Headmasters: They kinda suck

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I like 'em!!!

Thanx
    Transbot90210

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Loved them when I got some back as a kid (currently cleaning ten years of crud off my poor old Fort Max), and after picking up a few complete ones from a car boot sale last year my love of Headmasters has been renewed.

Definitely Hasbro need to do more Headmasters. And more heads. I'd like a new line of Headmasters and then we can also buy packs of extra partner heads like those Bakugan things to collect and mix and match on the Headmaster bodies. The Transformers line is missing out on the whole collecting and swapping thing many other big toy brands have got going right now.

3. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    i like em, the rebirth episodes were ace

4. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i loved snapdragon's headmaster as a kid, plus he was sharp enough to deliver a nasty bite to unsuspecting sisters.

on reflection they suck, but at the time they were cool.

5. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

powercore combiners.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Maybe, but will it be? Even when TF was swamped with Micromasters and energon weapons I didn't see much evidence of the collector/swapping craze things like Pokemon and those little rubber creature things had. Sure there'll be some degree of mixing and matching within the line but I doubt it'll tip into the kind of thing I'd like to see TF properly dip its toe into. Just look at the Energon line with the non-Minicon Powerlinxing stuff. Most of the time all I read about the combining aspect of the Autobots was it hindered the figures because of the gimmick, and it was too limited to be something cheap(ish) kids could buy with pocket money and be happy to swap with friends.
    It's a pity Minicons (and Legends) never came with trading cards which could be used in a CCG with packs of other cards so kids could buy figures to personalise their game or trade. This is the kind of thing I'd like with a new version of Headmasters (or any other kind of Masters partners): buy a pack and inside is a mini partner that can be used with larger figures and a trading/gaming card.
    I dunno... maybe trading Minicons would've been easier if they'd been sold individually instead of in packs of two or three.

Hopefully Powercore Combiners will go some way to the mix and match I'm hoping for the figures but really I'd like to see it taken further so kids can still be involved in Transformers maybe without having to take the figures anywhere with them. Interconnectivity is cool and all that, but with just a little extra nudge it could go further and maybe even become a staple of TF which can continue across future lines, even the movie stuff. Certainly it's always nice to find a Minicon port on a figure which isn't from a Minicon line, and the standard peg hole size is really great for using weapons across various series so I can plug a Targetmaster gun in the hole on my ROTF Stratosphere.

7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I love all the Masters, brainmasters, godmasters, headmasters. The US concept sucks, I like the Japanese concept. That smaller bots use their vehicles to become larger Bots. As a kid I hated the thought that there were organic beings in the heads. 2 seperate beings didn't work for me, what did the vehicle do just sit in a garage when they needed to get something done. Naaah. When the Micromasters came out and they toyed with the idea they were small to conserve energy, I threw the headmasters into that group. Thats why I could only tell you the names of maybe 2-3 heads. To me Weirdwolf's head is weirdwolf, in small energy conservation bot mode.

8. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I think if any new Headmaster figures were made they must also have an in-built head (designed differently from the partner head) so the figure still has a head if the partner head is lost. Also it would mean the little head figure is then an actual partner to the larger body in a more meaningful way. Then when a mission gets too hot and some extra Headmaster skill is needed they combine.
    As much as I loved the tech specs reels in the old Headmaster's chests, not having those could've allowed for an extra built-in head to fold away in the chest instead. It's certainly useful for Sideways to have a head for his body even if his Minicon partners were off doing something else.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That is how I played with them as a kid. The cartoon wasn't around so I did not know the backstory of them and I imagined it that way. When I saw the cartoon, I found that it sucked, that they were actually Nebulans.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    It's a pity really that the Nebulans couldn't have just been another, albeit smaller, robotic species. It's not like the third season of the cartoon wasn't already chock full of other shapechanging robot species. Of course then there'd have to be an exception for Spike and Daniel to become Headmasters. And fully robotic partners would've been affected by the plasma energy. But then that's only a little story point which could've been easily massaged to get around.

11. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the figures as a kid. I still have my original Scorponok, Mindwipe, Chromedome and Apeface figures still with all their heads and weapons :D  As has already been said, it was fantastic to actually have a figure to pilot the bots.

The Nebulan back story always bothered me and I always reasoned that they were subsumed in to the consciousness of the robot. Apeface in particular would only go in to bot mode if Spasma really asserted himself.

Still a great line though and I would love to see Classics versions.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Fixed:cool: 

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

See I liked that they had the tech reading. In the Japanese series it just meant that the headmasters could control any of the non sentient vehicles, and each one had abilities that differed from one another. The tech was the heads ability. I would love if they made classics/generations headmasters, but they should ditch the US idea of the Nebulans and make them straight transformers like in the Japanese series.

14. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

I thought the Headmasters back then were okay and I am still a fan of them, it's the pretenders I disliked, rather the human pretenders, lame.

15. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I was going to state my opinion and then explain it but...

Word for word, what Solrac said.

16. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The only one I was ever WTF about was Scorponok. As a kid, I never understood how the human head could turn into the head of an entire city robot. And yet, I still loved them. Brainstorm was always my favorite, followed by Hardhead.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Japanese concept for the Headmasters themselves is better, and you'd expect the cartoon to be cool because it's the last appearance of most of the pre-87 G1 cast, but it's actually a somewhat embarrassing show.

18. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hardhead was easily one of my top 5 figures from a kid. I don't understand the Nebulon hatred. They look like robots in the exosuit anyway.

I had Hardhead, Scorponok (getting him tattooed on my left arm), Weirdwolf and Skullcruncher as a kid. And hell, Grax (?) rode in Skullcrunchers mouth! So awesome.

Headmasters kickass. Fastforward twenty something years later I have Energon Scorp, TFCC Nightbeat, Botcon Weirdwolf and Universe Hardhead. All cool figs, but are missing the funnest part regardless! :) 

Edit: Here's some badassness from F_R http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/291835-headmaster-hardhead-2-2-a.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you know how during early g1 youd think, gee, itd be cool if these had pilots/drivers? then, boom! they gave us drivers...who fricking transformed in the vehicles robot head. booyah!

...oh you mean you werent around when g1 came out? aww.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    The Headmasters, Powermasters and Targetmasters might be one of my favorites from G1.