Hearts of Plastic (The Life and Times of Transformer Toys)

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Mr. Chaos, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

:popcorn 

2. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. WEEGEE

WEEGEE i am the weegee cuckoo cuchoo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm regretting chaos saving you.

4. Lock Cade

:lol 

5. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. WEEGEE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make it happen Hasbro!

7. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    :lol 

8. Optimax Prime

Optimax Prime The 14th Prime

Fort Optimax (which is more than meets the eye)
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

9. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    \[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. WEEGEE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd watch it

11. Optimax Prime

-_- next

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

That sounds about right

13. Lock Cade

Madea Joins the Dinobots?

*Nopes away*

14. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

...yeah, this isn't a joke. Sex in the City sucks and I've seen every episode of The Golden Girls at least twice. God, I love that show. And Nautica is so Rose.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Optimax Prime

i never saw both of those shows so i don't get it, Game of Thrones i get, SitC and TGG i don't

please do a GoT one next, please

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  16. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    So hey... no new comic but here is what the crazy guy who created the baby robot that eats clowns thinks of the new Wonder Woman film!

The critics are mostly correct. When their reviews are basing the other DC movies they are wrong but when it comes to just this film they are 100% correct. Wonder Woman is the best DCEU movie they’ve produced yet. Now, don’t get me wrong… I love the other three. But the tone and style of this film are just great and, more to the point, I feel that the editing is spot on perfect save for a single scene (for those curious, the scene is when Diana confronts Ares only to realize she doesn’t have her sword. We cut to Steve Trevor… then cut back to Diana, who is leaping back into the scene having retrieved her sword. I would have shot it differently as it comes off as very awkward). This is a point I’ve commented on with other DC films: Suicide Squad was hurt by the editing, as I feel it would have made for a MUCH stronger film if Harley’s backstory had been more spread out and made us believe the Joker was dead until the final scene, with her ‘rescue’ by him in the 2nd act being revealed to be a trick by the Enchantress. Here though the editing is great and the film just moves along well. If Justice League and Aquaman move and are paced like this we are in for some great films.

The humor is there when you need it and gone when you don’t. In fact, by the third act there are no jokes but that is fine… we are in war, facing Ares, and there is no need for comedy. But in the beginning and middle it is perfect.

Wonder Woman herself works great in this film. One of the things that a lot of mediums forget is that Diana is supposed to be the person who most loves the entire world. Too many times people make her a rage fighter (Justice League Cartoon) or arrogant and pro-war (Injustice and Frank Millers All-Star Batman and Robin… hey kids, want to hate comics? Read that piece of shit). But as Blackest Night tells us Wonder Woman’s primary emotion is love. Not sexual love but rather a love for life and the world. And this Wonder Woman loves the world, though by the time we meet her in BvS she has lost some of that love and it takes Superman’s sacrifice and Batman’s help to make her remember how she once felt. In fact, I find it rather interesting that Diana never seems to get angry at people; oh, she gets upset, but it is more like a mother being upset with her child. At one point she is yelling at a general who is willing to let soldiers in the field die if it means peace in the long wrong. Diana scolds him and ends it with “You should be ashamed”. She comes off more disappointed in him, angry that he isn’t being the man she believes he, and so many others, can be, than just “I have a way this should be and you aren’t doing it so you are wrong.”.

And that is the other thing… Diana doesn’t judge. Oh, she’s open and honest but there is no malice or “I’m better than you”. It is more of a “This isn’t how I do things… why do you do it this way?”. When we get the standard opening 3rd act ‘Main Character is mad at another main character for doing something they disagree with’ it again is Diana upset that people aren’t living up to what they can be… what she KNOWS they can be.

Steve Trevor. Much like Agent Carter from the first Captain America (which remains my top Marvel Superhero Film (and I mean in the Marvel Movie Universe… Deadpool doesn’t count here)) I am disappointed that Steve is in the past so we won’t get more of him. Chris Pine really shows some great acting chops, as he could have made this just another cocky Captain Kirk but instead makes Steve funny, passionate, a bit of a bumbler, but still capable. He works so well with Diana and I really want him to be more involved with the DCEU. Personally? In other mediums it is established that Steve had a son, Steve Trevor Jr., who looks just like him and thus allowed Wonder Woman to include Steve. While that doesn’t work here… why not say that Steve has a sister who marries a man with the last name of Jordon and 100 years later Diana meets Steve’s great great nephew, Hal Jordon, also played by Chris Pine? We’ve had Wonder Woman with Superman and with Batman… why not with Green Lantern?

Ares. Okay, I am going to be as spoiler free as I can with this: Ares is not what you would expect. And I love him for it. This is an Ares that reminds me a bit of Kevin Smith’s (not the film director/Silent Bob… the actor who sadly died about 10 years ago) Ares from ‘Hercules’ and ‘Xena’. I love his design, I love how he operates, and I love his powers. I want to see more of him and the other gods (and will discuss how this could come to pass in a second post).

The Setting. The writers deserve praise for deciding to set this in World War I. I know there are people who are saying “It should be WWII, that was the last great war!” But here is the thing… I remember a historian said that, if ever there was a war that HAD to be fought, it was WWII. What Hitler did, what the Nazis did… no, there could never be agreements or truces or anything like that. It had to be fought. WWI though… WWI is when the idea of ‘noble war’ died. It is when a man could kill hundreds without even seeing where they stood. When WWI happened so many thought that it would be a quick affair and that soldiers fighting in the glorious campaign would help usher in a new golden age. Instead we got death and darkness and those brave boys who signed up and were so proud to wear their uniforms were mutilated and killed because petty powerful men decided they wanted to see whose was bigger.

I HIGHLY suggest rewatching Downton Abbey Series 2 before watching Wonder Woman to put you in the right frame of mind. There so many of the characters were happy to go to war, wanted to go to war, saw it as some great duty… and by the end it has come crashing down and the true horror is revealed. I am reminded of one of the footmen who was so upset his mother wouldn’t let him go to war, how he was shamed by women in the village because they felt him a coward for not going to that noble battle front… and by the end he dies a slow, painful death. And for what? Nothing.

That is why WWI works. It is a war Ares would create. A senseless war. A needless war. A war where noble ideas died and the world first realized that things would never be the same again. A quote by Lord Grantham fits perfectly for Wonder Woman: “The world was in a dream before the war, but now its woken up and said goodbye to it. And so must we.”

I also want to talk about Marvel for a moment (as I promised my cousin Jasmin I would). First, let’s discuss the first Captain America movie. As I said, it is my favorite Marvel film. But I think this film exposes a flaw of that film: In Cap, war is treated very much like a propaganda film. Which is hilarious because Cap spends the beginning of the war as a propaganda piece only to then join the war… but the movie’s action scenes are still propaganda. It is Cap and his happy band of soldiers destroying faceless goons while fighting the Red Skull who wants to do evil things but we don’t ever really see him doing those evil things.

In Wonder Woman? She sees the men coming home from the front maimed. We see the desperate innocents begging for help and fleeing. And Wonder Woman wants to help each of them. She wants to help get a cart out of the mud because then maybe the scared men will stop whipping the horse. She wants to comfort the screaming soldier who is slowly dying. She stops when a mother begs for help and talks to her in her native tongue. Where Cap 1 didn’t show us holocaust victims or even soldiers really being killed save for being killed by PG-style energy blasts that render them into kid-friendly bursts of blue… Wonder Woman shows us people killed by mustard gas. It shows us torn to shreds landscapes. We see the horrors of trench warfare. It shows us men scarred from battle, having night terrors and unable to enjoy life after what they saw. The director and writers deserve praise for being willing to show us the horrors of war and make it clear WHY Ares must be stopped. Why he can’t be allowed to continue his war. In this Wonder Woman kicks Cap’s ass.

The other point I want to make about Marvel, and my last point before I wrap this up, is about how DC has handled Wonder Woman vs. their first female superhero Black Widow. Now, some will say that I should compare first appearance to first appearance but I want to compare this film to Iron Man 2. But I will say that I could replace BvS with WW and still get the same results.

WW begins by showing us Diana at work. She works at the Louve, has an impressive office, and clearly is someone of importance. We then cut to her childhood and meet her family and get a sense of who she is.

Black Widow first appears with doe eyes, the camera staring down at her like she is a child. And while she does showcase some good fighting moves… we also get Tony looking at photos of her in panties and a bra for no reason other than “OMG Scarlett is hot and we need to show off her boobies!”

Please note that we never see Wonder Woman like this. The most revealing outfit she wears is her armor and even that is more covering that most costumes she wears… and shows off less of her curves than Black Widow’s gear.

Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor treat each other as equals and Steve even respectfully moves to sleep away from Diana until she says its okay for him to sleep next to her.

Black Widow allows Iron Man to grind her at a party while he is drunk.

Diana does not do a big gearing up scene. In fact she wears her armor the entire time and merely removes her coat or her dress to reveal it. The biggest moment is her putting on her tiara/headpiece. It is done tastefully and respectfully.

Black Widow strips naked in the back of Tony’s car. Happy stares at her and almost causes an accident and we get ‘see boys, boobs in a bra!’ shots followed by her sticking her bare leg up as she peels out of her outfit.

Wonder Woman charges into battle, the only slow-mo being her blocking bullets before we go into normal speed, her dodging and reflecting blasts as she moves in to attack, rivaling Batman’s great Arkham-style fight scene from BvS

Black Widow… slides on the floor and has Scarlett Johansson do a grand total of SIX ‘Stop, stare at the camera while crouching/walking’ glamour shots. Oh, and each shot is framed so her boobs are almost dead-center on the screen.

…I also doubt very much Wonder Woman will equate ‘Not being able to have a baby’ with ‘Murdering thousands of people’ and claiming that being sterile makes her ‘a monster’.

I bring this up because I want to make this clear: Wonder Woman is the film everyone, not just women, deserve. Finally we get a strong, powerful, capable woman who is treated not just as part of the team or even as an equal but the STRONGER and MORE CAPABLE hero… and her companions are okay with this. They are fine. They accept it. They accept her. It is a breath of fresh air and I hope Marvel takes notice. I hope whoever is doing Captain Marvel (the Marvel hero… not the one that shouts Shazam) takes their script and, if it isn’t on par with Wonder Woman, tears it to pieces and starts again. This film needs to be a benchmark not just for female superheroes but for ALL HEROES on how to treat your characters, their interactions with others, and handle love, compassion, honor, heroics, and respect.

The Dark Knight commented on the heroes we deserve but don’t need and the heroes we need but don’t deserve. Add a new category: The hero we deserve… and the hero we need.

Will post soon my thoughts on where the series can go next.

• Like Like x 5
  17. unexistance

unexistance MP Gen-0 Collecting Officer

shared on facebook :p 

18. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Because someone already Pmed me to ask... yes, "If Mr. Chaos Wrote 'Transformers: The Last Knight'" will be coming soon. Most likely next week, after I see the movie. But from what I've read there is plenty to work with... it just needs some cleaning up. Condense some things, focus more on the robots, that sort of thing. Just for a taste, some things I do plan to alter:

1) More Dinobots (and connect them to the Knights)

2) Eliminate the little girl and Squeeks.

3) Rework the Unicron plot/eliminate it

4) Better tie in Merlin

5) Megatron the Anti-Hero

• Like Like x 2
  19. bigfootRULES

bigfootRULES Well-Known Member

are you going to include the Primus/Unicron thing?

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Or more Bumble Norris?

• Like Like x 1