Headmasters-I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Torque, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Ok, I don't get the purpose of Headmasters. I mean, are the TFs really that incapable that they need us to do stuff for them? Is it a thing that fans can dream about so they can become their favorite TFs, is that the appeal? Is it a "two heads are better than one, but one of the heads is a person" kinda thing? I'm just confused to the concept.

I mean, I get targetmasters. I mean, one mind on moving, one on shooting. But HEADS?! How does it even make any sense?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    In US Rebirth it makes no sense.

It makes a bit more sense in Japanese Headmastsers, where the little robots that make the heads are the actual, sentinet individuals and the larger bodies are upgrades, sort of like suits, to allow them to fight and interact with other robots.

Also these days there's usually an elaborate backstory. Such as in IDW where Headmasters were a creation of a human faction that used cyborg-enhanced soldiers and headless clones of Sunstreaker's body as their way of fighting the Transformers. The usual Headmaster characters are just regular robots. Or in Armada where the only "Headmaster" was Sideways, who had different heads for each of his personalities/factions.

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

My BRO.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Japanese Headmasters make sense and are neat. US Headmasters are full of suck.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like the US Headmaster characters better, though. They were all essentially non-characters in Japan's Headmasters with not even the most shallow of personalities, but I like excitable nerdy Brainstorm and kind-of-snooty intellectual Highbrow of the US fiction, for instance.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Headmasters are awesome and The Rebirth is better than the majority of season 2. BOOM, I said it.

If you read the Marvel mini (not that I'm recommending this, mind you), they try to go a little further towards providing a justification.

But yeah, in the cartoon, it is pretty much a case of two minds sharing expertise and providing a wider scope of past experience, leading to quicker, better decisions. In theory, anyway.

Plus, you have the added bonus of momentarily freezing your opponent in his tracks because he is freaking out trying to understand what he is seeing, watching you self-decapitate. Cyclonus spoke for the audience when he said, "WHAT THE DEVIL--?!!"

I also like the idea that they had to butcher Daniel and turn him into some feakshow cyborg that contorts his limbs to fold into a head shape, in order to save his life.

That also applies to most Japanese TF shows versus the Western productions. But yeah, completely.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That description helps me like that concept a bit more. I only watched the US version of it and it I thought it was stupid as hell.

8. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    I just watched it. In Rebirth one of the reasons was the Nebulons were experienced against the Hive. And like Highbrow says, "It's the only meritorious way out of a meretricious situation."

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Those are words?! :p 

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

headmasters comic saga is cool too - galen and some other people have sugery to come headmasters heads

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    It sort-of makes sense. One mind focuses on his opponent, while the other mind helps in other ways, like keeping tabs on the battle around them, looking for patterns in enemy movement, or finding solutions to immediate problems. It's a dual-focus upgrade.

The "better driver" thing Rebirth did is absolute bullcrap however.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Headmasters show may have its faults, but I've always really enjoyed the backstory for the Headmasters in this show.

"Head ON!" :D 

13. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    "Head ON!"

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And "Transform DASH!"

15. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How many processors does your PC have?

There's a reason we have dual, quad, what have you systems. The more processors you have then theoretically the quicker your computer "thinks."

There's also the fact that even in the real world we have the maxim "Two heads are better than one." which means the more people you have working on a problem the faster you can get through it and the more perspectives you have helping you solve the problem.

Headmasters make perfect sense in this regard. When the two minds are working in sinc you get Transformers who literally think twice as fast as a single bot. Can deal with twice as many problems at once and can look at any problems from multiple perspectives at once to find a solution.

Becoming a Headmaster isn't a matter of the TFs lacking or being deficient of something it's a matter of doubling all their reflexes, response times, processing and reasoning power. It is a big upgrade and a "super power" and is pretty much treated so in the fiction.

It's a good tech idea.

-ZacWilliam, it also makes for much good interpersonal drama and storytelling opportunities. In that way it easily trumps the Japanese version, IMO.

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I've always liked the comics interpretation best. The eventual Zarak/Scorponok characterisation eventually became one of the great elements of the comic series.

17. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. Love the HM miniseries as a kid and today. Zarak there and later from Furman rocked.

-ZacWilliam, that's a good example of what I said above about the greater personal drama and story potential of the US version.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally prefer the Japanese version (and later variations on the same thing) where the headbot is the actual core of the robot, and the larger body is their battlesuit. Makes more sense to me, though reading this thread, I'm seeing a lot of good cases for the US version (though it all depends on the robot and the Headmaster being properly synched - one or the other not focusing will ruin the unity)

That being said, one of the most appealing concepts to me barely ever got any use - when you have a robot who becomes a head, they can have more than one body! Only really used in Headmasters with the "Cross Head On" where they swapped heads to gain power... somehow... and the TFcon 2011 comic where Stronghold switched from his battle body to his less heavily armed (but Fort Max Big Transform capable) Fortress body.

19. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    I love the Headmasters (US and Japanese). Like others have said: I prefer the story line of the japanese version but like the US characters better individually. For anybody that hasn't seen the Japanese version I highly recommend watching the fan dubs on youtube.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Headmasters_(cartoon)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apply directly to the forehead.

As for the Headmasters I have no idea why they decided to do that, but I like them none the less.