heads up ... KO G1 Cyclonus on eBay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by e3nine, May 2, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
  2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up d00d.
    So what are the tell tale signs for this one?

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    :) 

1. make sure to look for those Chinese characters in the upper left hand corner.
    [​IMG]
    sellers became aware that these were tell-tale signs of a KO and actually remove them before posting. These NEVER come off clean and leave a nasty residue.

2. look under the tech spec and note the black bar running though the white text
    [​IMG]
    On a real G1, that white text would run almost the length of the specs.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Terrific heads up for in-box collectors. These pop up every once in a while and it's very important to keep reminding people of their origins.

Is Cyclonus in that big "how to tell the difference between KOs and originals" thread? If not, he should be.

Thanks, e3!

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    :) 

I remember reading an article years ago about how these things fell apart too. Someone acquired it and the arm snapped right off.

While we're on the topic, note the chinese sticker again.
    [​IMG]
    This figure, along with Decepticon Rukus, are one of the older KO's. These guys have been around for a while.

A dishonest seller tried to remove the sticker ...
    [​IMG]
    and it looks like garbage. When these things get on there, they're almost fused to the backing board.

and again, look at the white text under the specs, that should go from corner to corner, but stops short due to the black bar.
    [​IMG]

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Im sorry to mess up an explosive thread here but I gotta ask, are most all white letters on a true g1 tech spec go to corner to corner or too hard to say all?

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    this is a pretty crappy example ... but

[​IMG]

note how the white text extends the length of the techspec?

it's like this on every G1 carded figure I've seen (not a definitive answer though)

8. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

9. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

omg, i just went to check out my backstreet that i got 5+ years ago and it has the same sticker and shorten trademark white text. :( 

im almost compelled to open it now that its worthless, how can u tell whether the figure from these fake carded/boxed are fake as well? same with the unused sticker sheets that come with them?

ive said this before, how hard can it be to bust down an entire factory producing bootleg items? cds and movies are different, u can create them at home, but these type of items can only be produced in factories and dont ppl need permits for these things? it makes me really angry and frustrated as a hobbiest to see this kind of thing happening more and more!!!!!!!!

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    That'Cyclonus is either a Chinese re-issue printed in English with the G1 1986 style box, vintage printed in English or a KO. Either way, it's unconformed until someone has better proof.

11. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=5207

sure anything is possible, and for anyone wanting this ... just know the risks before you purchase.

12. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say worthless ... it's just that these MOSC Backstreets never stop appearing on eBay. I'm also not saying that it's a fake, it could be ... couldn't be, who knows? It's just that the frequency of a US MOSC Backstreet vs a Chinese one is little to none. The only ones I see are the stickered up ones.

I have a KO'ed Seaspray & Rukus. You can just feel it on the cardboard. It's made of a cheaper paper composite, so it warps in very strange patterns. I've never seen a vintage do that.

My vintage Constructicons are a bit warped, but not like the the 2 mentioned above.

13. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Oh, Ironhide is a very popular dupe too.
    [​IMG]

Before Ironhide, it was Smokescreen ... but those seem to have dried up long long ago.

14. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    theres a AFA 80 hongkong special soundwave on ebay right now. its commonly called the euro soundwave, but was never released in europe. is it a KO, i dont know, but i owned a minty one and the box had a different texture to it, and the box was cut wrong also. but i never opened it up to check the quality.

15. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Edit--nevermind. :)  I have to really rethink this whole knockoff thing.

16. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the soundwave i had all copyright info(where and year it was made etc.) on it. and i'm with might gaine here on this as well. i have heard too many conflicting opinions on this, that i'm going to go ahead a dub this as real. theres a difference between this and the reissued tapes/swoop(some others). if this was a ko, then wouldnt you think it'd be all over ebay along with ironhide and all others that had the chinese sticker on it.

but truthfully, i have no idea. i just think its real.

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah my post was basically "it's probably real!!" and then i thought about it some more and it made my brain hurt, so then I killed my post :p 

18. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These toys with Chinese stickers are NOT bootlegs

They are from the late 80's, early 90's and were mainly shipped out to Europe

I regularly find them in vintage collections and I even have a couple from my childhood stuff

There are other changes like the "ages X and up" were changed for different laws

True, certain characters just show up more than others but overstock from all toy lines from the 80's exists

Hitch

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't know where the "It's a knockoff!" thing originated from. Maybe Fred's site, which (as much as I respect Fred) I gotta say doesn't really do a good job explaining which 90's Chinese toys are knockoffs, which aren't, and why he thinks some of the 90's Chinese releases are knockoffs to begin with.

20. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

exactly!

look at mexican transformers, the colors are different, some of the materials are different and those have never been branded "knockoff". i think official chinese transformers are more prone to "knock-off" labeling just because they are from china.

edit in- in response to cheaper packaging and product materials, the annual income in china is very very low. i think if the chinese tfs were as nice as US ones nobody would be able to afford it. i think the best way to compare a legit china release is with other chinese transformers, not US ones. china salaries:
    http://www.worldsalaries.org/china.shtml

here is the article i was looking for, sheds some light on "official" transformer releases in china. i was in beijing and shanghai in '98, 2 years after fracus, and remember seeing many g1 tfs at department stores, unfortunately i didn't collect back then.
    http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vchina2.html