Headmasters and Masterforce

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BeastWars 4ever, May 18, 2007.

1. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen almost all of Headmasters and most of Masterforce. I have to say, I'm not impressed. They are just not very entertaining. The storys blow beyond compare, and are just plain ridiculous. Sure each series has its moments, but so did Energon. I'm quite glad that it ended with G1 over here, or our continuity would be screwed. So basicly I'm wondering, am I just crazy, or do the series' really suck? If you've seen them, please share your thoughts.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've seen them both, and I don't really care for headmasters. I did like masterforce a lot, but I dont think I could ever sit through another viewing.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, Headmasters was REALLY bad... although it was neat to see the continuation of further stories with the characters that we only met briefly in The Rebirth. Masterforce, on the other hand, is my favorite of the "G1" cartoons. Love the concept, love the characters.

One tip for enjoying both of these shows, however... watch the SUBS, not the horrifying dubs that are out there. It will make a huge difference in your perception of the shows.

4. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I never liked Headmasters, and as far as MF, I didn't like it when I first saw it about 10 years ago, but having re-watched the TV-Nihon subs again a couple months ago, I really like it. You might as well just watch Victory & Zone while you're at it. Not much substance in those, but I highly enjoyed them.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It's so different than the US version because it was written in Japan. The first 3 seasons were written here, thus the stories are better. Had G1 continued here, what we would've gotten would've been much different than what Headmasters was.

The first thing I noticed about those series was the similarity in stories and storytelling styles with the newer Japanese written series like Armada and Energon. It's a cultural thing.

6. old-fashion

old-fashion New Member

hi. I'm japanese, though I hate transformers show written by japanese a lot.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    actually, I'm fairly certain that we would have gotten both headmasters and masterforce. in both series, english exclusive terms (autobots, decepticons, etc) show up in text constantly. There's no reason for that if they werent meant for the english market.

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I find that's up to personal preference. I won't say I hated Headmasters but that particular series had some US G1 aspects that now days irk me. Particularly the episodic nature and the fact that in Headmasters like G1 the scaling was all over the place.

Masterforce and Victory rocked as they ACTUALLY took damage when they get punched or shot. Add to that that each episode while at times episodic you can still tell that they were building up to something. And the characters in both shows got more characterization then they ever did in the US G1 cartoon. Despite being Japanese I found myself pleasantly surprised that a G1 oriented cartoon actually had that level of characterization. Plus the animation for Masterforce and Victory was excellent

9. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Can't say I cared for either but then again I did watch the dubbed ones and not the subtitled versions, definitely seemed closer to Armada and Energon than say US G1 IMO.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the dubs are garbage and arent accurate at all, so if you've only seen the dubs, you havent really seen the series.

11. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

How are the Beast Wars Neo and II?

12. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

i didn't like headmasters

masterforce picks up around the time ginrai appears and gets really good.

13. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Awesome

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Headmasters I didn't really care for. Too much of it was spent on random battles and not enough on developing the cast. Although there were some great moments.

Masterforce on the other hand I enjoyed, bots take damage and the villains in that one present a real threat.

15. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I'll admit that HEADMASTERS doesn't have a very good story. It just sort of meanders from place to place with little impact.

But, MASTERFORCE is a great series in my opinion. The story is actually structured like an epic tale, building to several effective climaxes and the big showdown at the end. I don't usually like the series long story arcs so overused now, but here it worked for me. The new slant on the whole Transformer idea is original and interesting, and the character designs are great.

There a are few things I don't like - The Headmaster juniors of course. Nice idea, but the kids are, once again, hysterical grotesques. I also wish the Pretenders had been given more exposure. The Decepticons being used for 'comic relief' jarred with the rest of the show's dark theme too much.

Pity VICTORY suddenly made everything crap again.

16. Slamdance

Slamdance The Sustainable 'Bot

I've got all three series now thanks to metro, and i can say headmasters is definately the weakest out of the three. Masterforce comes back with a new and original idea, and the victory brings it back to basic whilst also tying into masterforce, brilliant.

17. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I thought they sucked, after seeing the "Star TV" dub. It was so bad I felt like throwing up. Then I saw the TV-Nihon sub of them and loved Masterforce. Headmasters is ok. It kind of reminds me of the US G1 show a lot, and that is what the creators intended I think..

18. Tracks_25

Tracks_25 We rollin'

I just got the (Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory) DVDs yesterday and I'm absolutely elated! Ive only watched the first episode and it was okay but I loved seeing Hound, Sideswipe, Prowl & the others again. It was very very cool!

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I hated Masterforce so much. Headmasters wasn't as bad.

20. WheatiesBoy

WheatiesBoy Destroyer

The only good Transformers series were Generation 1 and Beast Wars. And they were f*cking AMAZING.