Headmasters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jwarenec1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

So i just started to watch the headmasters series and have to ask is this a completley new story line from the original generation one series or are they cutting out the rebirth???

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cutting out rebirth I believe

3. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

It picks up one year after "Return of Optimus Prime, Part 2". The only other thing you need to know is that in Japanese continuity, season 3 of the US cartoon took place in 2010, not 2006. Thus, Headmasters takes place in 2011.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, it skips the Rebirth entirely. I don't think that The Rebirth ever aired in Japan.

5. DazzalingFury

DazzalingFury The COLLECTOR of Stuff

Yeh it kinda sucks how they cut out the original story from the Rebirth. I really really liked how that was going and would have watched another series for sure if it was along those lines and story background.

But as it turns out, they completely re-did the entire origin and creation of the Headmasters. And that totally annoyed the heck out of me. So i kinda delayed watching the rest of Headmasters. I will get around to finishing it soon though

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

It wasn't aired on TV but was eventually dubbed and released on laserdisk and (later) DVD. The Japanese dub of Rebirth is unique in that it mostly uses Western names and terminology instead of the Japanese ones ("Hot Rod" over "Hot Rodimus", "Kup" over "Cha", etc). This was likely done to distinguish it from Japanese continuity, but that's just a guess.

7. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    Yeah, Headmasters just ignores Rebirth and picks up after TROOP. It's interesting to note that, as you watch Headmasters, Takara appeared to really want to go in a different direction, hence the numerous deaths and plot twists of Headmasters, which I'll leave out so as not to spoil you. By the time you get to its two successors, Masterforce and Victory, the story is still connected to the old Seasons 1-3, but the saga is clearly going in new directions. So it's not an official restart of continuity, but it definitely is a new direction for the series, one that I think actually works. Love me some Takara Collection!

8. jwarenec1

Also I kind of don't like the Japanese comedy and outlandish actions of the robots but hey its better than nothing

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There was hardly any comedy/outlandish actions in Headmasters, actually. I found it very watchable and enjoyable.

10. jwarenec1

I mean there was a different feel to it...I never said it wasnt good just slightly different

11. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    The HM Eng. Dub series is very funny, As Twincast is Billy and Soundblaster is new Soundwave lol.... Ahhhhh those memories of the first time I watched them,

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I would have preferred Headmasters to have been shown in the U.S. instead of Rebirth being created but dubbed with the voices and music from Rebirth.

Whether its the Star TV dub or the Japanese original, I find the audio to be lacking in energy and personality. I can still enjoy watching Rebirth because the audio is actually entertaining and there are some fun lines... unlike in Headmasters where its pretty much generic lines. I enjoy subbed anime but I didn't enjoy Headmasters mainly because of the audio.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

What? Headmasters cuts out the "Rebirth" eps? Screw trying to watch that series then, if it doesn't follow through what had happened in "Rebirth."

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yeah it is different. You know that TFC is the first time Takara released Targetmaster Hot Rod and Kup? They were both (along with Blurr) written out of Headmasters before the Targetmasters were introduced. And that Optimus was only ressurected for like 2 episodes before they killed him off again, and brought Rodimus Prime back. But Takara's take on what Headmasters were (no nebulons) was a lot better.

15. Incesticon

Incesticon Beet Gugal

Wasn't Metroplex referred to as Phillip as well? And Blurr as Wally?

16. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I for one really like the Headmaster series. For one, more episodes with Galvatron and Rodimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. I liked how they used the characters from all the previous series into the ongoing war while still focusing on the new toys at the time. I liked the concept of the Headmasters being forge out of the need to survive the harsh climate of planet Master. Wheelie was tolerable in his episodes even getting into some battles with much more powerful Decepticons. Sixshot was handled very well. I love that series alot.

17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    ah Headmasters........
    Where to even start?
    Just take a look at my avatar. That's all I'm saying.
    If you haven't got to that part of the series yet, prepare yourself now!

Some people like Headmasters, I watched every episode and I felt like I completely wasted my time. I don't care what dub or subtitle version you watch, it's horrible. Worst TF series IMO.

18. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Dude everything was soooo scewed up I considered watching it with the sound off lol....

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yup. And Fort Max was Starship Bruce. :p 

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I love that one :D 

And don't forget Sixshot, the Decepticon's ninja consultant!!!