Heavy/Scratch: head swap for DOTM Skyhammer

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by twichy, May 19, 2011.

1. twichy

twichy Well-Known Member

so i hate the movie verse aesthetic... but got skyhammer anyways cuz it wasn't that bad. he has actual hands and normal-ish feet. the one thing that made me cringe was his head. so i dug around in my old toys, for something less mosquito-ish. i saw that energon prowl had colors that would mesh well with skyhammer's body. i had to mod the head a little to get prowl's head to fit on skyhammer's huge ball joint. it just took a like grinding with a dremel to make enough space in prowls head to get it to fit. i just had to screw energon prowl's head back together on the ball joint and i was done. came out perfect no worries about the head popping off. i did have to pop off energon prowl's antenna though... or else it wouldn't have fit, or been capable of transforming. i think it looks WAY better.

is there any classic-verse character it resembles? cuz that head never really did scream prowl in energon.

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm not so sure about this match-up.... I agree mostly with your sentiments about the Bayformer aesthetic, but his head feels just a little too large and blocky overall to match with these proportions. I'd go with a smaller head, preferably one with some more intricate molded details.

As for who it resembles, I can't think of anyone right off, but with a few changes, there are a some options...

Give him a visor/faceplate combo and he becomes a decent Vortex.
    Repaint the body, and you've got a good Blades (though as a military copter).
    Give him a goggle/visor and he could be Rotorstorm.
    Swap the head with another and Whirl is an option.
    With a different head and a desert repaint, I think he'd make a sweet Sandstorm, albeit with only one alt-mode.

Probably your best option, without needing too much repainting or additional mods would be Highbrow, though he wouldn't be a tandem rotor copter. The palette and head almost match... just in darker, more muted tones.

zmog

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, I'm with SMOG. That head doesn't seem to compliment the body well. Maybe if he had more of a neck it might be fitting. Can you give him a bit of a neck to see how it looks?

Great idea, though.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    okay... nicely done, but it doen't fit to the entire figure imho

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    yep agree with the others, the head is a bit too big

6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I think the head looks fine, sure its a little big, but much better than the original head.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The original head is actually one of the Bayformer heads that doesn't bother me so much... but I'm not one of those people who insists you can't mix traditional and movie aesthetics. In this case, I think something a bit smaller would work better proportionately.

Unless you decide to go for Highbrow... all of those Headmasters had oversized heads! :) 

As mentioned above, a neck might help some....

zmog

8. Goji

Goji The Frenchiest Fry

Carve up the head and make it look all bayformer like.

9. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

i think it looks good and i dont think the head is too big IMO.

10. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HUGE improvement on the Bayformer look, but yeah maybe just a bit too large.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    since the Transformers are based on humanoid life forms when in robot mode. I feel the head is very proportionate to the body.

nice job.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I think it looks fine. Just changes the aesthetic of the over all figure, with the larger head, he looks like a less-built smaller-frame guy which is fine. Not better or worse, just different. If you're happy I wouldn't mess with it!

D/L

13. twichy

twichy Well-Known Member

The figure has such broad shoulders, and that torso is so freakishly long... I don't think the head is disproportionate at all. I'm not really planning on doing anything else with the figure. This is the most drastic thing I've done to a toy, or toys since I ruined the possibility of putting the head back on the energon body. Lol.

14. twichy

twichy Well-Known Member

Oh and all this talk about not having a neck... The original head does gove much of a neck either. Just that it can tint backwards. Which I could get this head to do with a little more grinding. But I dont want to screw it up. So I'll just leave it.

15. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

that head works well.awesome. want for sure.