HDMI cable-equipped, still lousy movies?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigertrack, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hey there again. A while ago I asked about Netflix and I've got my Xbox set up with a Netflix account and have been watching a few movies and TV shows on it. I like it and all, but the picture quality is lacking.
    I did upgrade from the standard VGR cable that came with the Xbox to an HDMI cable and I notice a difference in the games, but not much better quality with movies. Picture is still heavily pixilated as if trying to watch an Ipod image that has been stretched for big-screens.
    I am using the wireless system in our house, could that be the cause?
    We get all of our internet and TV through Direct TV an Quest wireless service as we are not hard-wired here in the Black Forest.

Our TV signal is awesome and we definitely get HD. So, any suggestions? Should I hard-wire the Xbox into the wireless receiver that we use for our internet services? It's awesome having thousands of movies and shows via Netflix, but the picture quality sucks! I mean it's watchable, but not enjoyable.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm using the component HD cables and the picture quality is fine for me.

What's your connection speed?

3. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Netflix video quality will depend on your internet speed.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Then it helps that I have a 50 Mbps connection

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    You better have fast speeds or Netflix will look like crap.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Also, the big one is to go into your 360s settings and make sure its outputting in high def, not sd still.

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I think that's been my problem all along. My interwebz is moderately fast, but apparently not fast enough for that.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Netflix will show you what your connection speed is.
    You should get up to 4 bars, or preferably 4 bars plus HD on the display.

If you’re not certain, you can hit the ‘i’ while it’s playing and it will show you how much time the show has left with the connection speed on the top right.

I can tell you that consoles seem to get priority bandwidth from Netflix.
    I have my Xbox hooked up to the same monitor as my PC and I have watched shows that have been fairly pixilated on the PC (The Keep comes to mind) and then switched over to the Xbox and it looked incredibly better –no pixilation hardly at all.

And, for the record, the PC and the Xbox are set to the same resolution.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Also keep in mind that some of the stuff on instant view is based on the original sd sources for older stuff and they do not offer hd for somethings. Married with children is a good example. My picture looks the same on that from 2 bars up to 4. So a combo of connection speed from your isp and to your modem/router and whether the streaming video is offered wiht HD or not. If you are able to connect your xbox via ethernet see if you get a better picture because there are a lot of factors that can weaken your wireless connection. If worse comes to worse with the wireless connection there are signal boosters. Just some ideas for troubleshooting the issue.

10. Tigertrack

I'm not sure what my internet speed is but on my computer downstairs it seems pretty fast.
    So, I'll try the settings. Thank you!

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Is your Xbox hardwired into your router or are you using the onboard WiFi? If you are using the WiFi connection you can be losing a lot of quality there. If you can connect the Xbox to your router then the only thing that would be left to limit your quality would be your Internet speed.

12. Tigertrack

My Xbox is currently using the built in WIFI for simplicity. I'll have to see if I can plug it in directly. Trick is, the Xbox is upstairs in the living room, and the internet system is downstairs in the basement.

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's a good chance that the distance between the two (or some of the objects between your router and the wif-fi receiver) are degrading your wi-fi signal. You can use a wi-fi signal extender to bridge the gap a bit between the two. Not always perfect, but it can potentially help a lot.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I use the built in wireless on the Xbox, too.
    But mine is just down the hall from the wireless router.

I think the distance, plus the basement might be prohibitive.

Do you have a PC down in the basement?
    If you do, stream a video from the PC that's down there to your Xbox and check the quality. That might be easier than carting the console down there.

15. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Unless you have both an N router and have nothing else in the neighborhood get near those frequencies then you might be able to get HD. Otherwise you need cable to get a good signal.

So I guess the question is do you rent or own the house you're living in? Are there windows you can work a cable through. It is kind of redneck, but you could always run a line up the outside of your house. Another option would be to fish a line down to the basement to connect everything. It can either be cake or a pain in the butt, all depending on how everything's built.

16. Tigertrack

I live with my Dad in a house that we own. Our HD satelite TV is beautiful! And it is from the same service we get our internet.
    I think that the distance between Xbox and router might be an issue. I'll try and see if a signal booster might help.

I asked my Dad about hard-wiring the Xbox to the router in the basement and he said it would be very difficult to do. So, I guess the next thing is to try the signal booster.

17. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think you need to separate your thinking between how the TV looks and how the Xbox looks. Your Satellite TV looks good because from the source of the signal (your Direct TV or whatever box) to your TV you have a cable of some sort. That is what is giving you a good signal at the TV. Since you don't have that same connection you aren't going to get the same quality.

Another question though, what is the type of wireless router you have? Is it 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n? If it is either of the first two you are on a lower power and lower bandwidth router to begin with. You may try upgrading to a 802.11n router before trying for a range extender.

18. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Not think of trying homeplugs? I'm using them right now and they work just fine, play on XBL with them with no issues at all, so hopefully they'd do ok for movies?

19. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The bandwidth required for gaming and for HD movies is going to be drastically different. Though from looking at Homeplugs specs if you have the latest spec you might be able to get HD video.