Minor/Repaint: Headed for a Cliff (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SkyQuake, Mar 2, 2007.

1. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Firstly, I will say, don't get your hopes up. The head is already a little misshapen.... Also, there are a couple of air bubble hole problems on the nose, and Cliffjumper's right helmet tip. The expanding mold I made deteriorated quickly. So, I doubt I would get a better second shot out of it. I'm considering filling the air bubble holes in with super glue.... This is my first attempt at casting my own parts ever.

[​IMG]

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Iwouldnt have had the guts so more power to you

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Iwouldnt have had the guts so more power to you

4. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Thanks. Any advice from anyone is also welcome.

5. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Thanks. Any advice from anyone is also welcome.

6. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

i'd look into smooth-on products. they're inexpensive (relatively), and fantastic for casting small parts.
    as for filling in the air bubbles, don't use super glue; you'll end up doing more harm than good. it can corrode or damage that kind of plastic. get a good, air-drying, two-part modeling compound like apoxie-sculpt from aves. it's pricey, but it'll be the best investment you'll make. a little goes a long way, it's super durable, and you can shape it with a file after it dries.

7. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

i'd look into smooth-on products. they're inexpensive (relatively), and fantastic for casting small parts.
    as for filling in the air bubbles, don't use super glue; you'll end up doing more harm than good. it can corrode or damage that kind of plastic. get a good, air-drying, two-part modeling compound like apoxie-sculpt from aves. it's pricey, but it'll be the best investment you'll make. a little goes a long way, it's super durable, and you can shape it with a file after it dries.

8. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Cool! I'll look for it. Thanks.

9. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Cool! I'll look for it. Thanks.

10. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Good luck dude like rumble said, i wouldnt even have the guts to make something on my own, or even less the knowledge.. so keep us posted

11. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Good luck dude like rumble said, i wouldnt even have the guts to make something on my own, or even less the knowledge.. so keep us posted

12. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I figure I owe everyone a photo with the first coat of paint on it. It's a little fuzzy, but I still have to apply several more coats, and straighten up some lines. I screwed up the sides of the head a little by trying to make Cliffjumper's helmet ridges extend to the back of the head. The thinnest dremel pad was just too wide. I think when I finish this, I'll try to do another expansion mold again. While this head is somewhat okay in a school art project sort of way, I am dissatisfied (too many imperfections). When I'm done with this, I'll post the final pics. Until then, have at thee....

[​IMG]

13. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I figure I owe everyone a photo with the first coat of paint on it. It's a little fuzzy, but I still have to apply several more coats, and straighten up some lines. I screwed up the sides of the head a little by trying to make Cliffjumper's helmet ridges extend to the back of the head. The thinnest dremel pad was just too wide. I think when I finish this, I'll try to do another expansion mold again. While this head is somewhat okay in a school art project sort of way, I am dissatisfied (too many imperfections). When I'm done with this, I'll post the final pics. Until then, have at thee....

[​IMG]

14. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    looks not bad but it seems a little to large?or is it just the angle maybe?

15. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    looks not bad but it seems a little to large?or is it just the angle maybe?

16. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

It's sort of a byproduct of the expansion mold. If you try to poor the head when it's smaller, it could come out more misshapen in proportions. Also, I tend to think that we've gotten used to TFs with really small heads when compared to the rest of their bodies.

17. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

It's sort of a byproduct of the expansion mold. If you try to poor the head when it's smaller, it could come out more misshapen in proportions. Also, I tend to think that we've gotten used to TFs with really small heads when compared to the rest of their bodies.

18. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Hmm i gues when compared to the rest of the body, its pretty proportional. Yet, when you look at the head you realize that the head is a little too long not big, but long going up and down which makes it seem a bit unfit to go with the body.

19. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Hmm i gues when compared to the rest of the body, its pretty proportional. Yet, when you look at the head you realize that the head is a little too long not big, but long going up and down which makes it seem a bit unfit to go with the body.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say large, just tall.

It looks a little, distorted... some sanding on the face (the rest came out awesome!) and a matching coat of paint would own magnets!