Headmasters DVD boxset

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Victory Leo, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Victory Leo

Victory Leo Well-Known Member

Checking up on TF goodies online lately and saw the annoucement Metrodome was realeasing Headmasters in Britian. No big deal right? Releasing with the STAR dub? Again no big deal. Releasing with the Japanese langauge track? No big deal. Why? Because you can already buy boxsets of those that will play on any DVD player and not have to worry about Region 2 nonsense or PAL coding nonsense.

But wait... This boxset not only has the English track but the Japanese track ... on the same discs. No set from Hong Kong has that. Plus with a brand new English translation ... no set has that either. And all for around $30, including shipping! No set has that! So I ordered it from Amazon UK. Got it in about a week.

First off I figured I'd play it on my computer. Don't have to worry about the region 2 or PAL stuff that way. Then I saw it was Region 0. So I tossed it my normal DVD player and gave it a shot. The player utilized its rare PAL setting and bam I have Headmasters goodness! That plays like a normal US DVD.

First off the price, the setup, all makes it worthwhile to have. No box set has had both language tracks on the same discs. Plus the booklet included was nice ... not a translation of the Japanese book but it has some nice stuff. This is a great set and worthwhile and something any US or Canadian fan should be able to watch! Incredible!

I will say there is some cutting. The masters from Japan did not include the previews and recaps but other then that it is complete with original themes. Also as a surprise the first 3 eps have commentary from Chris McFeely, a Transformers fan. His insight into the episodes is fun and worthwhile. He pointed out a few things that I had no idea on while making elements I did know more cohesive. This boxset is so worth the money and I hope the Masterforce boxset will keep this standard! (Although they do misspell Decepitcon about 3 minutes in, but nobodys perfect!

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

For someone who has never seen these series what Metrodome is doing is great. Headmasters is my favorite of the Japanese TF shows I've seen. I highly recommend these box sets.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I recommend them as well. There's some slight flaws in some of the subtitles (nothing tremendous, but if you follow it closely you'll notice them. Episode 12 so far is the worst offender).
    There's also an issue with the constant substitution of "Transform" for the Headmaster's "Transform DASH!". Nothing major, but it's a special technique that gets mentioned once or twice.

No other grumbles from me though, owning the set on an official DVD instead of a HK boot is great stuff, and while its not my favourite series I'm enjoying myself slowly watching my way through it. Actually I ought to get back to it, I'm up to the Mars episodes :) 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Kinda wish now I didn't buy the Laserdisc set of Headmasters in the early 90's. I spent 5 big ones on that. It doesn't even have subtitles. It does have Season 4 in both languages on the last disc though; and the program booklet with it has some rare artwork.

5. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I assume that for $30 USD you get the whole series?

6. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All 35 episodes over 4 disks

7. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I've had VHS bootlegs of the series in both raw Japanese and Star TV format for almost 7 years now, but I really wanted this set.

I bought a copy yesterday off eBay and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Headmasters wasn't the best of the Japanese shows (that honor goes to Victory) but it wasn't the worst (the "honor" goes to Beast Wars II).

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I will not get it because they screwed up the characters names. There now I am done :horse: 

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Trust me, it can be a little jarring, but you really don't notice at all after a while.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Is the english dub the one that was featured on the UK single Takara disk, the one with Star Saber on the cover.
    The dub I'm talking about is the one where it sounds like it's one person doing all the Male voices, and one doing the Female voices.
    If so, nuts to this set, that dub sucked noodles.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Same dub, which is probably only there for the benefit for the kids that might buy it since the subtitled Japanese track is pretty much the entire point of the set.

12. Victory Leo

Exactly. The point of the set is not the STAR TV dub, which did butcher Headmasters, but the new subtitled version which is the first done for a English langauge market. Great stuff!

And yes that is $30 American from Amazon UK ... although I wonder if that was a sale price.

Starsabrej, are you referring to the STAR dub or the subtitling?

Also I disagree DrSpangler I think BW II is heads above Super Link. At least BW II was consistent, funny, and had one of the best casts. (Starscream and BB are classic!) Plus the cute sidekicks only intereacted with the bots for about 3 to 4 episodes, pretty good for a 40 plus episode show.

Victory Leo

13. DrSpengler

Well, you got me there, as I never made it past episode 6 of Energon.

Beast Wars II annoyed me, un fortunately, for the reasons you liked it.

The Japanese always feel an urge to cram as much humor as possible into their Transformer scripts, and in the case of dubs like Beast Wars, it can ruin the story. Beast Wars II had way too much humor, and for me, very little of it was ever funny. The Jointrons were old before their origin episode ended. Then I had to sit through 20 more episodes of bad Mexican stereotypes.

Artemis and Moon...weren't so bad. I prefer their style of narration of Masamune "Won't Shut the Fuck Up" Issei's. Though Artemis' crushing on Scuba and Starscream could get irritating.

I think of all the characters, Starscream and B.B. and Dirge and Thrust were my favorites. At least until the Angolmois Energy upgrades.

But once I think about it, I'mnot sure if I disliked Beast Wars II or Armada more. I'll have to ponder that one.

14. Victory Leo

Actually I liked the fact that it was trying to be funny ... sometimes but I agree with you about the humor falling flat most of the time. It just worked better for me then Super Link because of a superior overall story arc and real character development. Although Super Link Starscream did change and evolve.

Victory Leo

15. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I was refering to the Subtitles. I heard that they used English names instead of the Japanese ones. Calling convoy Optimus Prime... etc.

Also that Star TV dub should be burried and then set off a nuclear bomb on top of it. then dump a pile of crap on what remains.

16. FortMax

FortMax Not Metroplex or Mudflap

I don't understand how calling the characters by their American names impacts the story. The characters who have diffrent names in US and Japan were either called by the American names first (Jazz/Miester), or were not very diffrent (Punch/Spacepunch, Chromedome/Chrome).

Unlike the StarTV dub, the Headmaster heads are called the same name as the transtector, the only exception being Zarak/Scorponok, who had the name difference already.

The only time it was more than a minor change is the choice to use the American names for Zarak/Scorponok and Scorponok/Megazark.

If Metrodome used the American names for the characters in Masterforce and Victory, than I woud have a problem.
    [/rant]

17. DrSpengler

I have to agree, I think it's a good choice to use the American names.

Headmasters is a sequel to season 3 and for the average Transformer fan who hasn't studied up on the Japanese names of all the characters, this method is much more coherent.

Besides, it's not like the subtitles are going to be making up names like Star TV did (Billy, Wally, etc).

But yeah, I agree, Masterforce is best left with the original Japanese names as those are NOT the same characters in America.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And, indeed, the Masterforce DVD subs will be using the Japanese character names and terminology. The only change is the use of "Autobot" and "Decepticon" in the name of recognisability and consistency with the Headmasters set.

19. Victory Leo

Chris,

Great to hear that! Loved the commentary by the way? Will there be more on Masterforce? And commentary on more episdoes instead of just one big chunk covering everything? You did a great job and I for one would love to hear more.

Thanks!

Victory Leo

20. Victory Leo

BTB, how did you get involved with the DVD's Chris?

Victory Leo