shuttle by leaving it in the sun - now my TFs are kept out of direct sunlight, but it means I have to move them twice a year as the sun shines onto different sides of the room depending on the time of year (because we're relatively close to the north pole, compared to the US).

6. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i dont think the heat would do anything unless its HOT like ove temperatures

7. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

No air conditioning? :confused:  I think I've shut off mine, maybe one week this year.

8. Codimus Prime

We don't have central air. And I'm not spending another 100 dollars for the unit plus the energy to run it as "toy refrigeration"

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I know, it's just I've lived in Florida so long. Air-conditioning is like water and food to us, :lol .

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

no, I hear ya. it was the florida heat that bent darth maul's saber into the shape of a candy cane, which is what really freaked me out. but I live just outside of boston, so the heat's not gonna be TOO bad. it's quite nice up there today, actually. thanks for the input guys, I think my fears have now been overcome.

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Mine are in the basement with screened windows and air conditioning. I'm not letting anything happen to them. Some of them cost me a fortune.

12. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I've got a Lego mini Star Wars set that a Lego store gave me as a promotional freebie set stashed up in the attic to see if it get hot enough up the in the summer to ruin Lego plastic. If it works out I may be putting my Exo Force collection up there just for want of somewhere to put it. The Transformers alone rapidly eat up most of my available storage and display space in the house proper.

13. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Humidity is a problem, thus AC can help alot in this area. You don't want it too humid or too dry. Extremes of either cause alot of problems for plastics and rubber and can also cause yellowing and cracking. If you care about your figures make sure you have a way to monitor the humidity. Maintaining humidity and keeping your figures in an UV light proof (Or no sun-light) room are key for keeping your collection intact for years to come.