Headmasters/Targetmasters question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Golden Age, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

This may sound strange coming from a TF fan, but I never collected any of the headmasters or targetmasters. Can all head/target masters pilot their respective TF's in alt mode?

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

One word answer.

Yes, for Headmasters.

Targetmasters fit on the outside of the alt mode Transformer.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As stated, all the Headmaster's heads can fit in cockpits on their altmodes. The Targetmasters all had spots on the Alt Modes where the Targetmasters, in gun mode, could be mounted.
    The second series of Head and Targetmasters carried on this trend, with the exception of Hosehead. The second wave Autobot Headmasters, the Headmaster JRs, had chairs made from the exterior portions of their helmets, however unlike Siren and Nightbeat, Hosehead had no interior cockpit for his helmet chair to line. Instead, it simply mounted up on the back of the fire engine, since the cab portion became legs.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first time when I saw the Headmasters , I really liked that the Headmasters had the pilot/driver gimmick - something like the Diaclone drives. To bad, the Targetmasters didn't have such a feature.

5. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Don't feel too bad. I have a pretty large collection, a bulk of it G1 and I don't really have any of those either. I have no Headmasters at all (I'd like some, though) and a few Targetmasters without their Nebulan partners. Go figure...

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always really wanted to get some Headmasters and I've only managed to get some in the last few months. They're a pain to track down with their partners. But still, I've managed to get Chromedome, Skullcruncher, Mindwipe and Highbrow (although his headmaster is missing it's arms).

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

That sig pic of yours seems to say it all llamatron. In fact, it looks really appealing. I try to make restrictions for myself, mostly so I dont end up buying every Transformer on earth, but I feel inclined to investigate Headmasters more. How would people rate weirdwolf?

8. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dont got Weirdwolf, but I do got Brainstorm, Chromedome, Apeface, Highbrow, and Mindwipe all complete, out of em all, I would say my favorites would be Apeface and Highbrow. But all are awsome. Wish I was still gettin that Fort Max. :( 

9. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I have Weirdwolf and, although it's not my favorite, I like it alot. In the end, it all depends on your criteria for buying the toy. For me, the transformation is rather simple. That's a negative for me but you may like it. I like it because it is very well proportioned and good looking in both wolf and robot forms. Color scheme is OK, Dark yellow with deep dark blue with a touch of grey.

The one I like most is ...errr ... it's actually two of them. It's Dreadwing, which is a combination of Dreadwind and Darkwing. Each of them is a powermaster plane and they both combine to form a "super" plane. With matching color scheme, of course.

Later on in the series, Hasbro brought another gimmick to the targetmasters. Each targetmaster came with 2 transforming guns. Each gun can be used separately or combine to form a "BMF"-gun.

I am one of the few odd ones who actually loves head/target/power masters. The idea of a head or a gun or an engine becoming a robot was very appealing to me. When I first saw the TV ads, I thought to myself, "wow, that's 2 TF for the price of one". And I was hooked ever since.

I have many other head/target/power masters and love them all (with a particular sweet spot for a Japanese MIB Mindwipe with unapplied stickers). I'm actually trying to complete the *masters set. Most of their transformations are relatively simple compared to today's Transformers but the upside is that they all look good. In robot and alt mode. Be it cars, planes, animals, etc. they all look good. IMHO.

10. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

They do look good-but in a totally different way than the earlier toys. I guess around 1986 (post-movie), the toys became bright and chunky. It's a whole different sensibility but I am really starting to dig it.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'm not a G1 collector, and thus can practically count the number of G1 figures I've owned on one hand. It just so happens that one of those few G1 guys I owned was a loose complete Skullcruncher, and I even picked up a second, minty Grax for him later on (wasn't cheap, either).

I got Skullcruncher mostly on a whim - I had cash to burn, I wanted to try out a few G1 figures that would be worthwhile at vintage prices, I like beast modes and Decepticons, and I was roleplaying the guy in the RPG at Seibs. He also appeared to be the best in terms of a nice-looking, somewhat proportional bot and alt modes without a lot of excess junk.

Turns out that Skullcruncher was one of my favorite purchases of that time. He's incredibly articulated for a G1 figure, he looks incredible (minus the slightly garish colors) in either mode, and I loved all the Headmaster interactions like the cockpit in the jaws and the guages on his chest. Skullcruncher is one of a few figures I regret selling.

Had I continued, I might have picked up Weirdwolf next, but my recommendation is to pass on Mindwipe unless it's a good deal, despite his character and excellent color choices. The bat mode looks like crap and those stupid fist tabs are always breaking.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

no master beats hardhead.

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    get a hm jr hosehead or snapdragon or apeface

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am pretty proud of my Targetmaster collection. I got Snapdragon, Apeface, Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf, Mindwipe, Fangry, Squeezeplay, and Terri-Bull for Decepticons and Hardhead and Highbrow for Autobots. My brother has rest of Autobot Headmasters and Jr. HMs. I also have some Triggermasters like Misfire and Triggerhappy.. except I can't find Triggerhappy and its box anywhere. Same thing with Dreadwind it's missing as well. Oh well maybe I'll replace them one day through Ebay.

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, look at my screenname to see how much I like Weirdwolf. ;)  He's simple, weird, and cool. :) 

Personally, the Headmasters (and Targetmasters to a lesser degree) are a highlight of G1 for me. Neat little gimmick and most of the bots are pretty darn cool.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i wasnt too impressed with HMs as a kid - i didnt like thge post movie designs very much, but theyve grown on me since.

i like the autobot jr headmasters as a gang (i dont like the 1st 4 regular ones design, too square-ish), the original cons beast including the 3 changers.

still dont like TMs tho.

17. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I wish really really badly that they would add headmasters to the classics line, or at least bring back headmasters in a new incarnation in a different line.

18. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Headmasters were always my favorite sub-line. For a while, when I was doing some G1, all I was doing was HMs. I eventually opted to get out of G1 completely lest the completionist in me get the better of me. That being the case, I sold what I had. I would love to see new HMs though.

19. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I, too, am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Skullcruncher is better that Mindwipe yeah. I'll be honest my main reason for getting the Wipe was his character, but I also like the look of his robot mode. Bat mode is a little bit sucky, but the transformation is pretty good (except for the legs...).