Headmasters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fiire_dragon_88, Oct 24, 2007.

1. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

I was just wondering about something I heard a couple of months ago about an Australian version of the Headmasters DVD box set coming out some time soon in region 4 I beleave.

My question is will it be better than the previously released UK Headmasters dvd, which the subdtitles are sometimes screwed up and it sometimes has trouble playing on my dvd player (even on my computer). If someone has baught this new version could they please give me a short review of it and/or telll me if it is indeed better than the other one I have.

2. Deemer

Deemer Well-Known Member

Not out yet. Released 7 November.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Headmasters? On DVD? I don't know if I should be thrilled...

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It has its moments. Weakest of the three Japanese TF shows, in fact it is probably my least favourite out of all the TF series. It has a plot that is hard to follow, some ridiculous scenes (Doublespy forgetting which mode works best for sneaking around the Decepticon base, Galvatron's depiction of his planet form) and power ups that have no obvious benefit.

Worth seeing, though, for a couple of the battle sequences.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I've started watching Headmasters and it's boooring. Daniel and Wheelie here are 5 times more annoying than in the regular series (honestly I don't see why people hate Dan-o and Wheelie in US G1 that much, they're bearable).

6. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's all a matter of opinion. i found headmasters more tolerable and watchable than Victory.

stick with it. Daniel and Wheelie do get better as the season goes on. Wheellie doesn't speak in rhyme any more (which is a plus) and Daniel... Well

For headmasters he is the token human character. He does it differently to those from later series though as he has some very good character development and it could be argued that one of the more interesting plot lines is Daniel's maturing. (At the start he cries when something is asked of him but by the end he gets on with it)

7. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Hey, you almost forgot my favorite: UNCLE SIXSHOT!!! :banghead: 

Galvatron survives an entire planet blowing up(Cybertron) but those lame Icebergs, they're a killer!!! Darn you, Autobots!!! :banghead: 

UGH! My mind is aching just from thinking about that series again! :banghead: 

8. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    You forgot: BILLY!!! :lol 

No, it isn't. You must be one of very few people with that opinion. Victory at least has humor, cliffhangers, and builds to a explosive ending.

Headmasters only sucks and is inconsistant the whole freaking time. Even the end is totall rubish.

Another totall inconsistency. Daniel was maturing in season 3 of the USA show. Headmasters is supposed to be starting from the end of season 3. Now al of a sudden he's a big fat baby again????

I recommend people to stick with headmasters to cure their insomnia

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In Storm's defence, I can see why he would prefer Headmasters over Victory. Victory is not perfect either, and the Decepticons are not the most threatening bunch of villains ever in that show. Plus the cast of Victory is totally unfamiliar to the majority of viewers, while Headmasters does have the advantage of letting you see the 1987 toys in animation.

Basically, both series have their ups and downs, and which one anyone prefers is a matter of their own opinion, independant of what anybody else thinks.

And yeah, iron maniac has a good point about the two worst inconsistencies in the series - Sixshot's change of heart really comes out of nowhere, and Galvatron's poorly-executed death sequence. If he was going to die like that, they should have just left him dead after the battle on Cybertron.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I tried watching Headmasters.
    After I saw Wheelie and Daniel defeat Trypticon, I thought WTF?
    Then I heard names like Billy and Wally for Autobots, then it started moving to, wow, this is bad.
    Then I saw Revolt on Planet Pistoll and said enough was enough.

I despise Headmasters, more accurately, I despise the StarTV dub and most of the characters.

I liked it more than Zone though. I had no idea what the hell was going on or who anyone was even with subtitles. Is that Devastator, doesnt look like him. Oh, thats Abominus? I thought he was some new combiner?
    Seriously, I saw the Destron Generals and recognised none of them. It said that one of them did something in subtitles, I had no idea if he was Gold warrior #1, #2 or #3?

After about 10 minutes I gave up. Power-up style armor FTL.

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This is a little of topic. I've heard an english dub with those crazy names, but what caught my attention is the voice of Rodimus. The guy that gave Rody his voice sounds remarkably the same as the one dubbing Jackie Chan in his movies. It's the same voice as Jackie in "Armor of God" and "Project A". I'm talking about the first dub from the 80s. I still have these on VHS.

12. Yigal

Ebay:
    I realy second you on that one.

It's no wonder that there was no follow-up on the first episode. Characters like Predaking, Devastator, Overlord, King Poseidonm etc who were not looking, nor acting like themselfes. Suddenly Victory Saber almost dies and gives away his leadership to someone completely unknown. Why???

Zone is just crap!

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    WIsh zone would of been more than 1 episode

14. Yigal

Ebay:
    If they worked out the old charactaristics more insted of making them worthless slaves with capes and bad anime, it could have been a big hit.

But unfortunatly they didn't.

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as the Headmasters vs Victory argument is concerned, I'd rank Headmasters above Victory, too. I've heard HM called a "guilty pleasure," and that's a description I totally agree with - it is weighed down with a heck of a lot of "stupid," but at the same time, it's got writing handled competantly enough to juggle a lot of running sub-plots and have an overall direction and story, with at least a few characters distinguishing themselves, characterization-wise. It has a major advantage, though, in simply being a direct continuation of G1 - there is real enjoyment to be hand in seeing the "continued adventures" of the old cast, and to see other toys properly get their due in animated form.

In contrast, Victory is the most stunningly dull thing ever, with absolutely no sense of continuing story, or even any real IMAGINATION, using as it does exactly the same unrelentingly dull plot in nearly every single episode in the first half of the series - "Decepticons attack place, Autobots arrive and they fight. Maybe a new combiner is introduced." The second half improves with some much-needed changes of scenery and a bit of imagination finally going into the threats-de-jour, and I will certainly not deny that it's final two or three episodes are *great* (Star Saber vs Dezaras in the final episode is easily one of the top 3 TF fights of all time), but there is so little substance anywhere else in the series. The Autobots are all absolutely interchangeable with one another - not one member of the Brainmasters or the Multiforce ever shows any hint of personality, or does anything that couldn't be done by any other character (the most you can ever say is "Um, well, Wingwaver and Blacker didn't really get on very well in one episode."), and the Decepticons are absoulte *jokes.* They're the only ones to get any kind of real characterization, yes, and their FUNNY, certainly - I got genuine laughs out of the Dinoforce, and really enjoyed Hellbat - but... these are supposed to be the *villains.* I like them, but there's never any credible threat. And the premature lionization of Star Saber - who were are simply *expected* to respect, love and be awed by, just *because* - grates like the bejeezus. I just cannot even BEGIN to understand how this wound up being lauded as the best Japanese G1 series.