Headrobots Megatoyfan Gyro Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by jimmynguyen41, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    Hi i got the kit a few days ago and finally had the time to open it and give it a quick review.

So you know you will get one if you preordered from megatoyfan.com like back in March of 2011, and get an email from Megatoyfans. Its funny I almost forgot about this kit. So i preordered and said what the heck right?

well it comes in a USPS priority box, and inside that its packed inside a sandwich ziploc bag.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Front of package says: MegaToyFan
    Headrobots Garage Kit GYRO Summer 2011 Megatoyfan Exclusive

The back says: Limited to 200 pieces only www.megatoyfan.com
    2010 Crystal Cobra
    2011 Gyro
    2012 ?

Inside the package you get these pieces

[​IMG]

8 pieces - > 2 pieces for the head, 2 fins, 2 small guns and 2 big guns. the quarter in the picture shows you size comparison
    also inside is the instructions which are pretty straight forward

[​IMG]

"Congratulations on your purchase of this rare kit. Keep in mind that unlike our other releases this is a garage kit and done in resin and created by hand. Because of the materials used in the base figure we have casted out the kit to be tighter and larger than normal. You will have to sand parts to ensure the proper fit for your figure."

Here is a pics with the attachements

[​IMG]

and the guns combine to form a bigger gun to be stored in alt mode. The 2 small pieces are shaped to interlock with the 2 big guns pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last pic of alt mode

[​IMG]

The gun parts have pegs that can be attached to the fist in alt mod or pegs on top of the wing in alt mode or can be attached to the extra fin on the side where there is a hole present.

Sorry i dont have pics of the head because i dont have a scalpel or sand paper to sand down the other parts to make fit, will update later

All in all the material is good on par with MAIDEN JAPAN Wreckgar add on set, Repro Parts, Although Venksta quality is better. but not high quality like a real Hardhead headrobot or any fansproject stuff.
    The blue on the fin is not quite a perfect match to the blue on Whirl but in near darkness its hard to tell but in direct sun its pretty noticeable. But other than that its a good kit and a great addition to a classics or movie verse whirl/Gyro and not bad for $30

I hope this review somewhat helps someone out its my first and i will update with more pics later. thanks!

EDIT: with Video Review by Dr. Prime http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-video-reviews/420362-dr-prime-reviews-gyro-headrobots-headkit.html

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

Thanks for the review, can't wait to get mine!!!! Keep us updated on the head.

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wait. That's $30 for some tiny parts cast in really rough-looking resin?
    I've built many resin garage kits in the past, and this looks to be very poor quality craftsmanship compared to most. The texturing of the surfaces speaks tons for the lack of quality.
    I know people will defend it saying that it's a limited run, or that it's fan-made or whatever else it takes to smooth out the pain of paying too much, but step back and really look at the product and you can easily see it isn't worth it.

Honestly, I'm not intending to flame or slam the producers of this, but sometimes third-party products really aren't 'all that'.

4. VestigialHeart1

VestigialHeart1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ehhh....Headrobots shouldn't have bothered with this. I've got one on order and this really has me uneasy. I'm more upset by the fact that they NEVER said anything about it being a resin kit and needing sanding/modding to get a nice fit. I wouldn't be as pissed if there were a disclaimer.

5. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review! I had reviewed this like 2 weeks ago :confused: 

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure when the info went up, but as of mid-April at least, the product page on MegaToyFan's site gave this info.

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I have this kit as well, and I had always known it to be a resin garage kit. But honestly, I've done absolutely no sanding and it works just fine. There is one gun that fits very tightly in various ports but still fits. I think it looks great, to be honest. The actualy problems are with the mold itself.....

-the head had to be made small because it has to fit in such a small area, and because of the shoulders and stuff on the mold the head gets kinda lost.

-other issues are the same problems that Blackout has really....the kit only improves it I think

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice review! Cant wait for mine to arrive.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Uh, I can verify with others, this was known to me as well that its a resin.

And btw, the kit is pretty cool.

10. CommandoNinja13

CommandoNinja13 Marvel vs Capcom!

this kit looks awesome need to get one

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I actually bought this to try to make a whirl out of a different helicopter. does anyone who has either dotm skyhammer or the hftd tomahawk think some of these parts would fit onto either one of those molds?

12. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I appreciate the review. The disclaimer about it being a garage resin kit was clearly posted the first night we put them up for pre order. The fact that the parts might have to be sanded was also disclosed. I have heard from many that no sanding had to be done but it's your choice. The only problem I saw was that if you did not hold the two halves of the head together when putting the screw on you would get a gap. So to those who purchased be careful and remember that. This kit was brought to us from Head Robots as I was told they were not going to release it. Something due to popularity. I figured this was a good way for those who purchased the two pack and wanted both kits (blood, due out any time now) So it was a win win for us. We wanted to do something unique not another repaint. This was perfect. Thanks to a few members here, the word got out and we sold out within 14 hours. We were able to get another tun of 100 so 200 total. They also sold out the next weekend. We tried to get the information out to everyone who wanted one and we are sorry if anyone missed it. We are finishing up shipping and should have all pre orders shipped tonight.
    Oh and Chtiger.......those parts will NOT work with skyhammer or tomahawk but just wait.....

13. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  14. acave720

acave720 Well-Known Member

I got mine today. Did not sand mine fits great. Thanks Megamus and Headrobots

15. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Does anyone know if the Strongarm at TFCon will be a garage kit also? Or is that going to have the same quality as the Hardhead kit they previously released?

16. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No fair teasing!

I don't know for certain, but I have to think they'll be the same type of production as Hothead since the mold's already made.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

where do we get to preorder Blood deluxe upgrade kit? I only know of the voyager preorder

18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you took the text right from my fingers. Not to slam anyone either, but I was interested in this kit....Until I seen pics.

19. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    headrobots garage kit GYRO summer 2011 MEGATOYFAN Exclusive

Very interesting packaging...all the directions and explanation are achieved using a single sheet of pictures and very simplistic directions.

[​IMG]

It does explain due to it being made with Resin and it being a garage kit using the materials they did made some items being larger than normal...and that you will have to sand to make things fit....

:thumbs2:  And buddy You WILL have to sand LOL....:thumbs2: 

had to sand on the post of a hand weapon...the larger of the two and one of the sonic attachments..the one that fit the left leg...

All and all...worth the 40 bucks and shipping to get it here.

[​IMG]

I definitely recommend folks upgrade their ROTF whirl from a ROTF Tool autobot to a bad ass GYRO bot!

20. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a small gap in my head and I didn't want to screw the head in harder and strip the screw hole. What part do I need to sand to make it fit better.