Hearts of Steel #3

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by BeastWars 4ever, Sep 4, 2006.

1. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nobody started a thred about it yet, so I figured that I'd do it. Sheesh... its almost been out for a week. I haven't been able to pick it up yet, so I was wondering what everyone else thought...

2. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Er ... Didn't Hearts of Steel #2 come out on August 16th? Isn't releasing the next issue a mere two weeks later a little too ... soon?

Not that I'm complaining if they did.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I got mine more than two weeks ago. Or at least, I think I did.

4. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah it did come out. It's on Ebay and Diamond's shipping list. Also IDW said it's out. It came out last Wendsday.

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got my #3 this last Wednesday.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm guessing this is a TF comic?

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Evolutions is their alternate reality book, short series set in what-if scenarios. Hearts of Steel is their first Evolutions story, set in the Industrial Revolution.

I bought this, but it's kind of...not that good. I LOVED the first two issues and the way they played with convention, but this one just wasn't that interesting. The art takes a BIG step backwards this issue. Supposedly Guido was having trouble keeping pace so they brought in some other guys to do the art, and it kind of sucks. There's a LOT less detail in the character models, and not nearly as many cool background cameos. Not a whole lot happened storywise either, honestly, other than just that the Decepticons are heading for New York with John Henry, Bumblebee, and a couple of hobos in hot pursuit, and Ravage attacked that one guy whose name escapes me. And more Mark Twain making comical observations.

I never in my life thought I'd say the preceding two sentences about a Transformers comic.

Anyway, kudos to IDW for the premise of Evolutions, and here's hoping it continues after Hearts of Steel wraps up. But this issue...not so hot. We didn't learn much of anything that we didn't already know at the conclusion of #2, and in a spectacular case of bad timing, the limp story in this issue got coupled with farm team artists that couldn't/didn't have time to maintain the artistic detail of the first two issues.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah issue #3 isn't up to par with 1 and 2, but Ravage's design was pretty damn sweet.

9. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah....the art got bad...really bad...like you couldnt tell who was who unless specifically referred to by name. Even the Squalkbox cover looked horrible.

10. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I thought it was a decent issue, though kinda crappy art wise. A shame, since the bot designs kick so much ass.

The big problem is that there's an AWFUL lot left to cram into the last issue. I mean, we haven't seen Prime and Megs in action yet. I would've preferred another issue or so of story/development.

-XCN-

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the art wasn't very good. And the TFs were REALLY out of proportion in some panels, that one with Bumbleebee, Prowl, and the others made them look nearly mountain-sized.

Still, I think the pacing on this is excellent (thought the Ravage attack was really well done, especially), to the point where it doesn't look like everything will be crammed into the last issue, though things certainly are coming to a head. This is my favorite title IDW's put out so far, ignoring this issue's art. Can't wait for #4 to come out!

12. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I agree, it wasn't as good as the other two. Though I did love the Ravage vs. Twain scene. The reason it came out so soon was that 2 was delayed by a month and they wanted to keep it on schedule overall.

13. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Never.

I would have never in a million years thought that some day I would see Mark Twain fending off Ravage with a wooden chair.

And winning.

Yeah, it was goofy. A tad more cheesalicious than the last two issues.

Like others, I was not as fond of the pencilling here as I was with Guido. I will say, though, that rather than look like an episode of the cartoon, it actually looked like an older Transformers issue from Marvel. So it wasn't that bad, as it did strike a nostalgic chord, just in a different way.

The coloring again really maintains the time period here, and even though the pencils weren't as strong, the coloring does more than make up for it.

Storywise, it kind of faltered for me a bit. It crossed the line of mediocrity, something the last two issues rose above.

Overall, I give it a "C". Mediocre, with some laughable moments, but not really impacting the overall series in a negative way.

If the story is going to end like I think it will, with a Back to the Future III-esque train chase, then I think Dixon will end things with a bang.

Looking forward to it.

14. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Seems like Hearts of Steel isn't quite as popular as it was with the first two issues.

Anybody else got this yet, and if so, what do you think?

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    stormbringer 3 stole its thunder i think.

i actually thought mark twain kicked ass smoking the cherrot. sure the whole thing is hokey, but i like what dixon is doing. he seems adept that weaving both the human and robots side of the story. too bad abt the art tho.