Headrobot's 'Old Snake' Headmaster

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Predacon, May 31, 2010.

1. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

Today I received my Headrobot's 'Old Snake' repaint of the Cobra Headmaster. This toy was released as a HighEndTFs Toy Store exclusive.

For those who don't know, this is actually a G.I. Joe tribute as much as it is Transformers. It was inspired by Cobra Commander's cameo in the G1 cartoon episode 'Only Human' and possibly also inspired by the several Transformers/GI Joe comic crossovers.

As you can read by the card bio bellow, 'Old Snake' is actually Cobra Commander himself. Using a reverse form of Synthoid technology, Cobra Commander is now able to transfer his mind the to Cobra Headmaster and use it to take over Cybertronian transtectors to use against Transformers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the idea was pretty nifty so I decided to get one myself.

Although the toy is an awesome looking repaint, its overall quality is somewhat lacking, specially when compared to the original 'green' release. However the quality is by no means terrible and it is still a very solid figure with only a few 'mold' defects on it's surface.

As you can see by the pictures above and bellow, this version comes with a dual canon weapon which was absent from the original release. The weapon adds some good play value as it has a peg hole in which you can plug a Headmaster's weapon onto it for a combined gun mode. I thought this feature was pretty awesome but sadly it has a critical defect as the peg hole on it is too wide to hold the combined weapon securely but otherwise its a perfect fit for the transterctor's fist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall is a very nifty little figure and despite the mold defects this is definitely my favorite version of this mold by far. It's a a very nicely done dual tribute and a pretty kick ass color scheme.

If you only want to get one version of this mold, this is certainly it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    I had the same quality issues and it seems like it was a bit rushed as I got some white spots on the tank tracks on the inside. It is not noticeable unless you have it upside down and I am going to try to fill it later on with a gundam marker.

The gun is a very nice addition and it would have been great if you could have made a Targetmaster out of the figure somehow with the gun.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

One quick caveat - the box says 'WITH SWIVEL HEAD ACTION,' but that is simply untrue. You can't turn the head.

Still a cool toy though! I have him embedded in Weirdwolf's body.

4. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I hadn't seen any yet, so I was beginning to think no one had taken their Snake out of its packaging :p 

The "swivel head action" is refering to his ability to swivel his head up and down (as opposed to left and right), which he is able to do. It was just inteded as a joke, riffing on the "with ____ action" type things that usually go there on G.I. Joe packaging.

I'm glad that overall you guys like these. If this is Predacon's favorite version of the toy, any quality issues can't be too bad. :) 

But anyway, I think I should address the comments about the quality. To start off, these were not rushed. In fact, I held off releasing them for two weeks, because I wasn't satisfied with the way the cardback came out initially and I wasn't happy with the packaging job the factory did for the clamshells. I waited for the corrected cardbacks and mint clamshells to come in before I released these toys.

The white marks on the inside of the tank treads are where the pieces were cut from the plastic sprue. They are present on all versions of the Head Robots Cobra, so it's not a defect. (I double-checked this on all the versions I own.)

As for the mold defects, I'm not really sure what's being described, since the Snakes I kept for myself don't have any mold problems. I've compared them closely to the very first use of the Cobra mold (the grey version) and all the details and surfaces look identical.

Maybe you guys are refering to the points where it was cut from the sprue (like with the treads)? These points are more noticible on Snake than they are on Cobra, but I believe it's just because of the color of plastic used (these points show up white-ish against the blue plastic). I don't think it can really be helped, but I think you guys will agree that it's really not super noticible anyway.

Oh, and if anyone has not gotten theirs yet, there are still some available at my store:
    http://www.highendtfs.com/store/

5. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have NO issues with my Snake's quality. It's better than Cobra's (whose tank tread popped off yesterday, but it's nothing a dab of glue won't fix).

Snake rocks!

I hope these and Hothead are successes for the Headrobots guy(s), so they can go through with the iguana head and many others!

(And dammit, MG, now I'm eyeballing Brave Sorakage in your store.... :redface2: )

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Great pix man! I ned to ormder me this guy, I love the original Cobra head...such fun lttle G1 augmentation accessories!

7. forcefull1

forcefull1 Mini-Spy

I love this little guy. I picked up a beat up Snapdragon and repainted him to go with the cobra head.

[​IMG]

I've got a little touchup to do on the red, and he needs some reprolabels, but he's essentially done. I was a little worried the purple wouldn't work with the red and blue, but I think it looks fine, and should work even better with new stickers.

Speaking of purple, the only concern I have with the cobra (aside from the gun peg being a hair too small to fit in peg holes) is that there is a distinct purple hue to him. It doesn't show up well in photos, but it's there. In fact, the "blue" paint I used on Snapdragon to match to the cobra is actually a shade of purple!

Still, a great figure. Pick one up if you haven't already!

8. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Nice repaint. How's Snake work as a dino head?

9. forcefull1

forcefull1 Mini-Spy

I've never been a fan of Snappy's dino mode. I think cobra looks ok with it...

[​IMG]

10. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

UR DOIN IT WRONG :lol  lol

11. forcefull1

forcefull1 Mini-Spy

Ha! So I am! Like I said, not a fan of that mode. Probably haven't used it in 20 years. Last time I rely on memory to try a transformation...

12. Geminii

[​IMG]

13. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  14. Geminii

Not quite the view I was after. :)  But consider the point made.