Heat affecting my collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grim Wanderer, May 26, 2011.

1. Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer Well-Known Member

So I have a question.

I recently moved into a place with some actual space, and MY GIRLFRIEND allowed me the attic(small bedroom size) as a place to display my Transformers and other crap she doesn't want elsewhere in the house.

Here's the thing: the attic gets hot. Really hot. It's warm out today, and walking up there was like stepping into a sauna - my glasses literally clouded up a bit. It's absolutely oppressive heat up there, and we're not even into the really hot months.

I did put in a little air conditioner up there, but obviously can't run it all the time - or when I'm away for a week or two for vacation.

So my question is: how bad could this turn out for my stuff? I've been collecting forever, but never had temperature control come up as an issue. I don't really know how hot it might get, but I imagine it'll be about as hot as an attic that isn't on fire can be.

Sadly, my only other option for them is the basement - which doesn't leak or anything, but is unfinished and perpetually just a little damp. I don't expect that would be any better a situation.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Judging by what you wrote, neither the attic nor the basement are places where I would keep my collection. If you can't find any other place to display them, my advice is to pack them up in boxes and keep them in your room.

3. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the same attic and basement types in the place I live and so those were not places I would put my toys. As such, I claimed the extra bedroom as my toy room and in exchange gave the wife the kitchen.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm moving into a new place with the Mrs. and I'd liek to know this as well, bc my collection's l; likely going into the finished basement.

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

its sounds more like humidity rather than heat itself. humidity and heat can cause hydrolysis. this degrades your plastic crack overtime. long period exposure to humidity.

i'd go with razorclaws solution. maybe display only a few at time and keep the rest in boxes.

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wonder if a dehumidifier would make a big enough difference to store your collection down there.

7. AgentTViper

AgentTViper Member

We don't have central air. on a warm day all of my rubsigns are visible.

8. Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.
    I managed to do some negotiating and was forced to cede both basement and attic to her control in exchange for the nice, cool, big middle room on our first floor. I'll have to store away some other toys and books and things I would have had displayed, but oh well.

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    good to hear/read :D 

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sounds like a winning solution.

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have my collection stored in my 2nd bedroom and I have them stored in boxes.

The bedroom is not air condition. I have three AC window units, but not in that bedroom.