Heart of Steel #4 -=Minor spoilers!=-

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hook, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Just got back from the Comic book shop with HoS #4...

Haven't read it yet, but here are a few high points:

-Guido is back!
    -Prime or Megs don't seem to be there... Perhaps in the next Evolution installment?
    -The 4-page preview at the end is from the the upcoming TFTM comic book adaptation. Looks VERY promising!

That's it. I'll read it when I get home tonight.

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I felt the ending was kind of weak. I mean come on thats how you get rid of a decepticon army? WEAK! other then that, it was a damn fine mini. the preview was damn amazing.

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, wtf? That's it?! They fall down go boom?

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Scourge Zeppelin FTW!

5. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Okay, so the series is over. First, comments on this issue #4, then the series as a whole.

Issue #4 was a good read.... up until the end. It recaptured some of the essence that made the first two issues entertaining and Guido does a fine job again (though there are some obviously rushed panels). But did it have to end so abruptly? I expected the train chase, which was done rather well, but things literally came to a screeching halt after that. What happened to Starscream? And the Autobots just lamely go into hibernation again while the humans get together for a group hug? I don't think I have been as surprised to see "The End" at the end of a comic in a long time. Even just two more pages of closure would have sufficed to give this sucker a better ending. Don't know if Dixon meant to end it like this, or he was confined to the page limit, but certainly there is glaring weakness to how this all ends. I give this issue a "C-".

Now the series overall. Putting it all together, this tale is a cartoon-lovers cup of tea. Cheesy and campy, but fun if you approach it with the kid gloves on. Loved the art, save that third issue, and even then the coloring was excellent. Storywise, aside from the abrupt ending, its about as good a story one could come up with given the premise and characters. I mean, when Mark Twain and John Henry are the role players, as a writer you're working uphill from the get-go. I can't help feel though, that had we not had the pencilling and coloring we had, fans like myself would have enjoyed all this much less so.

Overall, this series gets a "C+" from me. Clever at times with very good artwork, but suffering a bit in the story department. Is it worth the buy? If you liked most cartoon episodes, I say go for it. If the cartoon was too campy for your taste, I'd say pass.

6. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

The ending was lame. And we never got to see the Seekers fly in their funky alt modes? Lamer. No Ops or Megs was fine, they're overinvolved in TF storylines anyway. Throwing Gears (my first ever toy TF) in was kinda cool, even though he had no lines. And Scourge as a blimp was an interesting choice. I liked it overall, but the series could have been stretched to six issues and given a little more story to shine.

The preview for the movie adaptation looks great, but I hope it just doesn't borrow every single line from the movie. A little expanding of the story wouldn't hurt too much, IMHO.

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i already knew it wold kinda end sucky...seeing that end of Issue #3, nothing really happened (actually Issues 1-3 nothing really happened). Hopefully the next Mini would be longer and faster paced.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    This proves to me that the mini series need to be longer 5 or 6 issues

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Are there going to be more Hearts of Steel stories?

The ending to this was horrible. Astrotrain should have just transformed when he fell off the cliff "tracks? I don't need no stinkin' tracks, I'm an f'n Astrotrain"

weak.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree the ending was very weak. You can't just run an army of Decepticons off a cliff. Art was cool though.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I fully expected him to have transformed into flight mode and at least ATTEMPT to tow the boxcars up to the top of the cliff on the next page. Except there WAS no next page, only an epilogue, really. Bummer.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

AND THEN THE CONS FELL IN TO A HOLE AND EVERYONE WAS HAPPY.

What a crock :mad 

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah it was kind of a crappy end. Other than that I liked the series..

The Next series should be in the early 1900's. Have little model Ts and such.

14. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Apparently, he's just plain f'n Train.

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I felt a little bit of a let down after reading this. A giant hole defeats the decepticons? No wonder Starscream wasn't put in charge before.

16. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

This should have been a five part mini, not a four parter. This was such a rushed ending.

17. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

TRAIN FALLS, EVERYBODY DIES.

(Or goes to sleep. In a cave. Just BECAUSE.)

Weak, weak, weak. And no cannon Megs, to boot.

I still love the character designs, but this series needed more story, BADLY. I wouldn't have minded another issue for further development (and Megs).

-XCN-

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    WTF kind of ending is this?!!!

19. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I don't think stretching things out for another two issues would've helped, personally. Dixon was writing a world in which TFs can reconfigure their alt-modes without any effort but needed coal or an electricity plant to move, and had to configure to modes that could run on tracks... cartoon logic; cartoon story.

Anyhow, issue hasn't turned up in the post yet, but I found scans.

Could've maybe done with an extra page to fit the rhythm -- I wanted to see the train get thoroughly and convincingly buried -- which would easily have been achieved by culling earlier bits. The Transformers felt more like side characters in this issue than in any previous one.

That said -- I enjoyed this, against expectation and especially against expectation after reading reviews here and elsewhere.

The problem, I think, is that this isn't a Transformers story -- it's a story with Transformers in it. On the other hand it's accessible to any reader, light in tone, looks good and I'm not regretting taking the time to get and read it. The closing narration made me grin, as did John Henry pointing out that he knew the track having laid it.

Still don't have any particular enthusiasm for Transformers-in-different-periods-of-history stories, though. I consider this series to have worked, above criticisms aside, but I'd prefer some slightly more ambitious modern/futuristic "What if?" scenarios rather than an eking out of human eras that could have vehicles in.

And a note for whoever does the next one: don't ask us to believe that Transformers can deactivate due to low energy reserves, come back online thousands of years later and then morph their entire designs in a trice. It's a sloppy shortcut for them to be able to morph at all; mechanical transformation, please.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was like, 2 issues of story stretched over 4 issues of book with the wrong side getting the cliffhanger fall.

And Astrotrain had frigging wings on his sides! And he's Astrotrain!!

Potential wasted. :(