hdmi quit on my ps3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, May 24, 2010.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hey guys. I just picked up a used ps3, 80 gig fat model. I've had it hooked up for about a week. Set it up for hdmi, and it's worked fine. Had a few minutes today, and started playing. After about 10 minutes, the screen goes black and says "no input". I check the connection, and it's still plugged in good. When I touched the cable, the screen came back on for a second, but when back black after moving my hand. I've not been able to get the hdmi to output since. I switched it over to standard av cables, and it's outputting fine. (after resetting) I tried going back to hdmi, resetting, and nothing. Is the hdmi output dead? The thing has a warranty, and I'm wondering if I should go swap it. Thanks.

I did a search, and didn't find anyone whose stopped working, just people that never had it working.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Actually sounds like the cable might have a stress break in it. Do you have a different HDMI cable you can check.

Also, have you tried doing the hard reset of the PS3's display? I've had my HDMI go black from time to time. Turn on the system, hold the reset button until it beeps three times. that will set the HDMI setting back to 480i and let you re set the display.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Cable swap.

4. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed. BTW, this is totally off topic, but who's the chick in your avatar Smasher? She's hot!

5. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I'll pick up another cable and try it. The hard reset is what I was referring to about resetting it. I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    just unplug and wait 5 min then replug it in. i had the same problem yesterday.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Evangeline Lilly?

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes, or Kate if you wish. :) 

9. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I had a PS1 av cable do that. For a while I could wrap the cable around the system but eventually that stopped working too.

Chuck

10. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Okay, bought a new hdmi cable. Hooked it up, worked for about 20 minutes, black screen. Reset, black screen. Hooked up component cables, reset, works. I think it's going to get swapped. Any other ideas?

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Only one, but it's prolly a dud.
    Frog the HDMI port on the TV.

In other words, if the PS3 is using HDMI 1 on your TV, change it to HDMI 2.
    That's just to eliminate the TV as the problem.
    But, it's probably your PS3 I'm afraid. :( 

12. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Okay, was doing more research last night. I unplugged EVERYTHING last night when I went to bed, cables, power, everything. Hooked it all back up this morning, reset the ps3, and it's working like a charm. My son's been on it for almost 2 hours now. Any thoughts? Hardware conflict? Thanks for all the replies.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    How old is your TV?
    Early model HDTVs had a notoriously bad time handshaking with devices.

Hopefully that's all it was.

That's why most set top boxes cycle a logo or something when they are 'off'.
    It keeps video going through the cable so the TV doesn't lose the EDID from the device.

14. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    TVs less than 6 months old. It's funny, didn't have trouble with my 360 on this tv with HDMI, but I had to go to component to hook up my headset (turtle beach). Still working fine, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. (knocks on wood) Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It is appreciated.

15. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

its hand shaking, you will have the problem again at some point. simply unplug the HDMI, then reconnect it. Works every time.

16. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    You called it. Played MNR for 2 days. Then last night, black screen. Is it something I should exchange the console over? I've got the hd component cables if need be. It's an 80 gig bc unit is the reason I'm hesitant to swap it. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get another bc unit. Thoughts? Should I just deal with it. (BTW, I got a great deal on it to begin with)

17. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

^

No its just something to deal with, or you could buy a more expensive HMDI cable. You would have to do some research on the cable you buy, I think HDMI 1.3 addresses the handshaking issue.

I have to do this unplug/plug periodically with both my dvd player and cable box, and even with a cable box I had before. You will see this more frequently if you switch inputs on the TV alot. Probably about 1 or 2 times a week.

The short of it is nothings wrong with your PS3, and the only way to really get rid of the problem is to get a newer HMDI cable or TV, and neither of those are gauranteed, unless they are speced for HDMI 1.3 or later. Or you could downgrade your video to component. You wont have this problem with analog cables.

18. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Thanks Deathblade. Good info.