Customs: Head swap - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Xenon, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok guy's, I've bought a G2 Hero Megatron head that I plan to put on my United Megatron's body, however there is a slightly problem as the head obviously doesn't have a ball joint like the Classics/Henkie/United mold.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think would be my best option? Do I cut the ball joint off the spare Classics head off and try sticking it to the G2 head? This really worries me, because I can see the ball joint coming off once I force it into the socket of the figure. Any help would be great.

Oh, and here is how it will roughly look... Although I do plan on giving the G2 head a new paint scheme of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Try seeing if you can use a similarly sized balljoint that will fit in the socket of your Classics Megs.

The idea would be to fix the ball joint to the bottom of the G2 Megs head. You'd need to fill in the hollow portion with putty, maybe even shaving down the screw post a little bit. It might be a good idea to reinforce the ball joint with a pin or screw that will go as deep into the head as possible. That way, it can withstand being popped on and off and moved around during transformation.

If you're worried about screwing it up, send me a PM. I can definitely help you out with this.

3. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep i agree with satomiblood. take the head off a screw and use it to re-inforce the ball joint fixing by putting a small hole in the ball joint end too. make it even stronger by using a bit of glue in the holes. hope it helps

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Satomiblood said it all.

Also, any plans for that Classics Megatron head now that you have it off? If not, I shoot a few bucks to you for it. :) 

5. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure yet as Satomiblood is gonna do this for me. If he doesn't need the Classics head, then it's yours. Just pay for post. I'll let you know soon :) 

6. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Since it's already been said as to what to do and Satomiblood is gonna do it for ya, I just wanted to say that the G2 Megs head will look awesome on the Classics/Henkei/United body.

7. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

why not justcut the ball joint off with a section of its head and then dremil the remaining plastic kibble off so that the ball joint hasa flat base on it to attach it to the other heads bottom?

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Because when you're attaching a ball joint to another piece, you want the connection a bit more sturdy than just glue. If you need to pull the head back off for some reason, the ball joint will just come unglued, no matter what adhesive you use.

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

ever consider epoxy glue? the shit works wonders on a mod like this

10. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    buy a new ball-joint from online hobby shops,
    drill the head clean and putty the new ball joint in with the stem.
    It should hold very well.

you can even make resin casts of the new head.

oh and your title should read as "advice needed"

11. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I could, I would but I don't have the gear to do that. However if Satomiblood has got the resources, then I'm more than happy for him to make casts from it. I only sent it to him on Friday afternoon so it's going to take a while before it reaches him though.

I'm also going to atempt to make a G1 styled chest piece out of styrene & the old chest piece like hXcpunk23 did ( http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...assics-megatron-wip-update-5-29-10-p-2-a.html ) as spoonman seems to gone on an extended break :) 

Opps! It won't let me change the main title.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

The key to these types of mods is reinforcing the parts. Epoxy alone won't do it.

And as Xenon already mentioned, I don't have the resources or experience to cast parts. Someone else will have to step in for that.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just get a headless screw the same size as the hole on the g2 megs head, cut the ball joint off, drill a hole in it and screw them together.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Which is what a number of us have more or less said.

15. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Just check out my entire WIP thread and it should kinda give ideas on what I did. I used 3 sheets of thick styrene (not sure on the actual thickness--I'd have to double check), measured and cut, cut a groove into the top sheet to make it more "G1", then glued them together. The sides of mine still need some sanding and putty work to smooth them out more, but the front is done. I'm still working on perfecting the head some with some very light sanding to the face and new helmet I built over the old.

If you need any tips on this or have questions about my WIP thread, hit me up and I'll be glad to help. Just be careful when cutting the figure--you'll need to cut off the old chest piece on Classics Megatron just above the hinge that allows it to fold open. The newly built chest will be attached to that hinge. Also, you'll need to hollow out a bit inside the chest to allow the head to fit in alt mode. And one last tip, the new chest won't fit well in alt/gun mode. You'll need to cut a section of the gun to allow it. I haven't reached this part yet, but I'm planning to do that or come up with an alternate transformation. Just not sure on that end yet.

16. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    And I agree, for the most part. I will say that I've tried a smaller ball joint for a deluxe figure that I super glued into place, then reinforced with sculpting putty. Once it all dried, it held great.....until I decided to go a different route and abandon that idea. lol (the ball joint and post were just too small for even a small screw to try and hold--it would've shredded the post and left it all unusable).

When you can, definitely reinforce it with a screw and/or sculpting putty. If you put enough putty in and push it into all grooves or holes surrounding the ball joint, it should help hold, especially if you let the super glue dry and hold it first.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I could've sworn I posted in this thread once before...

I would just cut away all of the G2 Megatron's head leaving only the face. Then I'd dremel out the face of the classics helmet. Then glue the face into the helmet. You get the G2 face with the better looking classics helmet.

18. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest I'm just not a fan of the Classics/Henkei/United head at all, including the helmet. I Know that the G2 head isn't perfect but it is a lot closer to the style that I am looking for.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

If anyone wants to step in to cast the new head, please let Xenon (and myself) know.

20. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started work on the new chest today, using styrene and the original chest from my old Classics Megatron:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now need to add the details such as the 6 vents and 2 triangle bits, but I'm worried that I'm gonna mess up.