Headmasters: They kinda suck

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I mean think about it, a small, crappy figure which barely transforms as it probably wears the head as a backpack transforms into the head of a bigger transformer. What's the point? I mean why waste money on a figure for that when it could be used for more paint apps or accessories.

2. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Everything sucks if you think about it too much.

;) 

3. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Headmasters is what we call a gimmick. It would later return, upgraded as Mini-Cons...

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I think that's when I stopped liking Transformers. Yea I had a few of them and the Targetmasters, but I thought that's when TF's started going downhill. The toy's in my opinion just didn't look as good as the previous ones. Only one that might be worth having is Scorponick.
    As for the Targetmasters, I always thought Triggerhappy looked awesome.

5. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fortress Maximus would have words with you.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    if you don't like the headmasters don't buy them. Its just that simple

7. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I just think even as a gimmick Headmasters suck. Does a little figure with swivel arms that transforms easily really even fun for kids? I mean what if they lost the headmaster as kids tend to lose things, then there's no head for their figure

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have always LOVED Headmasters even though I don't own any right know but as a kid I did. I really liked the headmasters toon as well but then again I sometimes like werid things anyway that no one likes.

9. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the head transformation was a little better and it offered articulation then I think the gimmick would work much much better. I personally liked the idea of Targetmasters and minicons more to be honest though.

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I own three (Brainstorm, Mindwipe, and Skullcruncher) and I'd have to say that Brainstorm and Mindwipe are some of my favorite G1 Transformers; the gimmick doesn't hinder them, they have decent poseability compared to other G1 toys, and they're cool Transformers overall.

11. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I'd love for Hasbro to BRING BACK the Headmasters this yr if you ask me.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Whether or not the toys themselves are good is entirely up to how you feel about late-era G1. However, from a fictional perspective, it is a pretty goofy idea. Why would a Transformer need an organic to become its head? At least in Masterforce, they established that the bodies (Transtectors) are essentially lifeless husks which were meant to be made into real Transformers later, and the humans (Godmasters) were controlling them until that point. But in the Headmasters, it's a symbiotic relationship between 2 living creatures, that doesn't really benefit either.

13. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

same here... they could have more articulation and different transformations :p 

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Imagination went a long way in the 80s with Transformers. This especially applied to the later gimmicks. And I lost the headmasters to my Hardhead. He was still a fun toy afterwards.

Though I never liked the idea of humanoids becoming headmasters. I always imagined that the headmasters was still that same Transformer. Destroy the body and head transforms into an escape pod-type robot.

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Yes. Especially if said head figure can ride in said body's alt mode.

Also, yes, unfortunately. :( 

16. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind. They already did an awesome job of updating Targetmasters with Nightstick and Cyclonus for Universe. Surely they could improve on the concept with a modernized figure.

However, I'd only like it on a couple of figures, and not a whole line based on the gimmick.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

While the idea of headmasters sucked in the original series, I thought the few instances where they were used in Armada and later in Energon were okay.

In Armada, the two mini-cons Sideways came with; Crosswise and Rook, could activate the chest panel faction symbol switcher, one mini-con "headmaster" unit coresponding to a faction symbol ala like the powermaster units for Doubledealer. Except for Armada Sideways, even if you lost both mini-cons, he still had his "real" head by pulling up on the handlebars in robot mode.

In Energon, Omega Supreme's head was a true Headmaster, and the ineractivity with the two seperate halves was neat (the head in robot mode, which has decent articulation because of knees and ball-joint sholders, can fit into the "train" caboose crane cockpit or do a little transformation and fit into the battleship's conning tower to fill in that gap). If you lost the head, the neck can pop up to reveal a pair of eyes, and that's suppsoed to function as a back-up head, dispite it looking totally stupid compared to how big Omega actually is, but it beats having no head whatsoever.

I myself think Headmasters are pretty neat, as long as they aren't organics, or it's the original idea of smaller robots/humans in robot suits simply transforming into heads that could control larger bodies, I.E. Minerva the Autobot Headmaster Jr.

18. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    With all the hating ANY organic gets in Transformers, maybe the idea of having the organics be part of the robot would get people to stop complaining about Daniel...

19. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think headmasters and targetmasters are freakin awesome......

20. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I think this might be a bit overkill. I'd rather have a few good headmasters than a full line with it as it's central gimmick... I feel like we'd end up with more lackluster figures than anything else.