Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ExtremeGz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    ExtremeGz here...

Just finished watching the whole G1 series on the Rhino sets...took me awhile. TF's were easier to watch as a kid....not sure why. But alas, I am done....and now I want to watch some of the other series. Got any suggestions.....Headmasters....Masterforce....Victory. Also, I live in the states and hear something about PAL versus NSTC and regions difficulties. Which series is really worth it? And I also hear that different companies put out each series...which ones are better?

Oh, and I tried watching Armada...didnt do anything for me.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I personally like Headmasters the most.

Especially the god awful dub.

DARN THAT SOUNDWAVE
    EEEEERRRRAAAAGH

3. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

Headmasters is ok. It's VERY inconsistent.

Masterforce is an acquired taste. It's a very different take on the TF Storyline but it's one of my personal favorites. It does feel a bit more like a regular mecha anime at times though so keep that in mind.

Victory is just fun. The villains are great, the heroes are fun. Again, it's very much more like the Brave series that followed it than like the American G1 series, but that's not exactly a strike against it. Give it a shot, you might just like it.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters is the worst but has the classic transformers in it.

Masterforce starts out slow but the last half is one of the best transformers stories, plus you get to see the pretenders and doubledealer in action.

Victory is ok.

Zone is a followup to victory so watch victory first.

5. HotRod705

HotRod705 New Member

Where can I get or watch the dub of these? I started to watch the awful Headmasters dub that a friend of mine had before, but I never finished it.

6. Black Sideswipe

Black Sideswipe TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, the first two responses surprised me. I think this third post is the most common opinion. Though, I personally thought Victory was a little more than okay.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Headmasters was pretty poorly paced, and suffered a lot from being a 20 minute commercial for all the new toys. Some episodes were little more than showing off the new toys and their story for an episode.

Masterforce I like. It's different to any other TF series, but not in a totally bad way. It handles the human element well, it also uses the later G1 characters like Quickswitch and Powermasters. Plus it gives us Overlord, arguably one of the coolest Decepticons of all time. Not to mention three dimensional, the Decepticon Masters in that series were more than just the bad guys, they were presented with emotions and redeeming features. The pure mechanical guys, not so much.

Victory was more back to basics, going for more flashy fight sequences, special attacks and the like. A lot lighter and more humourous too, I guess you could say it is like the Brave series or even a bit like Robots in Disguise, but in the case of the latter, with fewer jokes. Unfortunately none of the Decepticons are real credible threats, they sound dangerous when you read about them online, then you see them in action and they're jokes. Even Leozak. Worth watching for some of the action sequences, though, such as any fight sequence involving Liokaiser, the most dangerous Decepticon in the series, and even by the standards of other shows he'd still be dangerous. Real awesome character. Final arc involving the battle of the space fortress is worth seeing, really good battles.

Zone was phenomenally well animated, gorgeous detailing, retained the super robot style but the Decepticons seemed like more of a threat this time. A threat, but one that is easily blown apart.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I'd rank Victory below Headmasters myself.

Both suffer from some insanely lame characterization but Headmasters at least has the advantages of featuring classic characters and not feeling so bloody repetitive plot-wise (plus Scorponok is just so damned evil you love to hate him); the fights may feel repetitive, but the episode plots don't and there's generally a good feeling of an overall story arc going on.

Victory is definitely a show best enjoyed in very small doses. Watching the first half of the series in quick succession only serves to highlight how insanely unimaginative the episode plots are (to say nothing of the overbearingness of the Autobots); you'll only find out that practically all the episodes up until then are basically the same with some locations and dialogue changed around. There's quite a bit of material that'd have potential for developing over the series but it's never picked up on.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If you haven't seen it watch Beast Wars.

Of the Japanese series Masterforce is probably my favorite.

10. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    My opinion: SKIP HEADMASTERS.

Look at my avatar. It speaks volumes.

11. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly id probably put Masterforce just slightly above Victory as the best out of these three. and deffinitley put Headmasters at the bottom. But all in all these three series are done rather well in my opinion. i halfway enjoy the dub-tastic hong kong dubs as well.

12. Black Sideswipe

lol. I'm also probably biased against Headmasters, because it's probably the worst dub out of the three. I simply did not know what was going on a lot of the time (wtf happened to the Throttlebots?). I'm also not a big fan of "Transformers in Space" in general, so that's another strike against Headmasters. To me, both of those elements make it comparable to Energon.

On the plus side, I liked how the Japanese treated the Headmasters and Targetmasters. I was never a fan of the Nebulons. I also liked how the Pretenders were realized in Masterforce. It seemed more in line with the way I would have expected the concept to have worked--Transformers with a humanoid disguise, rather than being concealed in a living humanoid shell with a separate identity.

13. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    They were never real clear on that one. Since we never really saw the Throttlebots again(if memory serves), I'm assuming they died in that whole "evil meteor"(UGH!) episode where they got all twisted around. I remember Galvatron even named the meteor some stupid name.

Man, that episode was bad. "Its so OBVIOUS we are going to win!" remember that line? :puke: 

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed Headmasters better than Victory personally, mainly because in headmasters the autobots were actually interesting characters. Kakuryƫ of the Dinosaur force was the best character in Victory apart from Galaxy shuttle, that guy really should have been in it more, he was awesome.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Watch BW if you've just finished watching G1. Especially into the second and third season it's really cool how they tie together. After that watch the HM/MF/Victory dubs, as they branch-off from G1 in a very broken fashion. (due to the fact that the '86 movie was delayed in Japan)

16. Black Sideswipe

Ugh yeah. :banghead: 

That's unfortunate. I was hoping for confirmation that the Throttlebots weren't a bunch of suicidal maniacs. R.I.P., Goldbug. You got a shiny new body just to lunge it into the wake of an evil meteor for no good reason at all.

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It actually wasn't any clearer in the original Japanese, but regarldess, the Throttlebots turned up alive and well towards the end of the series.

18. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My personal favs from 1st to 3rd:
    1. Masterforce
    2. Headmasters
    3. Victory

Victory is the one I like the least but the robots designs are simply amazing. very innovative transformation style & with an emphasis on combiners. somewhat a precursor to the Takara Brave series.

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

It seems to be a pretty common trend in Japanese animes like Headmasters for the "old" characters to turn up, IF they turn up, mostly just as comic relief/cannon fodder. I mean, look how Cyclonus and Scourge ended up...to say nothing of Goldbug leading the other minibots into their (stupid) fates in that evil meteor episode. Just about the only characters to be spared from this fate are Galvatron and a few Autobots (Rodimus and Ultra Magnus come first in mind).

Yeah yeah, we all know Galvatron survives a whole planet exploding at ground zero only to be killed by a few tonnes of ice, and Ultra Magnus barely shows up until he basically just stands there to be shot at and killed, but at least they do something useful a few times so they're not entirely in the "cannon fodder" category.

I definitely second the earlier statement about the Japanese version of the headmaster concept...it's decidedly less odd than the Nebulon one. Albeit the Marvel comic special was still pretty good.

20. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Masterforce is easily my favourite, great characterisation, it's a serial rather than a series, some fantastic TF's: Overlord, Buster and Hydra, Browning (although his voice gets on my tits), Fire Guts Ginrai, Brave Max (who is underused), and much better use of the Pretender concept.

Not forgetting regular shouts of:

MASTAAAHH-FORCE!!!!!!!!!!