Heads up! Ultimate Avengers the Movie Airs on Cartoon Network Tonight!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gears, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heads up! Ultimate Avengers the Movie airs on Cartoon Network tonight! I saw it on my channel guide airing at 9:30 P.M. PT. Didn't catch it on DVD so should make for interesting viewing.:thumb 

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

at least it's not a live action movie this week.

But I picked u pAlt Avengers last week when Best Buy had it for 9.99.

3. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

I ask one question, is there an unrated version of this or just one version. Been curious is all.

Just wish I had the full first Ultimates series to follow tos ee whats intact. (only got the first 2 issues of the first series)

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

There's only one version as far as I know. The movie combines a lot of the first two stories from Ultimates. However it also changes a fair bit as well.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The two have very different vibes to them. With the comic it’s a slow build to the big throw down at the end with loads of side stories and had the feeling that the team might not even be needed. The movie rams though the main plot line with little expansion of who the aliens are and what they want giving it more of a feeling of urgency to it.

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well I thought it was cool. Awseome animation.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Preface by saying (a) I haven't read the comics and (b) I don't know if they cut anything for the TV broadcast. General comments, good mixed in with bad:

- Very nice animation, save for one part where Giant Man's waist looked really, really long (no, he wasn't size-shifting either). Quite impressed with the look of the show.
    - So...what was the point of the aliens? As far as I saw, we learned nothing else about them other than (a) they're on Earth and (b) they're causing trouble for some reason. Now, I know "But that's something they'll deal with in the sequel that's due out!" OK, fine, let's assume that the aliens will be a major threat later. This film had no foreshadowing or anything to indicate that the aliens served/will serve any other purpose besides "well, we need someone for the Avengers to fight for awhile".
    - I liked the first hour a lot. The introductions on the characters were handled fairly well and the pacing was good.
    - The last half hour was a wreck. WAY too much stuff going on, characters randomly showing up out of nowhere with explanation why they changed their minds (Giant Man, Thor) and it just felt rushed. This part should have been at least twice the length it was. As is, the aliens come across as pathetic, given how easy they were defeated, and the Hulk fight was a bit random.
    - Two points about the Hulk - First, he's clearly damn near invulnerable, but they just happened to have a needle around that could pierce his skin? Secondly, it seems odd that Dr Ross didn't have any idea how to stop the Hulk until Cap suggested the medication. Obviously, Shield took Hulk down once before, so it's not like that should be a huge mystery.
    - "I work alone". Couple of scenes later, Iron Man mysteriously decides to come to the big meeting. Why did he change his mind?
    - Some of the dialogue was a bit stilted and cliched.

Overall - Meh. I'm definitely glad I didn't buy the DVD like I was considering. The DCAU doesn't have to worry about any major competition from Marvel in the near future. Hopefully the MAU will improve with future projects.

8. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:

In short the aliens are the Ultimate version of the Skrull.

As with anything based on a book/ comic they have to trim out a lot to make it fit into the time constraints. I recommend checking out the trade paperbacks (even though I like New Avengers more).

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Way too much was lost in translation for my tastes.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm surprised they showed it so soon after it came out on DVD.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Eh. It was okay. Nice animation and character intros. Guess it just can't hold a candle to the Ultimates or New Avengers.

12. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

It wasn't bad; although I was hoping for JLU. I have a question though. They made it sound like the Hulk would actually kill people. Where they just mistaken or is that something he did in that comic?

I haven't read any hulk, but in the Bill Bixby series, it was always clear the Hulk wouldn't kill anyone.

On another subject, what made the Hulk loose control? I guess the better question was what made Banner loose control of the Hulk? It just seemed to happen. One minute he was fine, the next he was uncontrolable again.

13. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Hulk is crazy nuts-o in the comic. Not only is he down with killing people but he’s got no problems eating them to. There is one line that even suggests he might do even nastier thing… Or I misinterpreted it… I hope that’s the case.

I assume the super soldier serum didn’t last.

14. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Cartoon Network tends to show a lot of stuff that's recently released on DVD ... IF it happens to be stuff they're associated with.

The most obvious examples are the direct-to-DVD Scooby Doo movies. They tend to show up on Cartoon Network right beforehand.

However, seeing as Time-Warner own both Cartoon Network AND DC Comics, this is kind of bizarre. I wonder what the deal is.

-XCN-

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Nice package!

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    eh? i'nt that the old 80s cap tv movie?

omg i just remebered the 80s spidey tv series. yoicks.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Banner lost control as the Hulk because he got to angry and worked up. He got so filled with rage that the Hulk took over.

Also, as with many opening movies, things have to be rushed to fit together, especially in the team. I fully expect the second movie to be much better.

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Heh. I saw an ep or two of that somehow. The one where Spidey was cloned ironically.

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Save your money! Save some time! Then, use that extra time to read the Ultimates series instead of watching this crap masquerading as the Ultimates.

20. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

The other bizarre one was the month of Miyazaki. Disney has the U.S. rights to all of the movies they showed. They even showed them on the Disney Channel at some point last year. So how did CN get them? It's strange, but not bad. Not as bad as Saved by the Bell, at least.