Heavy/Scratch: Hearts of Steel Shockwave - Robot Heroes

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pimp My Toy, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    20/6/10

Here's one of my current projects - Shockwave, as imagined in the Hearts of Steel series.

Made from Fimo, Milliput and Kneadatite 'green stuff'. I'm just waiting for the primer to cure and then I'll have him painted.

Ever since seeing the character art I've been wanting to put one of these together. There is a transformable scratch-built styrene version in the works too and I'll post some development pics of it once I'm further along.

Attached Files:

2. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Additional images attached

Attached Files:

3. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Development pics

1. A basic wire armature was put together using a RH Prime as a reference for the limb lengths given their similar stature.

2. Working up a rough shape in Fimo for the torso over the armature.

3. Using a mixture of Green Stuff and Milliput to give smooth surfaces and finer detail (many thanks to Caitlindevi for the tip),

Attached Files:

4. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i really dig this. using the wire, does that allow the arms to move? hurry up and get some paint on this guy!

5. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Yup. The light-gauge wire the arms were built around were looped over the shoulder cross bar so they are free to move. It has resulted in a nice, tight peg/hole joint. Just waiting a couple more days for the primer to cure before slapping some paint on :) 

6. King_Kat

King_Kat the sofa-king great one

thats cool dude

7. Whalemusic360

Whalemusic360 Well-Known Member

Nice! One Problem. You need to do all the HoS guys now!

8. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    You read my mind. I have some ambitious ideas for a number of lines, HoS being one of them. The Insectatrain and Starscream are certainties, but whether I can get over my irrational dislike of Bumblebee (in any guise)... I'm not so sure ;) 

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks good

10. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    cool
    i like it alot

there are other products besides fimo that will give u clearer results. try any plumbers putty/quick steel - it dries within 10-15 min and its rock(opps steel hard), after it cures u can scrible some nice details on it .

better then that and more expensive is tamiya epoxy putty- that stuff is pure win - u can smooth it with a wet finger or a small brush.

11. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:

The Fimo is pretty much completely covered bya layer of the greenstuff/milliput (both are two-part air-drying epoxy putties). I tend to use Fimo to get the rough shape of the miniature - it is too soft to take small detail and far too easily squashed when you're concentrating on other areas unless it's baked. I probably should use an air-drying clay from the start, I just like the reassurance of being able to start again if I go horribly wrong ;S

12. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:

I would not use plumbers epoxy except for fusing your armature wires together for stability, and ALWAYS use safety gloves. That stuff is nasty and not meant to be handled with bare skin.

I would suggest magic sculpt, it's a two part compound that has a longer period of workability. Also super sculpey is great stuff if the environment isn't too hot. I use a little bit of googone on a brush and smooth out the surface of the sculpey like that. It gently melts the top layer giving you an exceptionally smooth finish.

Nice work!