Minor/Repaint: He is going to SHOCK the world, because he is none other than...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by QmTablit, Aug 22, 2011.

1. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

THE SHOCK...MASTER!!! *crashes through wall* (He fell flat on his arse. He fell flat on his f***in' arse.)

WIP Shockwave

[​IMG]

Pretty much standard issue stuff here. Nothing's exceptionally original, as much of the work had been done by different Radicons on their own Shockwaves. I'm just taking a lot of people's ideas and using them all on one figure.

Couldn't nab a Shockblast so I got a Six Shot from a local collector.

Took the arms from a Universe Countdown, the redeco of Cyb. CD Red Alert. They don't fit perfectly straight off the figure. I had to pull a bit of trickery to get them on there solid.

The gun-hand is from a KO G1 Shockwave, held on currently with a peg.

Also swapped the lower legs and turned the feet around for aesthetics.

Lots of work still to be done. To be completely honest, this figure's been at this point of work roughly a year and a half. There's more of the G1 figure I want to incorporate into the new figure like the backpack, and there's trying to figure out an alt mode. And I just haven't grown the balls to just start hacking away at major mods and possibly scratch building.

There's one final bonus that's going to be on this figure, but it's not ready yet, so I can't show it. I know people are going to love it though.

Anyway, here's some early pictures of the work done so far. Have at it with the comments, critiques, and questions.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    you are off to a great start kusanagi!

all this shockwave love lately has got me wanting to do one per haps its time i consider it

3. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

That looks really good! I wish I had talent for this sort of thing.

4. Dez7734

Dez7734 Well-Known Member

LOL @ Shockmaster

Great job!

5. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Nice! I digg that

6. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably in the minority on this but if the arms were the same colours as the rest of the figure, I wouldn't even paint it. I dunno why, but that green and purple combo looks really nice.

7. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I love this figure and what you did so far. I don't really think it needs more adaptations or even scratch works.
    The parts you have chosen are pretty much proportional and the incorporated KO G1 cannon is more than enough to bring up the G1 vibe.

About the altmode, doesn't matter what you do it will look the same as the various other versions shown in this forum because this mould is very limited as you have probably noticed.

All you need now is to attach a hose to his cannon arm and to do some good paintjob.
    I really like the red chest piece as is, It would be good seeing you to keep this piece translucent for your final product.
    And IMO his feet look much better original than inverted, sorry but they look kinda weird that way.
    But that's just my opinion. Good luck!

8. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes that's an option too, he really looks like an updated version of Energon Sixshot.

9. nemesis_primusX

nemesis_primusX the autobot quick-killer

You know what.....because everyone else is jumping on the band wagon and creating a Shockwave, I'm jus gunna have to muster up the BRAVERY and just create my own

but still awesome

10. QmTablit

It's definitely one of the must-do customs. Until Hasbro/Takara get to making one anyway.

Plus it's really nice that there's not just one formula that'll work. You see all kinds of arms put on this figure. Some even choose to change up the legs. Lots of possibilities, and it makes each one just that much more unique.
    If there's any talent that I have, it's that I can come up with good ideas. I merely get by with passable execution.

But hey, that's what practice is all about. You'll never get a black belt if you don't train.
    Thanks.
    Maybe if it actually suited a G1 character. But hey, the color scheme was decided on Hasbro/Takara designers, so they had to know what would appeal to people.
    Thanks. I've thought at times of leaving it as-is and just ignoring the fact that it transforms into what kind of looks like a tank or somewhat of a satellite. I just really want to customize this as a full Transformer, transforming. I'll figure something out.

The feet will look better after a little bit of modding and painting. I'm not the first to do it, I believe hxcpunk also turned his Shockwave's feet around.
    Yeah, I jumped on this bandwagon a long while ago, Encline can attest to that as he's seen it in person sometime last year.

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    To say I'm a Shockwave fanboy is an understatement, so seeing this rocks my socks brother.

Lookin' good and I'm sure it's gonna' come out great!

And btw, you take a nice picture: Consider the Cleah Pics thread /plug

12. QmTablit

Thanks.
    I just might. Take some of my collection and just pose other figures about randomly.

You know, I've had my camera for over 3 years and I'm just now starting to use it properly (ie: using manual focus, messing with aperture and shutter speed settings, and not relying on the preset settings).

I'm also really anal about the pictures I take. This is art, and I want to showcase my ability to its fullest. And if it sucks, then I'll take the best pictures possible so you forget how much it sucks. Haha

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's looking great thus far. Shockwave is definitely the Flavor of 2011.

14. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i love this.

15. QmTablit

Thanks guys.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nice. I've had one of these kicking around for years now (I'm sure many of us have).

The Countdown arms look good on this mold... beefier than the Jetfire arms, and you get the bicep swivel missing from those. How much "trickery" did it take to make them fit? Was it just a matter of cutting/sanding them down, thickness-wise?

I like the feet. I've got 'em backwards on mine too, for the same reason.

zmog

17. QmTablit

Yeah, I tried a Treadbolt arm at first, but I thought it was a bit too skinny. Then I tried Stormcloud's arm, and had no idea how I was going to make the attachment work. Countdown's looked really good and it didn't take that much work to fit them onto the figure.

As for the trickery, the arms are a bit thick for the shoulder parts (and they're uneven at that), so I had to shave them down some to fit. And then the arms accommodated a ratchet joint, so I had to fill in the cavity left by the springs and such with some other parts that fit the posts in Shockblast's shoulders (which turned out to be from Cliffjumper's jetski).

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

In other words, you gutted the springs and ratchets, and added other filler to make a tight enough friction joint?

I've been stalled on my Shockwave custom forever, looking for "just the right parts" to make for a smooth kitbash. Seems like there are no easy solutions (except for those Jetfire arms, but I don't like the lack of bicep swivel and the leanness of them).

More recently I was going nuts trying to find a way to extend his legs, to get that distinctive Shockwave long-legged look. Nothing wants to fit right. I love how almost every mold is unique with Transformers, but sometimes I really wish they'd use a more consistent array of standard parts and sizes, especially regarding joints and stuff. It would make life so much easier. :redface2: 

zmog

19. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Kudos on the Shockmaster reference!

20. QmTablit

Yeah, that'd be the quick way of saying it.
    It would. Standardized ball-jointed heads alone would be a dream.